Vinyl Me Please Anthology

i'm of the mindset that its cool for people who have missed out on it. i didn't buy it for the exclusivity or resale. i know why people don't ethically like it but at least VMP has gotten better overall about that kind of stuff.

i think everything will eventually be repressed given demand and access to the sources.
Plus it came out in May 2019. 4+ years of exclusivity is plenty in my opinion

Plus it came out in May 2019. 4+ years of exclusivity is plenty in my opinion
i will say, the one that really annoyed me recently was one of the Sufjan Stevens exclusives that Asthmatic Kitty did. They sold something like a very limited 500-1,000 pressing, then immediately said they were repressing it with the same color and an open order since it was popular. thought that was pretty shitty.

Well, generally I'm fine with represses as I want the musicians and artists I love to get PAID. And that's really hard for them these days. But, we're talking Blue Note here, so it's entirely possible none of the musicians see anything from this.

Did anyone here get the "Truth Is Where It's At" Gospel Anthology?

I swapped for it this month on a whim but not entirely sure whats its like. Is it heavily gospel-orientated in terms of sound? Or more funk / soul leaning?

I swapped for it this month on a whim but not entirely sure whats its like. Is it heavily gospel-orientated in terms of sound? Or more funk / soul leaning?
I don't have it, but from my understanding it's about the same as going to church. I could be off but that was my take on it.

Yes. It's very funk/soul leaning besides the Jesus People album which is straight up big gospel choir....and Blue Aquarius which isn't gospel at all — it's more like hippie rock and the spiritual topics are more about Eastern/Maharaji stuff a la George Harrison and not Christian/Gospel.

The Rance Allen Group. Louis McCord, Gospel Artistics, and Clarence Smith albums are fantastic soul albums that happen to be lyrically spiritual/gospel leaning but the music is so good, and the sound quality especially on Rance Allen and Louise McCord and ClarenceSmith are absolutely SLAMMING and ridiculously good recordings. Fresh tapes and truly audiophile mastering, highly highly recommend it even if you aren't into traditional gospel. Those 3 records are worth the price alone.

Yes. It's very funk/soul leaning besides the Jesus People album which is straight up big gospel choir....and Blue Aquarius which isn't gospel at all — it's more like hippie rock and the spiritual topics are more about Eastern/Maharaji stuff a la George Harrison and not Christian/Gospel.

The Rance Allen Group. Louis McCord, Gospel Artistics, and Clarence Smith albums are fantastic soul albums that happen to be lyrically spiritual/gospel leaning but the music is so good, and the sound quality especially on Rance Allen and Louise McCord and ClarenceSmith are absolutely SLAMMING and ridiculously good recordings. Fresh tapes and truly audiophile mastering, highly highly recommend it even if you aren't into traditional gospel. Those 3 records are worth the price alone.
This is also my assessment. When this was first announced, I straight-up NOPE'd because I don't need that much Jesus in my life. And largely I still don't, but the music is so good IDGAF. I picked it up on a sale and for dirt cheap.

All in-stock items, including anthologies, are 33 1/2% off through Friday.

You can get Memphis for $178 and Waylon for $218. Both are listed as "almost gone".
Using all my store credit I could get Waylon for $160 out of pocket. No brainer?

Edit: this assumes it will allow me to use both a code and credit, which was not the case last time I tried

Back