Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I had the impression that VMP was gung ho about the next anthology, but the way it was described in the last Blue Note podcast left me thinking maybe that's not a certainty. Do we think they're continuing it? My last two records are coming on Tuesday, notes on Wednesday. I'm kind of blah about it now and am just waiting for them to drop the ball again. Is the consensus on here that they're going to continue it?

Although VMP has not officially announced July's records, it's looking like Brasil Africa and Willie Bobo's Un Deux Tres. I'm kind of whatever about those. I have the David Byrne Brazil box and that's all I need in that genre at the moment.

I'm feeling very ho hum about VMP at the moment (besides my order of Conchin Moon, I'm stoked for that). I'm much more excited about shipments from Light in the Attic (the reprintings of the Japanese pop that come out next month), PolyVinyl (I got a bunch of neat stuff in the sale yesterday), Numero (Escape from Synth City), and Amazon (Hamiltion) that I'm way way more excited about.

Honestly just keeps getting better... I'm keeping note of these. Thank you... Assuming sending just a jacket doesn't cost me $20 shipping... which it might, I'll have to look into that...

Hey @Mather they didnt just replace my damaged Horace jacket...but sent another record as well.

Still hoping your ghetto VMP Anthology box happens.

So. send me your info and I’ll PIF my copy of Horace with the seam split (record is fine).

Hey @Mather they didnt just replace my damaged Horace jacket...but sent another record as well.

Still hoping your ghetto VMP Anthology box happens.

So. send me your info and I’ll PIF my copy of Horace with the seam split (record is fine).
Hahaha yes! Thank you. That's 3 of the six now. I'm gunna have to get to work on my crayon labeled BoRx. I'll DM you.

Got a package from VMP yesterday and didn't have time to open it. I was pretty sure it was the last two records, but thought it might possibly be just the liner note book. Either way, when I opened it and saw this..

I was pretty confused. My first thought was oh this must be the new Dexter jacket and they sent an extra Horace by accident. Nope! It's just the first two records again for no apparent reason. I have two more packages coming from Denver this week, so who knows what else could happen?

Got a package from VMP yesterday and didn't have time to open it. I was pretty sure it was the last two records, but thought it might possibly be just the liner note book. Either way, when I opened it and saw this..
View attachment 8105

I was pretty confused. My first thought was oh this must be the new Dexter jacket and they sent an extra Horace by accident. Nope! It's just the first two records again for no apparent reason. I have two more packages coming from Denver this week, so who knows what else could happen?
Dibs

View attachment 8105

I know @Mather is trying to collect the releases

View attachment 8105

Just checked to make sure this isn't actually one of the packages they had sent me, but it is completely separate. I have no tracking info or email associated with this package. It's a complete mystery. Has this happened to anyone else?

View attachment 8105

I can haz Dexter? (Is that how this works?)

View attachment 8105

Bizarre. If you or anyone else gets two Bobby Hutchersons, please let me know!

Glad to see people are getting doubles of stuff and I still dont have a shipping notice or informed delivery tracking for my replacement Horace from a month ago.
Im pretty tolerant on all the jacket issues and VMP issues in general, I just want a defective-free record....

Hey, at least you actually received a Horace Silver record to get replaced. I’m still waiting for my Wayne Shorter and Lou Donaldson records. I never received them and tracking never updated beyond “waiting for acceptance.” After almost 4 weeks of waiting, they’ve been reshipped. The Bobby Hutcherson and Ambrose Akinmusure records, along with the separate liner notes will be delivered on Monday, before the Shorter and Donaldson LPs. Hopefully they all arrive in one piece.

Maybe we’ll get the replacement Dexter jackets and Shorter LP by Halloween.

Hey, at least you actually received a Horace Silver record to get replaced. I’m still waiting for my Wayne Shorter and Lou Donaldson records. I never received them and tracking never updated beyond “waiting for acceptance.” After almost 4 weeks of waiting, they’ve been reshipped. The Bobby Hutcherson and Ambrose Akinmusure records, along with the separate liner notes will be delivered on Monday, before the Shorter and Donaldson LPs. Hopefully they all arrive in one piece.

I mean that does suck but my Horace is almost unplayable because of skips and now with these double replacements going out Im getting worried about a “running out of replacements” in typical VMP fashion. Not ok with a premium priced box with a defective record.

View attachment 8105

I'll happily take the extra records! ;) just like @Mather, I'm trying to build my own ghetto boxset

I mean that does suck but my Horace is almost unplayable because of skips and now with these double replacements going out Im getting worried about a “running out of replacements” in typical VMP fashion. Not ok with a premium priced box with a defective record.

That's awful and is definitely mot ok. Hope you get that replacement soon.

Just a thought, wonder if replacements and regular shipments are *gasp* being sent to the wrong places. They are running this out of their office or a space nearby. It has been years since they have done shipping on their own. But really I have no idea what is going on. I think most of us agree this looked great on paper but, as in many things VMP lately, execution has been lacking. I am happy the music sounds great (I had a scratch on Dexter and thankfully got a replacement already that is defect free). The ups and downs of VMP, here is great music we want to sell you but at times we are not sure when or what condition (correctness of product, physical, etc) you will get it in though.

This will be a large portion of what I plan to talk to them about this week. I am still all about their curation (I know others who are no longer VMPers still use their curation) but I am going to tell them they need to slow down, focus on a couple of things (they aren't going to drop two tracks and exclusives, so asking them to focus on one thing won't be taken) get those things working as they should (i.e. no more Nat and Outkast, exclusive delays, etc). Once those are fixed and working smoothly to then think if they should expand beyond that. If they do want to expand then they need to make sure they have the resources to do so, adding more to people's plates usually is not sustainable in the long run so either hire more people or not expand into new projects. In my initial phone call with Matt and Llyod, they seemed to understand overextending is bad and the cause of some of their recent troubles but at the same time mentioned wanting to do more cool stuff. I think they need to learn the word "no" or at the very least "not yet." I am if I ran a music club I would want to do all the things but you can't become the Amazon of music clubs in the space of five years nor do I think they should try to be.

Back