Vinyl Me, D - A Free Record Club

Duh. Totally missed that. Thought you were asking about year 2.

If you liked V2 you'll like V1. I just chose V2 because I personally like the track selection a little better.
For what it's worth I also like volume 2 more, but yes volume 1 is more of... Well not the same, but similar! @scotthilk

Off topic, but also on topic. I'm sitting here watching Willie Nelson's youngest, aka Particle Kid, and he sounds like a mix of Neil Young circa our record here and Thom Yorke. Probably a more dynamic guitar player than Neil.

I'm also a little afternoon tipsy so Happy Friday to all!

For what it's worth I also like volume 2 more, but yes volume 1 is more of... Well not the same, but similar! @scotthilk

Off topic, but also on topic. I'm sitting here watching Willie Nelson's youngest, aka Particle Kid, and he sounds like a mix of Neil Young circa our record here and Thom Yorke. Probably a more dynamic guitar player than Neil.

I'm also a little afternoon tipsy so Happy Friday to all!
I saw him open for Les Claypool! He’s pretty good

Looks like @scotthilk is out on the road taking what they're giving 'cause he's workin' for a livin' and the other two packages have been delivered so here's VMD Vol. 11...

That leaves one more month left in VMD Mach 1. Winners - I hope y'all enjoyed it. Here's the clue for the last installment...

MOE.jpg

I'm gonna run this thing back but in a different format where there will be 3 new winners every month for the next year.

Official VMD Mach II thread coming 9-1-23.

I went into Roxy Music blind.
I have listened to this album several times this week, and I have done a deep dive now into more of their discography.

I have absolutely no idea why I let this band be a part of my consciousness for so long without ever actually listening to them. Loving Bowie, Talking Heads, NY Dolls, Sparks... This is exactly in my wheelhouse.

And, from my research, from seeing how all over the place he is stylistically, I am pretty sure that Bryan Ferry is my spirit animal.

I am very grateful for being a part of this, and for this pick!

I went into Roxy Music blind.
I have listened to this album several times this week, and I have done a deep dive now into more of their discography.

I have absolutely no idea why I let this band be a part of my consciousness for so long without ever actually listening to them. Loving Bowie, Talking Heads, NY Dolls, Sparks... This is exactly in my wheelhouse.

And, from my research, from seeing how all over the place he is stylistically, I am pretty sure that Bryan Ferry is my spirit animal.

I am very grateful for being a part of this, and for this pick!

Just in case you missed this Bryan Ferry side door...

Why did I think Roxy Music was filled with cheesy synths that haven't aged well? Maybe the album covers? Maybe because I knew Brian Eno was involved? Not sure exactly, but I know that I've known about Roxy Music but I've never listened to them intentionally.

But holy shit, this record is great. I LOVE Bryan's vocal style. I can hear a little Bowie, a little Lou, a little David Byrne, and all of it makes me want to groove.

Mackay's sax was an immediate focal point for me, having been immersing myself in the "Akron sound" of bands like Tin Huey, The Numbers Band, etc. since I moved to the area.

I'm in the process of going through a coworker's collection, but I think I'll be coming back to this one in between cleanings and test listens.

PXL_20230822_003323749.jpg

Why did I think Roxy Music was filled with cheesy synths that haven't aged well? Maybe the album covers? Maybe because I knew Brian Eno was involved? Not sure exactly, but I know that I've known about Roxy Music but I've never listened to them intentionally.

But holy shit, this record is great. I LOVE Bryan's vocal style. I can hear a little Bowie, a little Lou, a little David Byrne, and all of it makes me want to groove.

Mackay's sax was an immediate focal point for me, having been immersing myself in the "Akron sound" of bands like Tin Huey, The Numbers Band, etc. since I moved to the area.

I'm in the process of going through a coworker's collection, but I think I'll be coming back to this one in between cleanings and test listens.

View attachment 180527
I have always assumed the same things…guess I better give this album a go. @Yer Ol' Uncle D is the hero we need.

Updated ranking going into the final month!

Fun to slot these out and them compare with what my first rankings were like.

1) The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - East-West
2) Reuben Wilson - Love Bug
3) Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' In The Moonlight
4) Lilly Hiatt - Trinity Lane
5) Neil Young - Tonight's The Night
6) Roxy Music - Roxy Music
7) Lou Reed - Live In Italy
8) Swamp Dogg - I Need A Job...So I Can Buy More Auto-Tune
9) The Cult - Love
10) Bette Smith - Jetlagger
11) Shooter Jennings & Hierophant - Black Ribbons
12) Various Artists - Psych-Out Christmas
13) Cowboy Junkies - Songs Of the Recollection
14) The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Updated ranking going into the final month!

Fun to slot these out and them compare with what my first rankings were like.

1) The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - East-West
2) Reuben Wilson - Love Bug
3) Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' In The Moonlight
4) Lilly Hiatt - Trinity Lane
5) Neil Young - Tonight's The Night
6) Roxy Music - Roxy Music
7) Lou Reed - Live In Italy
8) Swamp Dogg - I Need A Job...So I Can Buy More Auto-Tune
9) The Cult - Love
10) Bette Smith - Jetlagger
11) Shooter Jennings & Hierophant - Black Ribbons
12) Various Artists - Psych-Out Christmas
13) Cowboy Junkies - Songs Of the Recollection
14) The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Oooh nice I need to revisit my rankings list for sure. All I know is that Shooter is still #1.

Back