Vintage Equipment

Reactions: OMC
Had a pair of Large Advents powered by a Pioneer SX 1980 back when the 1980 first came out. The Advents stood up to the 270wpc beast and sounded pretty decent all the while. Had an M&K subwoofer in the mix, as well. I played things loudly back then. Still do.

Got a bit tired of burned out bulbs on my Kenwood. Found some replacements and a helpful YouTube video on how to get at them. I'm really happy with the results!

image.jpg

There is one bulb that wasn't a fuse style on the right by the tuner knob. It was soldered on from what I could tell. It lights up "Stereo" when the receiver is on. Really wish I could get that one fixed too but maybe a project for another day.

Been a while since I updated my tube project. It’s still not quite dialed in, but it has a new home and some dancing partners. I just posted in the storage thread about how much I sticky pudding love estate sales. 1. Built this AV stand with a buddy. I wanted an AV stand that could fit a center channel inside (that’s a tough request if you don’t know- try finding one!). This thing Is bad ass and was so much fun to built off an ETSY store picture. It was $500 all in. 2. Found some cool Allison Speakers at an estate sale. This dude started Acoustic Research. They are designed to go against a wall and near a corner. 3. Also found a cool mid-mod album stand. Got a killer deal ($35) and wife painted British racing green. 4. At a different estate sale, found this set up with a vintage Sony amp, TT, and some University brand speakers ($200 all in, that includes about 200 classical music albums, and manuals). This is a gift to my god son, who went off to college this year. I am going to set it up in his bedroom when he comes home at thanksgiving! Guess I have been busy!DC4323F0-8BBB-48F0-80F1-7B329942C158.jpeg299C3477-FCD4-4A0C-BD2E-54AD95F19E09.jpeg10A80125-3D17-4B82-8B19-546F2671090A.jpegF955AE1D-B524-4E5D-BBA7-7B1FECB54900.jpegF1609880-E710-4956-BCBC-C7FA8AD4AB3A.jpegDF63AC2F-B212-48FE-96C7-3824CB83F489.jpeg92FCB17E-5212-4902-8990-9DA35722EA64.jpeg04FF1140-EBC8-4F65-84BA-183FAC25A3FB.jpeg

Some things I have learned on the way: estate sales are your friend. Take the wife - win/win. I have done so-so on the online bidding ones, but much better scores at the in person ones - get your ass up and go early! ** There are old people who won’t let go of good equipment and their kids won’t lug it away. The more obscure the piece the better. Shit like McIntosh and klipsch bring high dollar- don’t waste your time. Go back to estate sales before close on first day if you see something you want. I got that record stand for $35 bucks and I told the guy 5 minutes before closing…ain’t no one coming back for that mid mod piece, it’s ugly, heavy, and big. **here’s an odd story…went to one in person one, some technics turn table that was priced at $250. Reindeer games I said! It was not that white whale model. Turned around and there was a mutha sticky pudding bad ass Panasonic plasma display that was WAY underpriced at $250. If you know plasmas - it was the last year panny made them - z series. Went back before close and got it for half price! Point being…estate sales beat bookface market place and CL all day and twice on Sunday for vintage gems.

Been a while since I updated my tube project. It’s still not quite dialed in, but it has a new home and some dancing partners. I just posted in the storage thread about how much I sticky pudding love estate sales. 1. Built this AV stand with a buddy. I wanted an AV stand that could fit a center channel inside (that’s a tough request if you don’t know- try finding one!). This thing Is bad ass and was so much fun to built off an ETSY store picture. It was $500 all in. 2. Found some cool Allison Speakers at an estate sale. This dude started Acoustic Research. They are designed to go against a wall and near a corner. 3. Also found a cool mid-mod album stand. Got a killer deal ($35) and wife painted British racing green. 4. At a different estate sale, found this set up with a vintage Sony amp, TT, and some University brand speakers ($200 all in, that includes about 200 classical music albums, and manuals). This is a gift to my god son, who went off to college this year. I am going to set it up in his bedroom when he comes home at thanksgiving! Guess I have been busy!
That AV stand is really cool. How'd you DIY the metal cage and frame parts? I'm so not handy in that way, so I'm fascinated when people build their own furniture. etc.

Reminds me of the "bar shelf" that we got from Cost Plus World Market ... It just barely holds the Infinity center channel speaker.

Sorry for the feet in the photo. This was the first one I found in my gallery to show my cabinet in comparison to the one you built.

Drawers for holding LPs is also awesome to see. $35?? So nice.

Attachments

• home theater stereo system.jpg
    home theater stereo system.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 6
Some things I have learned on the way: estate sales are your friend. Take the wife - win/win. I have done so-so on the online bidding ones, but much better scores at the in person ones - get your ass up and go early! ** There are old people who won’t let go of good equipment and their kids won’t lug it away. The more obscure the piece the better. Shit like McIntosh and klipsch bring high dollar- don’t waste your time. Go back to estate sales before close on first day if you see something you want. I got that record stand for $35 bucks and I told the guy 5 minutes before closing…ain’t no one coming back for that mid mod piece, it’s ugly, heavy, and big. **here’s an odd story…went to one in person one, some technics turn table that was priced at $250. Reindeer games I said! It was not that white whale model. Turned around and there was a mutha sticky pudding bad ass Panasonic plasma display that was WAY underpriced at $250. If you know plasmas - it was the last year panny made them - z series. Went back before close and got it for half price! Point being…estate sales beat bookface market place and CL all day and twice on Sunday for vintage gems.
That Sony receiver and the Allisons are way cool!

@CraigVC - my friend builds his own furniture. He’s a mid mod kind of guy and if he sees something he wants on crate and barrel etc he’ll just weld it. He offered to make me a wedding gift and 3 years after he said let’s do it. I went on ETSY , found what I want, wife is a genius so she sketched it and made measurements. I knew EXACTLY what I wanted!!! My center channel is big and bulky. We made the frame out of 2” square tubing; doors out of 1” square tubing; the top is a giant butcher block counter top. I told my buddy, this thing needs to be able to hold 300# - I have lots and gear! It took about 20 hours Over the course of one weekend. Fabricated at a local co-op. Thanks for asking!

@HiFi Guy - the Sony set up was just a fluke. I really did not want to build up a system for my god son. Needless to say he’s getting it 6 months after graduation. When I saw the estate sale and saw the whole kit together, I knew it was on! The Allison’s were another odd ball. That estate sale had some bad ass Altec Lansings (drool) and some klipsch horn loaded big boys. So no one was paying attention to the Allison’s. I did my homework and oddly enough they fit my application better in my bonus room! Except the plastic grill cover on one, they were 8/10 condition. Have I said how much I love estate sales?!

Been spending a ridiculous amount of time perusing eBay recently looking at vintage speakers. Thinking about setting up a second system with a refurbished 70’s era receiver (Pioneer, Marantz, etc) connected to some refurbished era correct speakers.

No idea where this may go, but would like peoples opinions on the Pioneer CS99a’s or similar offerings from Sansui, etc. How about Large Advents? Or AR4x’s? Am I better off with Klipsch Heresy’s, which I have owned before (Heresy III’s) and loved, though really only with tubes and Class A?

Also honestly want to try some Bose 901’s or 301’s. Yes, I know how ridiculous this sounds. Sorry, I just want to hear them. Lol. Has anyone tried hooking them up to decent 70’s amplification?

Thanks in advance for any information/opinions.

Last edited:
Been spending a ridiculous amount of time perusing eBay recently looking at vintage speakers. Thinking about setting up a second system with a refurbished 70’s era receiver (Pioneer, Marantz, etc) connected to some refurbished era correct speakers.

No idea where this may go, but would like peoples opinions on the Pioneer CS99a’s or similar offerings from Sansui, etc. How about Large Advents? Or AR4x’s? Am I better off with Klipsch Heresy’s, which I have owned before (Heresy III’s) and loved, though really only with tubes and Class A?

Also honestly want to try some Bose 901’s or 301’s. Yes, I know how ridiculous this sounds. Sorry, I just want to hear them. Lol. Has anyone tried hooking them up to decent 70’s amplification?

Thanks in advance for any information/opinions.
Large Advents are the only speakers I’ve regretted selling.

Back