Vinyl Me Please Anthology

You don't speak for me, and I doubt you speak for "most of us".

You talk to first-name-basis executives at VMP? I had no idea!
tenor.gif

You don't speak for me, and I doubt you speak for "most of us".

You talk to first-name-basis executives at VMP? I had no idea!
@Enoch has someone taped a “kick me” sign on your back this weekend? This is the second N&G thread I’ve checked this morning and you’ve been called out on both of them.

The vitriol directed at you has been personal and (IMHO) unwarranted. And it’s not the first time this has happened. I honestly don’t understand the need for others to parse every single word in your posts much less the name calling (“VMP fanboy”).

Enoch has a direct-line connection to some of the folks at VMP (I’m guessing due to proximity - but I don’t know that for sure). As a result, he is often privy to VMP information most of us are unaware of. He comes to N&G to occasionally share that information - good or bad. Not as a fanboy but simply as a service to the community.

So, WTF people? I understand the anger at VMP - I’m angry, too. But let’s at least be kind to each other. Mutual respect in the community was the one thing that kept bringing me back to the VMP forum. Unfortunately, I’ve had to stop watching/reading a number of N&G threads because of the personal attacks going on. We’re better than that. I hope.

Just a thought, wonder if replacements and regular shipments are *gasp* being sent to the wrong places. They are running this out of their office or a space nearby. It has been years since they have done shipping on their own. But really I have no idea what is going on. I think most of us agree this looked great on paper but, as in many things VMP lately, execution has been lacking. I am happy the music sounds great (I had a scratch on Dexter and thankfully got a replacement already that is defect free). The ups and downs of VMP, here is great music we want to sell you but at times we are not sure when or what condition (correctness of product, physical, etc) you will get it in though.

This will be a large portion of what I plan to talk to them about this week. I am still all about their curation (I know others who are no longer VMPers still use their curation) but I am going to tell them they need to slow down, focus on a couple of things (they aren't going to drop two tracks and exclusives, so asking them to focus on one thing won't be taken) get those things working as they should (i.e. no more Nat and Outkast, exclusive delays, etc). Once those are fixed and working smoothly to then think if they should expand beyond that. If they do want to expand then they need to make sure they have the resources to do so, adding more to people's plates usually is not sustainable in the long run so either hire more people or not expand into new projects. In my initial phone call with Matt and Llyod, they seemed to understand overextending is bad and the cause of some of their recent troubles but at the same time mentioned wanting to do more cool stuff. I think they need to learn the word "no" or at the very least "not yet." I am if I ran a music club I would want to do all the things but you can't become the Amazon of music clubs in the space of five years nor do I think they should try to be.

Agree pretty much all around. I really think these guys are good dudes who really want this club to be great but theyre more music fans than business people and it shows. I’m glad they are being open to criticism and youre the one talking to them, hopefully its a sign of good things to come and improvements all around (but I better get that replacement Horace soon).

Enoch has a direct-line connection to some of the folks at VMP (I’m guessing due to proximity - but I don’t know that for sure). As a result, he is often privy to VMP information most of us are unaware of. He comes to N&G to occasionally share that information - good or bad. Not as a fanboy but simply as a service to the community.
As far as I know, they responded to quite a few complaints by asking people if they could call them to talk. I thought that's why this was sent up and he initially struggled with whether or not he even wanted to talk to them. He can correct me if I misremembered.

Enoch has a direct-line connection to some of the folks at VMP (I’m guessing due to proximity - but I don’t know that for sure). As a result, he is often privy to VMP information most of us are unaware of.
This has really been overinflated up til now. Matt offered to send me an early exclusive RotM (he also sent a copy to @Vebberim) probably three years ago now. So I had his email address. I have emailed him a couple of times. Nothing groundbreaking was ever shared. The Anthology thing has actually made the connection more in line with what people have thought. In the past, if I ever did receive any info of consequence I shared it. I plan to do the same going forward minus if it is a concept they have that is just being thought of. There was one idea that came up in the phone call that I will be talking with them this week and I really want to share it (it was really the only thing they shared that wasn't kind of already known), it definitely needs to some fleshing out but it would be a good first step and I think if began should be shared (sorry to be so vague). Again most of the phone call was them listening to me, them sharing their basic want to be great (why they have been doing all the different projects) but realizing they overextend (they were contradictory in this), and not new info but they are updating their portal again (this was told to us by Storf when Anthology roled out) to prevent the Nat type situations. I am skeptical with things lately so I am in the believe it when I see camp. But if they are willing to improve and receive feedback on how to then I am willing at this point to go that route. Again I am all about transparency/open communication and continue to call for them to be and will not stop that call, but all companies are working on things behind the scenes and I realize not all of that can be shared, I am not sure VMP is good at determining that line as they have overshared and under shared over the years. I have changed my mind on what has fallen into both categories over those years as well.

I know others are done with them and that is fine. I have left other companies for less and stuck with other companies that have been worse.

There was one idea that came up in the phone call that I will be talking with them this week and I really want to share it (it was really the only thing they shared that wasn't kind of already known), it definitely needs to some fleshing out but it would be a good first step and I think if began should be shared (sorry to be so vague)
If you have information that you can't share, that's cool. There's nothing wrong with that. But I have to ask: why bring it up? Why make a point of saying "I know something you don't know"? I cannot and will not profess to speak for others - I can only speak for myself - but to me this sounds like a kid saying "I know something you don't know, I know something you don't know,". It strikes me as an attempt to elevate oneself above others by making a point of saying that you have privileged information that others cannot have. And you repeatedly let people know this is the case.

If you have information that you can't share, that's cool. There's nothing wrong with that. But I have to ask: why bring it up? Why make a point of saying "I know something you don't know"? I cannot and will not profess to speak for others - I can only speak for myself - but to me this sounds like a kid saying "I know something you don't know, I know something you don't know,". It strikes me as an attempt to elevate oneself above others by making a point of saying that you have privileged information that others cannot have. And you repeatedly let people know this is the case.
I see your point, that was not my intent. I will consider that in the future when sharing. I was wanting to be transparent but didn't consider how that would be taken. I appreciate you bringing this up.

I see your point, that was not my intent. I will consider that in the future when sharing. I was wanting to be transparent but didn't consider how that would be taken. I appreciate you bringing this up.
I don't see it the way @High Rant District does, but the thought has begun to cross my mind that they are basically using you as a free consultant. When you talk to them about all of the issues, it amounts to summing up all the problems that have been raised here and handing this research to them on a silver platter without them having to wade through the "muck" of their old forum where they would have to suffer slings and arrows themselves. This strikes me as super unfair first of all to you, primarily for the reason that it now makes you a type of target. One that storf or pauly or others used to be. I object to the idea of them having their cake and eating it to by bot having to deal with the "problems" of their forum, yet still gaining all the benefits. I can see where some people chafe against the idea that their complaints here may be getting back to them unwanted. Now, you might say that it is a good thing if VMP hear the complaints because then they can work on them to make things better for us. However, I personally am not a VMP customer any longer. The final Anthology shipment will be the last things I get from them unless some unforeseeable (and unlikely) circumstances occur. I see complaining about VMP mistakes here as venting and commiseration with my fellow forum members. I like that I can do that in a place that I feel VMP is separate from. When VMP has made a mistake that I want them to deal with, I am very vocal with them about it through the FB group and other places.

Which I think is good. I do wonder how much stock they put on that but I bet potential subscribers do
Well, from my experience they have now completely stopped giving a shit about the FB group. They have completely ignored multiple messages from me sent to more than one source about an issue I feel is quite serious. As far as I'm concerned now they can go fuck themselves, because that's basically what they are communicating to me that I should do.

And I should add that I feel the transparency is definitely good. When they wanted to call me my thought was to record the whole conversation and post it here for everyone's benefit.

I cannot believe how badly this release has gone down. Constant errors. The hype man. The nonsense of the week after week of teasing. The price point. I think they should lick their wounds and wait before the next release goes down. And if they want actual impartial insight don’t go to a paid hype man, check the customer service messages for people with ears who have an appreciation and spend their own money on the product.

They are contacting @Enoch for his opinion? Good. I’d rather they contact him than Vinyl Junkies, there are others on this forum who could also be used as a sounding board. Contact the people who have cancelled accounts after spending thousands of dollars on their product, see where you went wrong and fix it. The profiles on Reddit snapping at anyone who makes a slight criticism fool no one. How they keep destroying their brand by being tone deaf to customers amazes me! I think that members who are consulted should get some sort of credit system for their time and support.

But I also believe VMP keeps a close eye on this forum. They know what we are saying and know the problems we are having.
They don’t really need customers to directly tell them as it is written here, although they may have to read it through their fingers with gritted teeth as this forum has been even less complimentary to their brand than the previous, which I think is their fault, they misjudged the depth and passion of the community.

Changing the replacement policy is nonsense - change the quality control, people will need less replacements. Closing the forum was nonsense - the forum members have turned generally on them as a result, hype of albums and products has died completely and yet the spirit of those who were branched loyally under them has evolved into a group branched against them.

I’ve been playing a lot of non-VMP records this weekend. No warps. Great sound. No skips. I have enough records to know when one sucks, I don’t need a coin test. I suppose though members with record collections into thousands are not their main base.

Changing the replacement policy is nonsense - change the quality control, people will need less replacements. Closing the forum was nonsense - the forum members have turned generally on them as a result, hype of albums and products has died completely and yet the spirit of those who were branched loyally under them has evolved into a group branched against them.
I do wonder if there would have been a healthy way to close down the forum as I can tell you the way they did didn't seem thought out and yes that was obviously the breaking point for many and understandably so. I too assume they do lurk around here to see what is going on. I wonder if that is part of their reaching out to people on the FB group.

that is why I waited a week to agree to the call, I am pretty sure it wouldn't have been very civil at least not the level I would be comfortable with as I know how I get when I feel things are not right/fair and tend to have an overzealous sense of justice/fairness that isn't always kind to the other person on a phone call.
I didn't know it at the time, but no amount of waiting would have helped me. The way they handled the Dexter jacket (offering 3 different versions of what happened and then only replacing it after intense pressure that they deleted and allowed to be met with harassment that continues to this day) was just the beginning. They let that group deteriorate into a complete shithole and I don't understand why. The only thing I see is that the people who brought the whole vibe down with their antagonization also praise VMP at every opportunity. Sometimes both insulting another member while simultaneously praising the company. The narrative now is that, sure there were some problems but VMP handled themselves great and got out in front of everything and made everyone happy, even though this is absolutely not how things went down. It seems their method worked.

I do wonder if there would have been a healthy way to close down the forum as I can tell you the way they did didn't seem thought out and yes that was obviously the breaking point for many and understandably so. I too assume they do lurk around here to see what is going on. I wonder if that is part of their reaching out to people on the FB group.

They definitely lurk on here. And if they don’t they are the stupidest company that ever existed. Your members/disgruntled ex-members gather together to discuss your product and those of your rivals and you don’t check in? That’s either total arrogance that you are in the right and don’t need a whole section of your customers or total stupidity by a company heading towards the edge of a cliff. I don’t think they post but they know what is said.

Back