Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I probably would have gone for the Herbie box if they had swapped out some of the titles with some harder to find ones like Empyrean Isles or some of his other fusion albums. Couldn’t justify buying it since I had the AP head hunters and the BN classics of Takin Off and Maiden Voyage.

Cautiously anxious about the Impulse anthology though…
When the hell is Empyrean Isles getting a proper repress?

I probably would have gone for the Herbie box if they had swapped out some of the titles with some harder to find ones like Empyrean Isles or some of his other fusion albums. Couldn’t justify buying it since I had the AP head hunters and the BN classics of Takin Off and Maiden Voyage.

Cautiously anxious about the Impulse anthology though…
Yeah. I have essentially built my own Herbie box that outdoes the VMP one -- it's bigger and cheaper at least. The udiscover herbie platters were killer during their sales. I couldn't justify buying it just for piano and river.

I recently got a Liberty stereo of Empyrean Isles on a trade plus cash deal. It is in great condition and sounds quite wonderful, but I still want to see it gets a reissue as it is such a wonderful album.
I have this pressing:

But would love to upgrade it at some point!

I would love to have Empyrean Isles on vinyl. I love those early HH albums. Haven't listened to Takin Off, yet but I listened to the recent Maiden Voyage pressing and was very pleased. Sounds great.
Takin Off is awesome and has one of Herbie’s best compositions, Watermelon Man. I have the VMP version and the BN 80 reissue. Both sound fantastic.

Early Herbie is great, if not samesy. If it werent for the different personal, I swear I wouldnt be able to tell these tracks apart.

Yeah, that’s part of the reason I never got around to picking up his second album. But his third album really goes off in a different direction.

Yeah, that’s part of the reason I never got around to picking up his second album. But his third album really goes off in a different direction.
Absolutely. I get distracted with a lot of Piano trio albums but that one remains engaging throughout with it's eccentricities and such. Lots of Caribbean influence.

Welp. GZ going to GZ. Here's the first 3 discs in the box so far. The first one is a minor bowl but still, it doesn't touch the platter at all and you can hear the warp every pass (if I'm being too picky please let me know) Take particular note of the last one.

1) 2022-02-03 17.12.43.mp4

2) 2022-02-03 19.29.06.mp4

3) 2022-02-03 20.25.29.mp4

Last edited:
they hooked me with the Sinatra at the sands repress.

Owning none of them, Sinatra and Miles were the hooks. But I have enjoyed all of them. The Wiz is probably last on my ranking but didn't mind it especially after listening to the podcast and learning about where it is in the story of his career. Writing my email to vmp bow about how every disc in my set is warped to some degree and 11 of the 12 are bad enough for replacement.

Owning none of them, Sinatra and Miles were the hooks. But I have enjoyed all of them. The Wiz is probably last on my ranking but didn't mind it especially after listening to the podcast and learning about where it is in the story of his career. Writing my email to vmp bow about how every disc in my set is warped to some degree and 11 of the 12 are bad enough for replacement.

All 12 wonky discs Quincy Anthology

I don't ever want to be full SHF so if I'm over reacting please let me know

All 12 wonky discs Quincy Anthology

I don't ever want to be full SHF so if I'm over reacting please let me know
As the Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Over Reacting on this forum... I don't think you're over reacting.

However, due to the first part of the previous sentence, I might not be the best authority...

Back