Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Overall a bit disappointing with Anthology. The first two picks were definitely the best, I'm not sure about the others. They're good, but I'm not sure in hindsight I would have spent all that money on those records. Maybe I'm at a point in my journey through Jazz where I don't need VMP recommendation and need to follow my own path. Amazing sounding records tbf, they did a good job on that score.

Overall a bit disappointing with Anthology. The first two picks were definitely the best, I'm not sure about the others. They're good, but I'm not sure in hindsight I would have spent all that money on those records. Maybe I'm at a point in my journey through Jazz where I don't need VMP recommendation and need to follow my own path. Amazing sounding records tbf, they did a good job on that score.
Yes, I agree. As an international (with a crappy exchange rate) it was a big call and I got swept up in the excitement of it all to some extent. I put some faith in the whole "experience" being something pretty cool and in the end it really wasn't. If you don't count the free Shorter record in a Dexter sleeve then the only other potential bonus was the Blue Note Review which would be fantastic but there's three of them to win. Not on Facebook so can't access that side of things but it sounds like a bit of a flop anyway. And there's so many wonderful, quality reissues coming out at the moment that we're spoilt for choice, at a great price. Like you, I'm following my own path in jazz and it's a hell of a good path to be on. No regrets and yep, the records are great.

I’m not an Anthology subscriber for a similar reason you described (plus the price), but the one record that I reeeeeeally want out of it is Bobby Hutcherson - Montara. I hope for everyone’s sake that VMP won’t mess that one up.

<------ Lurks the Jazz thread, it's kind of like an online Jazz 101 class, lol

Is the FB page approaching maximum shittiness? I feel it has slowly become that the complainers about the "complainers" have just become regular complainers now. They always acted like discussing anything that went wrong with the Anthology was ruining the group and distracting, when really it was them coming in to start shit about anyone who said anything critical (and then carrying that into other threads shitting on those people) that were causing the bad vibes and the distraction. Now it seems they've come around to shitting on people for "only posting album covers", which was always obviously an issue. They act as if anything beyond Chris Irwin's contributions have been enlightening. Are some of them really getting a jazz education or learning about new artists there? The guy they are shitting on for posting just covers has probably posted the most diverse range of jazz artists of anyone, beyond a couple of random quality posts over the course of the group. And yeah, I agree that guy does suck anyway cause he never says anything about the albums and honestly I've noticed almost half of them are CDs. I'm far past done with entertaining any of these people seriously and have turned to the only thing that now makes sense: trolling them.

Is the FB page approaching maximum shittiness? I feel it has slowly become that the complainers about the "complainers" have just become regular complainers now. They always acted like discussing anything that went wrong with the Anthology was ruining the group and distracting, when really it was them coming in to start shit about anyone who said anything critical (and then carrying that into other threads shitting on those people) that were causing the bad vibes and the distraction. Now it seems they've come around to shitting on people for "only posting album covers", which was always obviously an issue. They act as if anything beyond Chris Irwin's contributions have been enlightening. Are some of them really getting a jazz education or learning about new artists there? The guy they are shitting on for posting just covers has probably posted the most diverse range of jazz artists of anyone, beyond a couple of random quality posts over the course of the group. And yeah, I agree that guy does suck anyway cause he never says anything about the albums and honestly I've noticed almost half of them are CDs. I'm far past done with entertaining any of these people seriously and have turned to the only thing that now makes sense: trolling them.
I don't get adding to the fire it's just counterproductive at best and mean spirited at worst.

I don't get adding to the fire it's just counterproductive at best and mean spirited at worst.
It doesn't change anything. The place sucks regardless and they lead the charge to make it that way. The fact that someone super-enthusiastically supporting their own positions bothers them so much is hilarious to me.

I'd say the people who were going around insulting and harassing people were mean-spirited at best. To have their own posts exaggerated and regurgitated back to them on one post where they are continuing their trend is not the problem, it's a comment on the problem. Them getting bent out of shape over it is merely a bonus.

And why not add to this: at least one person who was insulting, harassing, and breaking the rules in other ways has been allowed to stay in the group despite definitely breaking the "3 Strike Rule" in the posted rules saying that you're account will be muted. And I have brought this fact to VMPs attention and have been completely ignored.

Last edited:
I received my 3rd installment today, which of course included the final 2 records, but no liner notes booklet. Am I missing something? I was under the impression that there was supposed to be some sort of booklet that would be sent out with the final shipment?? Anybody else get their shipment, and is also missing the booklet?

I contacted VMP about it, so I'll report back with their response.

I received my 3rd installment today, which of course included the final 2 records, but no liner notes booklet. Am I missing something? I was under the impression that there was supposed to be some sort of booklet that would be sent out with the final shipment?? Anybody else get their shipment, and is also missing the booklet?

I’m going to laugh so hard if the liner notes got delayed too. Hopefully they just forgot to pack them and yours is an outlier incident... hope you get them soon!

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL VMP ANTHOLOGY SUBSCRIBERS:

Yo fellow jazzbos peep this, we here at VM to the P love that you're enjoying and getting so much knowledge out of our inaugural Jazz Anthology Boxset. If there's one thing we enjoy more than dropping the ball, it's dropping mad jazz knowledge all up in yo skull! But we gotta say, it looks like it's been about eight weeks since we collected all the monies for this sick anthology and man, that's a supes long tiggidy time yo! We gots ta eat! So after much deliberation we've decided to add some value to this set, totes cool right? So as an added value perk for you our awesome members, we're going to withhold all the liner notes for the Anthology until we collect $75.00 from you. This way you gets your knowledge and we gets our sweet sweet green. It's a win win yo!

Signed:
VMPizzity

Last edited:
Mather for the win! I think you really nailed the VMP Millennial hipster aesthetic with this one. I spit coffee all over my computer screen reading this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL VMP ANTHOLOGY SUBSCRIBERS:

Yo fellow jazzbos peep this, we here at VM to the P love that you're enjoying and getting so much knowledge out of our inaugural Jazz Anthology Boxset. If there's one thing we enjoy more than dropping the ball, it's dropping mad jazz knowledge all up in your skull! But we gotta say that it looks like it's been about eight weeks since we collected all the monies for this sick anthology and man, that's a supes long tiggidy time yo! We gots to eat! So after much deliberation we've decided to add some value to this set, totes cool right? So as an added value perk for you our awesome members, we're going to withhold all the liner notes for the Anthology until we collect $75.00 from you. This way you gets your knowledge and we gets our sweet sweet green. It's a win win yo!

Signed:
VMPizzity

Last edited:
Back