Upcoming/Recent Shows

Covered the Ally Coalition Talent Show last night. Like last year, the entire lineup except for Bleachers was unannounced. Here's who ended up performing:

St. Vincent
xMiP2p0.png

Red Hearse
6ZYYGzE.png

Clairo
SjA5TJy.png

Claud
Crop6he.png

Jason Isbell
i3ctYzl.png

Bartees Strange (and his mother)
sVxQ45u.png

Bleachers
s9hUT8t.png

I haven’t been on here much so I have some catching up to do:

6/24 - Joseph @9:30 Club - apparently, I took no pictures but it was a great show. These sisters always seem to have fun together and they seemed even more at ease than previous performances. Opening band, Sawyer, was fun and charming as well. Sawyer joined Joseph onstage to do a cover of Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball” which was really fun - they added a lot of cool harmonies to the verses of the song that sounded great. I’m kinda bummed I don’t have any pics of Joseph cuz they had these amazing 70s-looking green/pink/orange outfits that made them look like flight attendants to somewhere tropical (it’s 6 months later and I’m still thinking about them haha).

7/14 - First Aid Kit @ the Anthem - I’m not a huge fan but I went with a friend and it was really lovely. It was interesting seeing them relatively soon after seeing another band with sisters singing together [Joseph]. First Aid Kit sounds a little more polished vocally but a lot of their songs also sound very similar, so it was very impressive, but not quite as fun.

IMG_1660.jpeg

7/29 - My Morning Jacket @ The Anthem - Katie Pruitt opened and I’d never heard of her before but she was a stunning performer. My Morning Jacket was quite a lot of fun - love how they extended their jams at the live shows. Very good energy all around.
IMG_1789.jpeg

8/20 - Gregory Alan Isakov @ McMenamin’s Edgefield - lovely outdoor lawn show. He and his band are such careful, committed performers - it’s always a thrill to watch. Shovels and Rope opened and they were fine but nothing really grabbed me. It was fairly warm though and I did kinda get harrassed by bees during the opening set, so maybe I was a little distracted. I had a can of like root beer (? I think?) and this one bee just kept coming for me and then leaving and then coming back over and over (maybe they were different bees). But things improved once I got rid of the root beer and switched to blackberry cider and beer.

IMG_1805.jpeg

8/27 - Black Country, New Road @ Crystal Ballroom - this show was kind of miserable due to the venue itself. I hadn’t been there in at least 10 years and they have a weird barricade going diagonally through the middle of the floor to separate the 21+ area from the all ages area. You could only have drinks on the 21+ side. However, it was hellishly hot in there, temp wise. They had little water cups and buckets of water in the back, and I got the last cup and just stuck to water. But when I went to the over 21 side of the floor and then tried to go back to the other side with my water - they made me throw the cup away which really pissed me off. Meanwhile, there were at least 3 separate people who passed out from the heat and fell to the floor - each time, it took the staff more than like a whole minute (which feels like forever) to actually get to them and assist them. There is barely any space on the floor due to the ridiculous amount of real estate occupied by the barriers between the all ages and 21+ sides of the floor. The whole thing just felt like a nightmare. I couldn’t really get anywhere near the stage and didn’t really want to because it was so hot in there that I thought I might pass out (i’d just finished a ~200-mile relay the day before). The band sounded good from what i could hear but the acoustics in there were not great and all the people around me in the back were talking and every 20 minutes someone would drop to the floor and require medical attention. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the Crystal even though it looks kinda cool.

IMG_1820.jpeg

9/23 - Nick Cave (solo) with Colin Greenwood - totally enchanting; this was my 3rd time seeing Nick Cave perform live and it was probably my favorite. He played a long setlist spanning his career but stripped-down and reworked versions that often were barely recognizable (to me, at least) other than the lyrics. Hearing just him on the piano and his voice with the bass really allowed his voice to shine and made these renditions even more strikingly emotional and poignant. There was a lot of banter with the audience between songs, and he shared a lot of stories about the meaning of the songs or how he wrote them and he’s just a wonderfully brilliant performer. The way that he knows how to create tension and resolve it and when to pause for effect and everything else even as he and Colin were improvising their way through these experimental versions was so incredibly satisfying to witness. He could have played the exact same setlist the next night and I would have gladly gone to see him again.

To be continued

Continued

10/7 - Miya Folick @ The Atlantis - fun show. She sounded great and seemed to be having fun. There was a lovably awkward moment when someone in the crowd made a joke about smoking a joint and she was like “oh, I could never do that - are you serious?” She closed her set by covering Joni Mitchell’s “River” and it made me concerned that it was like a tribute or something but I checked and Joni Mitchell is still alive.

10/12 - Kim Petras @ the Anthem - opener was a fun DJ that got the crowd going. Kim’s show was quite elaborate in terms of visuals and dancers and just the number of songs she performed. She seems to have perfect pitch and the dancing was impressive. Thematically, the show seemed to kind of bop around between more of a gothic vibe and a sexually…forward vibe. It was fun but maybe a little immature.

10/13 - Gregory Alan Isakov @ the Anthem - accidentally got tickets to see him twice on this tour but wasn’t mad about it. I’m pretty sure the setlist was identical but I was glad to be able to savor each of those again. Opener Lucius was also quite lovely.

10/21 - Lauryn Hill/the Fugees @ Capital One Arena - it sounds like @Fleetwood-Matt caught a much better show. Everything ran late for us too and the opening DJ person was just ok and clearly there to just kill time. We didn’t have any members of The Roots there, but the Howard University Marching Band did show up on the floor and work their way through the crowd, playing along during a few songs and took the stage between the two sets which was kind of fun since i think it was their homecoming weekend. My main gripe is that the acoustics were not good and whoever was doing sound for the show just had everything cranked way up and the sound was really chaotic and messy. She had a ton of musicians on stage for her solo set, like 5 or 6 backup singers and maybe a 20 piece orchestra. The renditions of her songs sounded similar to what she performed at Bonnaroo in 2014 when I saw her before. Many felt kind of rushed and high energy, where I would have loved for her to just breathe and take her time with them. She was also recovering from some kind of sickness but her voice sounded amazing nonetheless. It was fun to see the Fugees together performing their hits but the sequencing seemed odd: they did a cover of “No Woman, No Cry” and then did “Ready or Not” and it kind of felt like the finale, but then Wyclef did a few of his (much less famous) songs, and then they did “Ghetto Superstar” with Lauryn singing Mya’s part and then finally closed with “Fu-gee-la.” It was just a weird rollercoaster of vibes. But it looked like they were all having fun and that, in itself, felt pretty special to see.

10/26, 10/27, 10/28 - Houndmouth @ the Atlantis. Went all 3 nights, they seemed to get progressively better each night. There was a lot of overlap and repetition though in the setlists. It wasn’t clear what the value was in seeing all 3 shows. I could have just gone to the last one and been fine but they were all fun.

11/15 - Kasabian @ 9:30 Club - had never seem them before and wasn’t familiar with any of their albums since the debut but it was a fun show. The lead singer has a lot of personality and connected really well with the crowd.

8/27 - Black Country, New Road @ Crystal Ballroom - this show was kind of miserable due to the venue itself. I hadn’t been there in at least 10 years and they have a weird barricade going diagonally through the middle of the floor to separate the 21+ area from the all ages area. You could only have drinks on the 21+ side. However, it was hellishly hot in there, temp wise. They had little water cups and buckets of water in the back, and I got the last cup and just stuck to water. But when I went to the over 21 side of the floor and then tried to go back to the other side with my water - they made me throw the cup away which really pissed me off. Meanwhile, there were at least 3 separate people who passed out from the heat and fell to the floor - each time, it took the staff more than like a whole minute (which feels like forever) to actually get to them and assist them. There is barely any space on the floor due to the ridiculous amount of real estate occupied by the barriers between the all ages and 21+ sides of the floor. The whole thing just felt like a nightmare. I couldn’t really get anywhere near the stage and didn’t really want to because it was so hot in there that I thought I might pass out (i’d just finished a ~200-mile relay the day before). The band sounded good from what i could hear but the acoustics in there were not great and all the people around me in the back were talking and every 20 minutes someone would drop to the floor and require medical attention. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the Crystal even though it looks kinda cool.

IMG_1820.jpeg
I was there. It was definitely way too hot nearest the stage of the 21+ barricade. Sorry I didn't see you.
I don't like this venue at all, and I've been here five times this year (B2B for Caroline Polachek). I refuse to go here next year even though Sampha, Silversun Pickups, and a few others are playing at this venue.

Man, I wish I could make it to Ottawa in a couple of weeks - Musk Ox are playing their first live show in over three years!

@Turbo @Hollywood - I don't recall if either of you have checked these cats out and/or are into them, or chamber folk trios in general. Ought to be a stellar show, though, if something like this might suit your fancy.

Earthless ~ Casbah San Diego 1/30/2024

Earthless returned to the Casbah to help celebrate the clubs 35th anniversary. They are playing two nights, I went last night where they played the album Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky in full. And when I say full, they took two 20-25 minute songs that make up the album and stretched them out for just about 2 hours of crushing riffs. Started off in the back of the club, but got sidestage about halfway through which was a perfect vantage point to watch the drummer (Mario Rubalcaba of Rocket From The Crypt, Hot Snakes, Off!, others) and bass player do their thing. Combining that with the vintage 60's light show it made for an excellent evening.

Edited to add - Proud Dad moment. The 16 year old scooped up the Earthless shirt I got and she wore it to school today. Probably should have bought two.

Tagging @Hemotep as I know you like these guys, not sure you spend time in this thread though.

IMG_5667.jpegIMG_5684.jpeg

Last edited:
Joshua Redman with Gabrielle Cavassa at the Keystone Korner in Baltimore. He's probably the best sax player alive (don't want to start any debate here), she was a pleasant surprise. Her voice is incredible, never heard a control like that.
I heard the album (Where Are We) on Qobuz, but I need to buy the vinyl of this one.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.jpeg
    IMG_1233.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 3
Back