Upcoming/Recent Shows

Managed to catch Courtney Barnett's intimate tour where she plays music from her new ambient album as well as a solo set of her "regular" songs:

54e1wah.jpg

xAOMZRE.jpg

Also saw the Beaches the other night. Super fun band to catch live.

wZ49B79.png

I’m 52, and don’t think I’ve ever had, or ever will have, as epic of a show run over a 10 day period.

…now to sleep and stop acting 30.

Foo Fighters ACL show taping.
IMG_2436.jpeg

The Killers “secret” show at Emo’s (1700 capacity).
IMG_2547.jpeg

Chris Stapleton at Moody Center
IMG_2620.jpeg

U2 at Sphere (same show as @Sonicpharmacist who is somewhere on the floor in these photos).
IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2680.jpeg

IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2710.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 4
I’m 52, and don’t think I’ve ever had, or ever will have, as epic of a show run over a 10 day period.

View attachment 185490

View attachment 185491

View attachment 185492

U2 at Sphere (same show as @Sonicpharmacist who is somewhere on the floor in these photos).
View attachment 185493

View attachment 185495

View attachment 185496

View attachment 185497
What an incredible show that was! The sound was unlike any venue I’ve ever attended….so clear, and no residual ear ringing (well no more than usual). Here are some pics I took…
IMG_6230.jpegIMG_6231.jpegIMG_6232.jpegIMG_6234.jpegIMG_6237.jpeg

View attachment 185490

View attachment 185491

View attachment 185492

View attachment 185493

View attachment 185495

View attachment 185496

View attachment 185497

In 2013 I had a run of 6 shows in 9 nights due to Coachella spill over. We saw;

New Order w/Johnny Marr
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Beach House
Of Monsters and Men w/Local Natives
The Postal Service
Band Of Horses

The bookers were really working hard that year.

View attachment 185490

View attachment 185491

View attachment 185492

View attachment 185493

View attachment 185495

View attachment 185496

View attachment 185497
In 2013 I had a run of 6 shows in 9 nights due to Coachella spill over. We saw;

New Order w/Johnny Marr
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Beach House
Of Monsters and Men w/Local Natives
The Postal Service
Band Of Horses

The bookers were really working hard that year.
This has got me thinking back to see if I had an insane run of shows as well. Back in 2010 I attempted this ridiculous run. 6 shows in 9 days. 4 different cities. I was 18 at the time. It would be one thing if they were all in the same city, but I was traveling around for each of these. I didn't stay overnight either, I was driving back home to Connecticut where I lived at the time for each show. Insanity. I would never, ever do something like this again.

1698255670190.png

Went to see RAYE last night in Portland. What a blast! Got my money and time's worth, for certain.

Absolutely

She only performed for 25min, but she was very shy and wasn't really one to talk extensively about the songs themselves. She is actually RAYE's younger sister! Unfortunately, she did not have much stage presence and just moved a few steps side to side during each song, where each song sounded the same as the one before.

20231101_202320.jpg

RAYE

She went for 1hr 50min, a very healthy set length for the ticket price paid (~$40 w/fees). Yes, a sizable amount of that was her giving a confessional + extensive chit chat in between songs, but her genuine interactions with the entirety of the crowd as well as with a few specific audience members more than warranted the set time distribution.

She played almost all of her excellent 2023 AotY candidate My 21st Century Blues outside of "Environmental Anxiety," along with a few songs from her previous EPs/singles. Roughly midway through the set, RAYE's band members left the stage where she took requests to perform a few stripped down versions of some old tracks. I didn't recognize any of them, being a new fan. She overdoes it a little with the scatting, but I can't deny that she's a talented vocalist.

During the lead up to the excellent but trigger warning-laden "Ice Cream Man," RAYE spoke for what must have been a three full minutes chronicling the song having been made years ago. She described her several encounters with sexual assault and exploitation from even before she was a teen. Emotions got the best of her just before she even got to singing but with the crowd providing encouragement and strength, she was able to persevere on....until she welled up again before the final line in the song, needing a moment again. Probably the most memorable part of an already great and enjoyable set.

Apparently there was a seven year-old fan at the front of the stage that went with his parents and RAYE greeted him after "Hard Out Here" I think...he handed her a drawing of RAYE that he brought to the show, which caused the singer to well up a bit and elicit fawning from the crowd. She also individually thanked a few "day 1" fans that requested songs during the solo set. We even had some crowd interaction during "Buss it Down" as a call and response during the choir orchestra section in the chorus...which in reality is just RAYE recording overdubbings on the track to make it have the sound of a choir.

She closed off the set with a fake encore, where she hinted in advance that there would be an encore to us lol. Kind of strange, considering that the other artists (particularly from the UK) that I have seen do not really use encores in their live performances. As expected, she returned to the stage to an extended intro of certified banger "Escapism" with the crowd going bananas. Volume level must have doubled alone here; excellent experience. To top it all off, the closing intercom song after the pseudo-encore was Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer." I just spun my US OG copy I found at MP earlier in the day!

Goddamn. I had a fabulous time, but maybe tried to take too many photos amidst it all. Plentiful variety of genres too! Ranged from vocal jazz ("Oscar Winning Tears" and "The Thrill is Gone") contemporary R&B ("Worth It" and "Mary Jane"), dance-pop/house ("You Don't Know Me" and "Black Mascara"), alt-pop ("Body Dysmorphia" and "Flip a Switch"), and UK hip-hop ("Hard Out Here" and "Escapism"). Always something new to keep the audience engaged!

I looked at the merch table before leaving, but wasn't too interested in the $40 tees. Also $30 LPs. $60 if you wanted signed copies. Guess that makes me feel justified in dropping $50 on Aethiopes last month 🤣

That was likely a top10 show this year.

20231101_222909.jpg20231101_222741.jpg
20231101_221717.jpg20231101_225150.jpg

Extended video of slow burner "Mary Jane," complete with some soloing/scatting! Yes, I know the angle isn't great; I'm behind a tall dude. I also really dislike the Crystal Ballroom. She rambles for a spell here:

Holy shit what a show. I had no idea that Hiss Golden Messenger would dive into long jams and bring such energy. A lot different than the recorded material...in a good way.

HGM.JPG

The opener was an act called Sylvie out of LA. They had beautiful harmonies and were engaging onstage. I chatted with them outside in the smoking yard after their set...very nice folks. Apparently they are a seven piece band but have a hard time touring with (paying) that many folks.
Sylvie.jpg

I caught No-No Boy last night (sorry, I always forget to take photos at shows). He put on a great show: part history lesson, part multimedia/visual experience, and incredible music.

If any of you are into him, I'd suggest trying to catch him soon. He made a comment about how emotionally draining the project is for him, and said he's going to retire it this spring.

This has got me thinking back to see if I had an insane run of shows as well. Back in 2010 I attempted this ridiculous run. 6 shows in 9 days. 4 different cities. I was 18 at the time. It would be one thing if they were all in the same city, but I was traveling around for each of these. I didn't stay overnight either, I was driving back home to Connecticut where I lived at the time for each show. Insanity. I would never, ever do something like this again.

View attachment 185544

My craziest run of shows in 10 days in "fairly" recent years was this in 2017:

We flew to Atlanta for Midnight Oil's US tour kickoff (first show in 14 years in the states, so we had to be there) - May 6
Then off to Vancouver, BC for U2's tour kick off of Joshua Tree 30 - May 12
Drove to Seattle and saw Mike McCready's Flight to Mars at the Showbox - May 13
Saw U2 again in Seattle - May 14
Took the redeye home (got into Newark at 6am) and went to see Midnight Oil that night in Philly - May 16

I toyed with driving out to Long Island the next night to see Metallica, but I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep. At 4am that night, my daughter woke us up to tell us that Chris Cornell was dead. :cry:

1699212466675.png

Saw Kishi Bashi last night with a viewing of his movie Omoiyari and a follow up set with the songs. Small group setting with just three of them, and answered some questions from the crowd in between songs. A really nice night of music.

View attachment 186637
I've been trying to convince my local station, who does movie nights and things like this to get K in our area, but haven't had much luck so far.

Back