Vinyl Me Please Anthology

First impressions in

well packed, sounds amazing, Gz at it again (discogs says theres some distortion)

now im scared for the metal blade set since thats also all digitally (though from the same as the kid cudi pressing and i'll see how that is) and Gz

Last edited:
I'm 3 out of 4 episodes done with the tribe podcast and it's very meh compared to previous anthologies. 2 albums spun so far and those have been good
Yeah, I was thinking that these aren’t all that great. This is my first Anthology, so I wasn’t sure if they were all at this level, but I’m not too impressed. Loving the music though.

Yeah, I was thinking that these aren’t all that great. This is my first Anthology, so I wasn’t sure if they were all at this level, but I’m not too impressed. Loving the music though.

The others have been better. The 4th episode was better as well. I have a feeling the two founders of the label being as old as they are played a part in how this came out too

I listened to the Blue Note Anthology podcasts on spotify and enjoyed the first episode but then the other 3 episodes were pretty sloppy and it sounded like they were all recorded based on one conversation and then chopped up later into separate episodes to try to match up with the 3 episodes/shipments of the box set (2 records each). It felt like VMP approached Don Was and asked him to do an interview and didn't really mention that they were doing a podcast and he had a lot of great stories to tell (which was the first episode) and then VMP tried to steer the conversation towards the albums selected for the anthology to see what Don would say about them but there wasn't really anything prepared and there wasn't any super interesting story to tell about why those particular records were chosen for the set. It would have been totally fine if they hadn't hyped the anthology podcast up as like an in-depth educational experience to learn the history of Blue Note Records. You can listen to all four episodes in about 90 minutes total, so it seemed pretty surface-level. At several points it felt like Don Was wanted to launch into a really interesting story, but Storf would kind of redirect the conversation back to the records in the box set and the questions he'd written up beforehand, and you could almost hear Don Was just being so patient and gracious with his answers.

First impressions in

well packed, sounds amazing, Gz at it again (discogs says theres some distortion)

now im scared for the metal blade set since thats also all digitally (though from the same as the kid cudi pressing and i'll see how that is) and Gz

The distortion seems to be in the recordings. It’s pretty minimal. The bigger issue was two of my records arriving with scratches on them but they learned to do replacement albums this time so they put an order in for them for me for replacements.

Id never buy an anthology to flip it nor would I buy a sealed one with the recurring issues they have but they are still nicely put together. The records sound great on the three anthologies I have and I don’t regret buying any of them.

Nice, thanks. I've been curious to listen to the Grateful Dead ones. Now I can!

I didn't get the box since I have 6 of the 8 albums already, so I was happy when they popped up in my Podcast stream. I really enjoyed the 4 episodes about the actual albums w/ David Lemieux. I don't know I learned anything super profound, but I thought they provided good insight into the albums. I appreciated that Storf has learned to get out of the way in the interviews and Amelia's were fine, if basic. And I stopped the Amelia & Storf only ones 5 min into each. Still want to listen to the Nugs.net one and I have no interest in Storf's tie-dyeing.

I'm a little late to this party but...

wL4eWVz.jpg

Thanks to @Doctor_of_Jazz for the hookup and also special thanks to the Biden Bux for making it all possible.

Just a heads up the black paint on the box does come off easily
Haven't had an issue with that, but man is everything snug in there, especially if you have the booklet in the box. Hoping it's not too tight.

My set is "complete" with the wrong Dexter Calling cover and mislabeled Schizophrenia record along with their replacements.

Back