Vinyl Me Please Anthology

He's lying or he's incompetent. I send multiple PIFs to the States regularly and it usually costs me about $23 for 2 to 3 LPs.

Screenshot_20220718-204250_rif is fun.jpg

I assume either he can't find the record (ie lost or sold or in worse condition than expected etc) or there really is some sort of shipping issue. Calling them out on it or insisting would probably go nowhere and i don't even really think there's ill-intent. Reddit seller, so it's a toss up on if there's something he doesn't want to say or doesn't know to do or whatever.

It's one of a handful of Zorn records I would consider 'must have' for my personal collection (dreamers O'o, naked city, big gundown, spillane) so I'm just going to keep looking for it.

they'll really start to bleed international customers if they do. the shipping is a huge draw for non-US customers, why even fucking bother if that's going to spike.

As I’m about to sign back up for a 3 month Classics sub, I reached out and asked if this will also be the case for RotMs. Would 100% be a deal breaker for me. Will report back when I hear from CS.

View attachment 146309

It's one of a handful of Zorn records I would consider 'must have' for my personal collection (dreamers O'o, naked city, big gundown, spillane) so I'm just going to keep looking for it.

Big Gundown is my favourite Zorn album. Although, tbh *whispers* I just enjoy it on CD. *gasp*
Zorn would be a prime candidate for a vinyl box set, although I don’t know how you’d pick which Masada album(s) to include.

Big Gundown is my favourite Zorn album. Although, tbh *whispers* I just enjoy it on CD. *gasp*
Zorn would be a prime candidate for a vinyl box set, although I don’t know how you’d pick which Masada album(s) to include.
oofff JFC yes

I think a naked city or painkiller box set would probably be the way to go, but knowing zorn he'd insist on some art that would kill the whole thing.

Yeah definitely curious.

So I asked:

“Hi! I was about to sign back up for the Dinah>Dizzy>Miles run of Classics, but I read you have changed your international shipping declarations for the VMP Anthology, and people are getting hit with Duty and Customs charges. (And the actual problem...DHL fees). Is that also the case for your standard RotMs?”

And got back:

“Thanks for reaching out!

I recommend checking with the Canadian customs office for the most accurate information, but I believe the recent customs charge changes only apply to EU and UK countries on orders over $150.”

So, they just told me to figure out for myself if I’ll be charged Customs fees? That doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. That Dizzy album is great, but I think I’ll pass on dealing with VMP again.

So I asked:

“Hi! I was about to sign back up for the Dinah>Dizzy>Miles run of Classics, but I read you have changed your international shipping declarations for the VMP Anthology, and people are getting hit with Duty and Customs charges. (And the actual problem...DHL fees). Is that also the case for your standard RotMs?”

And got back:

I recommend checking with the Canadian customs office for the most accurate information, but I believe the recent customs charge changes only apply to EU and UK countries on orders over $150.”

So, they just told me to figure out for myself if I’ll be charged Customs fees? That doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. That Dizzy album is great, but I think I’ll pass on dealing with VMP again.
Woof.
I guess next month is going to be the test, as I have 5, possibly 6 albums on the way. If I get hit with duties then that's it for me.

So I asked:

And got back:

Yeahhhh, that ain't exactly clear. I mean, I don't think I've ever been hit with customs fees on records UNLESS it's courier delivered. But I'm fairly certain that VMP was generally declaring the value of their records as the manufacturing cost, not the retail. I believe that last time I saw a custom form from them the album's were declared as $2.50. Which wouldn't trigger any customs fees through DHL. But if they've finally been forced to actually declare the proper value on things, which lets face it, was inevitable... I would assume that anything more than a single record would get dinged crossing the border to Canada.

but I believe the recent customs charge changes only apply to EU and UK countries on orders over $150
At last for the EU thats bullshit because they changed ( i think that can change from country to country) to 19% import duties sometime last year. There are no new rules in place. For anthology mvps policies of pre-paying customs seemed to have changed

Yeahhhh, that ain't exactly clear. I mean, I don't think I've ever been hit with customs fees on records UNLESS it's courier delivered. But I'm fairly certain that VMP was generally declaring the value of their records as the manufacturing cost, not the retail. I believe that last time I saw a custom form from them the album's were declared as $2.50. Which wouldn't trigger any customs fees through DHL. But if they've finally been forced to actually declare the proper value on things, which lets face it, was inevitable... I would assume that anything more than a single record would get dinged crossing the border to Canada.
Sadly there is a difference in duties and taxes. You can import by mail $150 duty free into Canada, but you still can be hit with collecting GST/HST. This is where the couriers get you. That $33 record may not have any duties on it, but it is still liable for sales tax. Canada Post is not allowed to charge brokerage fees so collecting GST is not worth the effort or cost for them, unless it is COD. But DHL and others can charge a brokerage fee so collecting that $4 in taxes is worth it when they can also charge you $25 brokerage fee (which also gets GST applied to it).

Sadly there is a difference in duties and taxes. You can import by mail $150 duty free into Canada, but you still can be hit with collecting GST/HST. This is where the couriers get you. That $33 record may not have any duties on it, but it is still liable for sales tax. Canada Post is not allowed to charge brokerage fees so collecting GST is not worth the effort or cost for them, unless it is COD. But DHL and others can charge a brokerage fee so collecting that $4 in taxes is worth it when they can also charge you $25 brokerage fee (which also gets GST applied to it).
Oh I know, but that's what I'm saying. Last time I saw a customs form VMP were declaring the value of the records as $2.50 each. Which wouldn't trigger customs through DHL until you hit like $30. It's the same reason my Ella DHL deliveries clear customs. They only value the discs at $10. But if VMP finally has to actually declare the full value then DHL will trigger the brokerage fees and GST because it'll be over the limit. I believe the limit for media is $30ish.

Oh I know, but that's what I'm saying. Last time I saw a customs form VMP were declaring the value of the records as $2.50 each. Which wouldn't trigger customs through DHL until you hit like $30. It's the same reason my Ella DHL deliveries clear customs. They only value the discs at $10. But if VMP finally has to actually declare the full value then DHL will trigger the brokerage fees and GST because it'll be over the limit. I believe the limit for media is $30ish.
Didn't VMP threaten to do that a few years ago when they switch how fulfillment was done. That they had to declare full value because they were going to use DHL for door to door delivery. But then realized it was too expensive at the time.

Didn't VMP threaten to do that a few years ago when they switch how fulfillment was done. That they had to declare full value because they were going to use DHL for door to door delivery. But then realized it was too expensive at the time.
Yeah they absolutely did but then I never saw anything else about it, but I also never saw a customs form after that. So I have no idea what they've been doing. But they're pretty much the only US record retailer that ships courier and doesn't charge duty so I assumed that rather than them paying duty for each of these shipments which I highly doubt they were doing considering we don't even get charged shipping, that instead they were likely fudging the values. If that's finally stopped, I would expect duty this month.

Yeah they absolutely did but then I never saw anything else about it, but I also never saw a customs form after that. So I have no idea what they've been doing. But they're pretty much the only US record retailer that ships courier and doesn't charge duty so I assumed that rather than them paying duty for each of these shipments which I highly doubt they were doing considering we don't even get charged shipping, that instead they were likely fudging the values. If that's finally stopped, I would expect duty this month.
This was one of the reasons I stopped subscribing because I felt that they started put high declared values on the declaration sticker.

Either way, I will not get the Impulse box and probably only just jump back in for Miles in September if it is safe. Mather you are first to test the shark cage made with bamboo.

This was one of the reasons I stopped subscribing because I felt that they started put high declared values on the declaration sticker.

Either way, I will not get the Impulse box and probably only just jump back in for Miles in September if it is safe. Mather you are first to test the shark cage made with bamboo.
I AM TRIBUTE!

So I asked:

And got back:

So the EU rules VAT are now actually from 0 so they’ve got that wrong too. The extra 10% import duty on top of that is over €150. They do now charge VAT at source on all imports into the EU, so every record gets 23% for me in Ireland added in basket. Which in conjunction with dollar parity makes these records very very expensive…

What I will say is that VMP are doing nothing wrong here, in fact they’re doing the right thing from a consumer point of view. I’m getting charged VAT at source and so I’m not liable to courier fees because they aren’t paying anything on my behalf because it’s already paid.

The issue is that off the back of Brexit and Trump the EU has got very aggressive about protecting its markets and has removed the loopholes we all used to love, my anger over this kinda thing is at them.

What I will say is that VMP are doing nothing wrong here, in fact they’re doing the right thing from a consumer point of view. I’m getting charged VAT at source and so I’m not liable to courier fees because they aren’t paying anything on my behalf because it’s already paid.

The issue is that off the back of Brexit and Trump the EU has got very aggressive about protecting its markets and has removed the loopholes we all used to love, my anger over this kinda thing is at them.
Oh I'm in the same boat, I know as internationals we got very lucky that VMP didn't charge shipping for the better part of 4 years and we avoided duty on everything. It was only a matter of time before that would end. It had to. Not mad at VMP in the least, just wish they'd have told International Anthology buyers this was the case BEFORE they started shipping them out.

Back