Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I'm actually curious about that...because with the tons of bad press (no pun intended but kinda pun intended) around VMP lately, I wonder if this will all bite them in the ass. VMP can still claim to labels/bands that they sold x amount of copies and sold out, but stuff like the Outkast issue seems to becoming more and more prominent. I'm also pretty shocked to see so many exclusives not sell out. I thought that Comet is Coming would have sold out pretty instantly at only 500 copies but it seems to still be around. Maybe it is because that album is older and most people who wanted a copy have one...but it's still bizarre to me. It would have sold out really quickly with the old forum still around.

Will some other big label want VMP to do a box set further down the line with all these issues with the BN one? Represses, quality control, people complaining, etc. I suppose the complaints aren't super public now since they are on the private FB group only...but still.
I would think a label would do their homework and ask about how the BN went and see numbers, they may even got a sub to see it in person, or I could be too optimistic

I would think a label would do their homework and ask about how the BN went and see numbers, they may even got a sub to see it in person, or I could be too optimistic
If I was a label and got the box set after the fact with everything fixed/updated, I'd be impressed by it. It's not entirely the product that is bad, it's the roll out and mistakes along the way and the lack of the promised "experience". VMP can say here's the box set. The quality is good. We sold it out in 6 hours or whatever at $230/set. We know how to improve it to make more money next time. And with the forum shut down, it might be a bit trickier for labels to find out what happened behind the scenes.

If I was a label and got the box set after the fact with everything fixed/updated, I'd be impressed by it. It's not entirely the product that is bad, it's the roll out and mistakes along the way and the lack of the promised "experience". VMP can say here's the box set. The quality is good. We sold it out in 6 hours or whatever at $230/set. We know how to improve it to make more money next time. And with the forum shut down, it might be a bit trickier for labels to find out what happened behind the scenes.
if they got numbers about returns, reprints, represses, etc though

I agree, and the very format of the anthology was meant to push the idea of an experience. Getting two records at a time forces you to only listen to those two records in a given period. I love that idea, I think they were smart to come up with it.

I just wanted to take a moment and point out that this is not a VMP original idea. They just marketed in a way to make it sound meaningful and unique. I’ve purchased a number of box sets over the years that came in pieces.

Wait - I don't understand this. You are getting liner notes AFTER you get the albums the liner notes are about?

That's strange, right? I'm not the only one that thinks that is strange? Isn't the point of liner notes to listen to the album while you read the notes?
You are not alone. I assume it's six pages of large photos and six pages of notes by failed-to-win-a-Grammy writer Ben Ratliff; I'd have just put an insert in with each album - photo on one side, liner notes on the other.
The Fania release post from Storf made it sound like VMP ROTM for essentials and classics might both be Fania.
If they put out a salsa anthology it damn well better come with chips and guacamole.

My Dexter replacement disc arrived today, it is just the disc no cover/sleeve*, clean it tomorrow and give it a play

*appears to be well wrapped, haven't opened the wrapping yet

Well after being told a replacement box and replacement dexter were on the way, and after seeing your above quote, I got just the box. After following up, I get this response....

"Glad to hear you got the new box and that it's in fine shape! As for 'Dexter Calling', we've chosen to wait on replacements for that title until we've gotten the repress with the corrected jacket. We're hoping to have that in our warehouse within 4-8 weeks, and will ship yours out as soon as we're able!"

um.... ok?

Hearing folks also still waiting on Horace, I think the "repress" part should stand out - they're repressing more than just Shorter. Sounds like we're getting another Dexter as well and not just the sleeve? OR, are they just repressing some b/c they ran out of replacements due to press issues?

Back