Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I need to check out that podcast. Sounds right up my alley.
I have listened to the first one so far (my aim is to spread them out a bit) and it's a really good introduction. Essentially each interviewee explains how they know Herbie, how he influenced them, etc. I think the next bits will be a deep dive into specific albums, but we shall see.

I have listened to the first one so far (my aim is to spread them out a bit) and it's a really good introduction. Essentially each interviewee explains how they know Herbie, how he influenced them, etc. I think the next bits will be a deep dive into specific albums, but we shall see.
That’s awesome. Herbie may be my favorite jazz artist so that sounds pretty cool.

I’m feeling the temptation again to pick up this set...

Sorry to sidetrack the Herbie talk; enjoy that box, it looks really great (sidenote: it's pretty embarrassing that Herbie is linked in my brain to Chris Farley and Tommy Boy).

Last night I was watching some of the Crowdcasts from the Dead box and noticed Storf was wearing a Metal Blade hat. So, as you delve into Herbie, maybe keep your eye out for other (possible) foreshadowing for future boxes?

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.36.41 PM.png

Sorry to sidetrack the Herbie talk; enjoy that box, it looks really great (sidenote: it's pretty embarrassing that Herbie is linked in my brain to Chris Farley and Tommy Boy).

Last night I was watching some of the Crowdcasts from the Dead box and noticed Storf was wearing a Metal Blade hat. So, as you delve into Herbie, maybe keep your eye out for other (possible) foreshadowing for future boxes?

View attachment 97287
Dude it was already announced a while back...

Reactions: mgp
Dude it was already announced a while back...
Yeah, sorry for my poorly worded post. I think the live Q&A was recorded in MayJuly-ish (it was December, I was way off) so several months before that Metal Blade was announced. I'm wondering what other free merch Storf will be rocking in future recordings!

Anyway, back to Herbie. Enjoy guys.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry for my poorly worded post. I think the live Q&A was recorded in MayJuly-ish so several months before that Metal Blade was announced. I'm wondering what other free merch Storf will be rocking in future recordings!

Anyway, back to Herbie. Enjoy guys.
LOL, I didn’t think ya missed that one but ya never know.

Some other impressions:

The overall packaging is superb. Everything is well put together and while my shipping box had two puncture holes in it (!!!) whatever caused the damage in transit didn't reach down to affect the box itself. Phew.

Both Blue Note albums sound very good. I know they've already had audiophile reissues but I don't own those so I can't compare. Both albums did have a few pops that I'm hoping a good cleaning or two will take care of. Even if not it's probably not bad enough to ask for a replacement.

Head Hunters: As previously noted, it sounds fantastic. This is the only album from the box I already had in my collection, with my other copy being an early 80s reissue. Needless to say it blows that out of the water. The only issue? It's dish warped. A weight helps "flatten" the convex side and stabilizes the concave side, but it's a slight disappointment. I doubt I'll be able to get a replacement for it as playback seems ok and it's not so severe that I can start poking nickels underneath it.

VSOP: Record one is perfect. It's flat, and no surface noise or pops that I noticed. It sounds great overall. Record 2 is dish warped, very similar to Head Hunters. Again the weight comes in handy and the sound is great. The original Japanese liner notes and inserts are a nice touch, even though I can't read any of it. Since it's a replication of the original, it does show the original tracklist. The liner notes booklet that came with the box made no mention to Herbie resequencing the album for this set, so I'm kind of hoping the podcast touches on it a bit (I've only listened to the first episode so far) [Edit: Nope, in fact, barely is even said about the album on the podcast].

And that's where I'm at so far. The warps are just annoying enough to trigger my OCD but fortunately, the playback seems unaffected.

Last edited:
Some other impressions:

The overall packaging is superb. Everything is well put together and while my shipping box had two puncture holes in it (!!!) whatever caused the damage in transit didn't reach down to affect the box itself. Phew.

Both Blue Note albums sound very good. I know they've already had audiophile reissues but I don't own those so I can't compare. Both albums did have a few pops that I'm hoping a good cleaning or two will take care of. Even if not it's probably not bad enough to ask for a replacement.

Head Hunters: As previously noted, it sounds fantastic. This is the only album from the box I already had in my collection, with my other copy being an early 80s reissue. Needless to say it blows that out of the water. The only issue? It's dish warped. A weight helps "flatten" the convex side and stabilizes the concave side, but it's a slight disappointment. I doubt I'll be able to get a replacement for it as playback seems ok and it's not so severe that I can start poking nickels underneath it.

VSOP: Record one is perfect. It's flat, and no surface noise or pops that I noticed. It sounds great overall. Record 2 is dish warped, very similar to Head Hunters. Again the weight comes in handy and the sound is great. The original Japanese liner notes and inserts are a nice touch, even though I can't read any of it. Since it's a replication of the original, it does show the original tracklist. The liner notes booklet that came with the box made no mention to Herbie resequencing the album for this set, so I'm kind of hoping the podcast touches on it a bit (I've only listened to the first episode so far).

And that's where I'm at so far. The warps are just annoying enough to trigger my OCD but fortunately, the playback seems unaffected.
At that price point I'd ask for replacement for the warps

The Piano is immaculate. It really sounds like Herbie is playing for me a solo performance in my room. No pops or warps on this one. This was one of the records that caused the box set delay and whatever it was that needed to be done, they got it done right. Like VSOP it has the original Japanese inserts. I kind of wish it also included a translation because I don't really know anything about the Direct Disk process that was used in recording this album and I'd really like to know more because this album sounds gorgeous.

At that price point I'd ask for replacement for the warps

When I'm done combing over the entire set I might shoot them an email noting it. I've had much worse defects on other albums than this but on the other hand... yeah I did pay a good amount of money for it.

I'm currently at work (from home) so while I can still spin records I now gotta lower the volume a bit so I can still edit videos, answer phones, listen to police scanners and the like, so I'll have to go over these more thoroughly later, maybe this weekend.

Future Shock: First possible major issue as the record skipped several times near the beginning of both Sides A and B. There's a minor edge warp but I'd honestly be surprised if it was enough to have caused these issues. Visible inspection didn't turn up anything obvious either, so I might give it a cleaning and try again. On the music side I confess outside of Rockit I had never listened to Future Shock before. It was better than I expected! Earth Beat was a highlight for me in particular, it definitely feels like something far ahead of its time. Hopefully I can fix the skipping issue but if not, this is the first record that will be on the "definitely needs a replacement" pile.

1+1: Two records, two dish warps! The second record might be the worst warp so far. The music itself is very quiet and since I have the volume turned down a bit I might be missing any audio issues.

The River: I don't know if you've heard this one but... the first record is dish warped. Second one has a VERY slight one compared to all the rest, I probably wouldn't have noticed if not for all the others. From what I could hear, it all sounds decent at least but again, I'll have to listen again later with the volume cranked up.

On the subject of dish warps I've definitely been thinking a lot about this Perry Bible Fellowship comic as I've made my way through this box set:

So are they not doing the "Week 1, Week 2..." thing anymore? Seems like everyone got all the records at once.

I'm just gunna throw this out there... If anyone has skipping issues or warp issues with this set and gets replacements, please lemme know if you want to maybe sell the warped or skipping copy. Particularly Rockit or Maiden Voyage.
Yes, what he said. I'm building my own box, already picked up that first blue note tone poet but I'm on the lookout for the others

I'm currently at work (from home) so while I can still spin records I now gotta lower the volume a bit so I can still edit videos, answer phones, listen to police scanners and the like, so I'll have to go over these more thoroughly later, maybe this weekend.

Future Shock: First possible major issue as the record skipped several times near the beginning of both Sides A and B. There's a minor edge warp but I'd honestly be surprised if it was enough to have caused these issues. Visible inspection didn't turn up anything obvious either, so I might give it a cleaning and try again. On the music side I confess outside of Rockit I had never listened to Future Shock before. It was better than I expected! Earth Beat was a highlight for me in particular, it definitely feels like something far ahead of its time. Hopefully I can fix the skipping issue but if not, this is the first record that will be on the "definitely needs a replacement" pile.

1+1: Two records, two dish warps! The second record might be the worst warp so far. The music itself is very quiet and since I have the volume turned down a bit I might be missing any audio issues.

The River: I don't know if you've heard this one but... the first record is dish warped. Second one has a VERY slight one compared to all the rest, I probably wouldn't have noticed if not for all the others. From what I could hear, it all sounds decent at least but again, I'll have to listen again later with the volume cranked up.

On the subject of dish warps I've definitely been thinking a lot about this Perry Bible Fellowship comic as I've made my way through this box set:

pbe4nLH.jpg

I'm just gunna throw this out there... If anyone has skipping issues or warp issues with this set and gets replacements, please lemme know if you want to maybe sell the warped or skipping copy. Particularly Rockit or Maiden Voyage.
I too would be interested in purchasing any defective copies that get replaced.

Especially The Piano and Future Shock. I have an original Future Shock but it could use an upgrade.

Especially The Piano and Future Shock. I have an original Future Shock but it could use an upgrade.

This blows away the original

So are they not doing the "Week 1, Week 2..." thing anymore? Seems like everyone got all the records at once.

I think they stopped doing that after the second box or so. But yeah, you get the whole thing all at once with Herbie.

Overall I am very happy with the box. Ok so the number of dish warps was near comical and may be what will make me open my wallet and invest in a vinyl flat but fortunately, playback seems mostly unaffected. I'll do some cleaning and give everything a closer look over the next few days but right now the only one I'm worried about is Future Shock.

The music itself is great from start to finish, across all different sorts of genres. I think The Piano was the biggest surprise for me, just at how well it was done and how clear it sounded. That's one to dim the lights and sit back in the recliner for.

I think they stopped doing that after the second box or so. But yeah, you get the whole thing all at once with Herbie.
Dang, I signed up for the Metal Blade anthology (my first), and they definitely still advertise the "weeks" all up and down the Anthology page. That's definitely misleading.

Back