Vinyl Me, D - A Free Record Club

Honestly you nailed it. I was thinking Songs For The Deaf meets The Wall when I first heard it. The narriation absolutely makes this a must own album.

Pretty sure @Yer Ol' Uncle D blew his load early on this one because I'd bet the bank that no other album he picks is gonna be this good.
Fire up the grill because I suspect you’ll have to eat those words before long. ;) 🍻

Honestly you nailed it. I was thinking Songs For The Deaf meets The Wall when I first heard it. The narriation absolutely makes this a must own album.

Pretty sure @Yer Ol' Uncle D blew his load early on this one because I'd bet the bank that no other album he picks is gonna be this good.

I promise every album will be good. How you connect with them is in the ear of the beholder...

Last edited:
....aaaand Popmarket canclled/refunded my order. 🤬

Next cheapest Discogs listings are twice the price.

Totally forgot to ask - who figured out the Leon Russell connection?

What - no guesses?

Let's have some fun and open this up to everyone who's not a VMD subscriber - the first 3 folks to correctly identify the Leon Russell connection to this specific record - the one I'm thinking of because there's 7 degrees of everybody - will go into a hat and I'll send the winner a free record of some sorts.

Fire away.

Last edited:
What - no guesses?

Let's have some fun and open this up to everyone who's not a VMD subscriber - the first 3 folks to correctly identify the Leon Russell connection to this specific record - the one I'm thinking of because there's 7 degrees of everybody - will go into a hat and I'll send the winner a free record of some sorts.

Fire away.

Hellbound Glory?

dystopian stoner country rock
Oh yes, this☝🏼
Tina'd, thanks!

Holy CRAP.

I dug Shooter before, but I can't believe how damn good this album is. It literally has everything that a record this ambitious should without feeling bloated: the constant shifts in style, feel, genre, dynamics... It does everything to keep me listening!

And can I mention that it sounds MASSIVE? I got a new speaker setup a few weeks ago (will post pics) and I feel like I am really getting the mileage out of the various crossovers.

If this is month one, I don't even know what to anticipate next. Thank you, @Yer Ol' Uncle D!!!

Something I have discovered recently - I am not great at writing reviews. I have a Music Degree and have analyzed measure by measure of Beethoven's scores - and can explain these at detail - and yet, it is hard for me to put into words exactly what I think and feel when I listen to modern music. So, in leiu of a long review that I will struggle through, I went through about 20 reviews of this album and picked out parts I liked.

Overall, this album is legitimately one that will get many spins from me. I digest music quickly, and throw most of it away - saving only the best for the limited amount of time I have in the day for a seconds and thirds. I'm also a SUCKER for concept albums and DSOTM is my all-time favorite album. Hence, I've taken a strong liking to this one.

Very, very excited to see which albums are next! I'll always be honest in my thoughts about music - no sugarcoating - and if I don't like it, I will make it known. Similarly, I always feel that there are positives to find in music even when I am not aurally stimulated. ;)

So, with that being said...

Black Ribbons is the fourth studio album by American musician Shooter Jennings. Released on March 2, 2010, the album marked a departure from Jennings's established Southern rock sound. It is a dystopian concept album and rock opera presented as the final free radio broadcast of a fictional disc jockey named Will 'o the Wisp (voiced by writer Stephen King), who, in defiance, plays the music of the fictional hard rock band Hierophant, whose music has been banned from airplay, on the evening before his radio station is to be taken over by the government to be used to air propaganda.

Ultimately Black Ribbon is an album that has to be listened to, I mean really listened to. Not just thrown in your car’s CD player on the way to the store, but given the time and attention it deserves. It harkens back to albums like “Dark Side of the Moon” where you would take out your “good” headphones, lie down, close your eyes and listen to the album from start to finish taking in all of the different elements. It has some rough edges here and there but if this selection from Shooter Jennings and Hierophant is any indication of what is to come, Broken Ribbon will be a landmark album for them.

On Black Ribbons, Jennings illustrates the despair that seems to be the zeitgeist now with dark, densely textured songs. He borrows heavily from Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers and The Beatles circa Abbey Road.

Fans of Pink Floyd’s “The Wall,” Roger Waters’ “Radio KAOS” and Nine Inch Nails’ “The Downward Spiral” will likely be empathetic to Jennings’ album, with its searing extended guitar solos, spacey synthesizer textures and frequent bone-rattling hard-rock rhythms.

Ah yes, the story. Narrated by Stephen King who portrays the DJ, Will o the Wisp, his soothing yet tense voice guides us through the last hour of free speech in America while playing the music of the outlawed band Hierophant. Eminently believable, King may convince a few people to search out the Hierophant albums he mentions which are of course part of the greater tale of repression unfolding over the seventy minute tale.

In retaliation, Will speaks his mind full throttle, punctuating his rants with selections from the discography of Hierophant. The word hierophant means a person who confidently explains or expounds something mysterious or obscure as though appointed to do so. That describes Will and the music of the rebellious band's music he plays.

A mixture of genres, yes, and in the wrong hands it could have been a disaster. Shooter makes it work and after several listens now I am convinced this is going to be one of the best album releases of 2010. Don’t give up after only one listen if you find yourself becoming distracted or confused. In this world of instant downloads and instant gratification, where people get lost and confused if they have to pay attention longer than 3 minutes, this album will take some time. Just remember back to the time when you discovered ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ there is no way you could walk away from that after only 3 minutes and neither should you with ‘Black Ribbons’.

Last edited:
Now to a personal story about Black Ribbons...

I saw a killer triple bill of Shooter Jennings / JJ Grey & Mofro / Earl Greyhound in a 1K capacity club in the fall of 2009. This was close to a year before Black Ribbons would be released, but Shooter being Shooter - no fear, grande cajones, etc... - he played many songs that would end up on that record to a crowd who had never heard them before and came expecting all the usual outlaw country. My God, what a beautiful spectacle it was to witness. The usuals couldn't decide if they should scrape the cow shit off their boots and throw it or smoke it. Some of the most fun I've ever had watching crowd reaction. And musically the show was outstanding.

I taped that show. Will try and dig it up and post a couple songs so you can hear primitive Black Ribbons.

Last edited:
Now to a personal story about Black Ribbons...

I saw a killer triple bill of Shooter Jennings / JJ Grey & Mofro / Earl Greyhound in a 1K capacity club in the fall of 2009. This was close to a year before Black Ribbons would be released, but Shooter being Shooter - no fear, grande cajones, etc... - he played many songs that would end up on that record to a crowd who had never heard them before and came expecting all the usual outlaw country. My God, what a beautiful spectacle it was to witness. The usuals couldn't decide if they should scrape the cow shit off their boots and throw it or smoke it. Some of the most fun I've ever had watching crowd reaction. And musically the show was outstanding.

I taped that show. Will try and dig it up and post a couple songs so you can hear primitive Black Ribbons.
Can’t wait! Gonna listen again on the airplane tomorrow.

After a few more spins what's struck me the most is just how timely this record is, maybe even more so than when it was first released. That said, my listening experiences have ended each time with a certain uneasiness that I've been trying to process. I'm not sure if it's dread, anxiety, or a combination of the two, but I think these feelings are a testament for how successful Jennings is at conveying the themes and motifs throughout the album. That said, I think I need to clear my head of it for a bit because I am picking up something new with each listen and it's becoming a bit overwhelming at times. Definitely a great first installment, but I think this one will eventually be filed in the group of records that need a particular head space for extended listens. I am very glad to have been introduced, and I'm still planning on diving headfirst into his back catalog, because thematic reservations aside, this was a bullseye.

After a few more spins what's struck me the most is just how timely this record is, maybe even more so than when it was first released. That said, my listening experiences have ended each time with a certain uneasiness that I've been trying to process. I'm not sure if it's dread, anxiety, or a combination of the two, but I think these feelings are a testament for how successful Jennings is at conveying the themes and motifs throughout the album.

A bullseye summation of not only why I chose this record, but why I chose it now. We need everyone sharp, focused and engaged.

Will O' The Wisp said it perfectly in his first monologue...

After a few more spins what's struck me the most is just how timely this record is, maybe even more so than when it was first released. That said, my listening experiences have ended each time with a certain uneasiness that I've been trying to process. I'm not sure if it's dread, anxiety, or a combination of the two, but I think these feelings are a testament for how successful Jennings is at conveying the themes and motifs throughout the album. That said, I think I need to clear my head of it for a bit because I am picking up something new with each listen and it's becoming a bit overwhelming at times. Definitely a great first installment, but I think this one will eventually be filed in the group of records that need a particular head space for extended listens. I am very glad to have been introduced, and I'm still planning on diving headfirst into his back catalog, because thematic reservations aside, this was a bullseye.
Perfect write up!

Back