Upcoming/Recent Shows

Drive~By Truckers ~ Belly Up Tavern Solana Beach 11/7/2023

Caught the DBT a week ago, at the same place I saw first saw them (with a very different lineup) back in 2005. No less of a rock show, albiet with a lot less alcohol consumed onstage - thankfully. Good mix of songs from throughout their career, with a healthier dose of Dirty South than I expected.

IMG_4334.jpeg

The National - San Diego State Open Air Theater ~ 11/11/2023

Followed up the DBT with the National a few days later. Also a fantastic show from an incredibly tight and well tuned band.

Mrs ImTheOcean wasn't familiar with the National, enjoyed the show but she had two comments:
  • The drumming was fantastic.
  • I shouldn't listen to the lyrics.

IMG_4428.jpegIMG_4399.jpeg

Great show last night for Thanksgiving Eve with Alejandro Escovedo and The Young Fresh Fellows! Alejandro’s band is just ripping these days, if you haven’t seen him in a while get back on it! The Fellows were great too, and Scott and Kurt Bloch got up with Alejandro for the last three songs. Fun times were had!

IMG_0813.jpegIMG_0811.jpegIMG_0809.jpegIMG_0816.jpeg

11/25 Lauryn Hill and Fugees at the Wells Fargo Center

I’ve heard so many negative things about seeing her live; from her late arrivals to her weird renditions of her songs; but both Miseducation and the score are two of my all time favorite albums and the tickets were super cheap so I decided to bite the bullet. Things weren’t looking good when the original date for this show was postponed, when she told another date that they were lucky she showed up, and when she canceled the rest of her 2023 shows besides this one. So I got to the stadium and prepared to be disappointed.

The opener was a Dj whose name I forget. She was fine, played a lot of throwback rap and R&B and some new rap. She played a lot of Philly artist like Jill Scott and Meek and every time she did gave them a shout out like “give it up for Meek!!!” So when she ended her set by saying “Give it up for Questlove” I thought nothing of it until he WALKED ONTO THE STAGE!

Obviously I lost my goddamn mind! He ended up doing a DJ set for over an hour. The novelty definitely wore off by the 40 minute mark but I’m still happy I got to see him. The vibe did feel like he had to just fill time but their is way worst ways to fill time.

Lauryn came out first for her solo set, with a huge live band backing her. The band sounded great all night and added a lot to the show. She did pretty much everything off Miseducation minus two songs. The arrangements were different from the ones I’m familiar with which worked for some songs like “Final Hour” and “Everything is Everything” (which she opened with), and didn’t work as well for others like “Lost One”. During her set she brought out philly rapper Freeway who im not familiar with but I enjoyed his 2 songs. She also brought out one of her sons so he could perform for a bit. I was less into this and would rather had one of the Miseducation songs we didn’t get but it seemed important to her so I won’t complain

She then went off for a few minutes before coming back on with Wyclef and Pras. This is we’re the show went from good to all time great! The live band elevated these songs and all three of them sounded incredible! Right from the start with “How Many Mics” it was non stop fire! And the surprises did not stop! First they brought out Outsidaz for Cowboys which sounded alittle chaotic but a blast! Then they brought out Philly R&B legends the Delfonics for some of their own songs and to join them on “Ready or Not”, and the final surprise of the night was Black Thought coming out to perform some of his music! Every surprise tied back to Philly and all night Lauryn, Wyclef and Pras were talking about how important this city was to them and their careers and you really felt that love! The set list also included a solo Pras song and a solo Wyclef song which was nice addition. They ended the night with like a 10 minute jam to “Fu Gee La” which is my favorite song by them but by this point it was almost 1am so we had to leave during it lol. Overall it was a 10/10 show! Best songs for me were “The Score” which sounded revolutionary with the live band and “Killing Me Softly” which legitimately made me tear up she sounded so beautiful

8DD7E7D5-29C5-4D31-99DF-3B9FC0C49E16.jpegB054617F-43C1-4BC4-B3BF-982650A775D3.jpeg07473E47-F30C-47A7-87C4-35DB47818904.jpegFEDF8EB5-F0EA-42F9-AF52-F3FD21581FE0.jpeg41942F7D-696D-446B-A668-D3700DEDF988.jpeg

November was fun:

The Japanese House
4uocELa.jpg

Maren Morris
u7ZAvp9.png

MUNYA
5A1lkSV.png

SPRINTS
CVpY6uo.png

LCD Soundsystem
rYe2iJt.png

Charly Bliss
zuDhzGG.png

Baby Queen
kfL14Kb.png

KiNG MALA
vZBiiUI.png

L'Rain was really really good back on Tuesday night here in the Rose City. I don't have photos of opener Lucy Liyou tho (was quite a bizarre, but good, performance). I was going to see L'Rain last year but the tour had to be cancelled months prior.

Taja Cheek and her band played for about an hour. Setlist sounded to be a mix of some unique songs for the tour not found on either Fatigue and this year's I Killed Your Dog. I loved how genre-fluid the band was throughout the entire set (psychedelic soul, avantgarde, post-rock, funk, ethereal pop, slowcore) with each song sounding completely different from those prior.

Beautiful, fulfilling performance.

20231205_212654.jpg20231205_214353.jpg20231205_214438.jpg20231205_220541.jpg

The venue's IG account even posted some video footage, something not typical of them:

She sold out her merch entirely prior to the Portland date! Thought about getting the new record, but I at least have Fatigue signed on the back 🥰

20231205_224304.jpg20231205_224445.jpg

EDIT: lol used the same photo twice. Fixed now.

Last edited:
Free ticket to see Hania Rani and I'm glad I decided to go at the last minute. Great show last night.

1hr 45min performance w/encore. Just like with L'Rain the night before, Hania blends a few genres in her songcraft, but with these being more closely associated.

She began the set with 10min of analogue progressive electronic synthesis, ala Laurie Spiegel, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, Caterina Barbieri and the like. She then transitioned into playing a mixture of ambient pop/modern classical/chamber pop with a few songs I recognized from this year's Ghosts. There was even a beautiful, fast-paced instrumental minimalism piece where Hania looped between the two pianos she was using and the synthesizers to create a whirlwind of modern classical brilliance.

I may have to reevaluate Ghosts now after having witnessed her perform. I did enjoy the record, but perhaps missed something on my initial listen. Borderline top10 fave show this year. Small annoyance in my instance was being situated next to a few old dudes that don't know how to be quiet during an ambient-adjacent concert.

20231206_220431.jpg

20231206_221603.jpg

It's been a pretty great couple of weeks for live music in these parts....and next week is MJ and Karly from Wednesday...

The Minus 5 (Scott McCaughey, Peter Buck, Alajandro Escovedo, Casey Neill) – Neil Young Birthday Tribute

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 5.29.06 PM.png

Mapache

IMG_8089.JPG

Margo Cilker

IMG_8105.JPG

Built to Spill (two nights!)

IMG_8191.JPG

Yussef Dayes

IMG_8333.JPG

Dean Johnson

IMG_8352.JPG

Hania Rani

IMG_8382.JPG

Last edited:
We took a 6 hour drive down to Virginia for our 2nd Goosemas. Spent a couple days in Williamsburg first (rode some coasters at Busch Gardens) then went to night two at The Mothership, Hampton Coliseum just 25 mins away. For us, they are a band that there is no reason to queue for (they pretty much just stand still on the stage and jam) so we ended up sitting kind of side stage, but had a really good view of them. That said, their light shows are phenomenal and I do wish we could have been across the arena from the stage for that. (did end our night at that end)

These are just a few of my iPhone pix, haven't even looked at my Lumix ones yet. Such a fun night! Two sets, from 8:10 til 11:45ish, with a short break in between. We had a blast! So many covers, including 99 Luftballons, Circles by Post Malone (which was fab) Big Blue by Vampire Weekend, Jungle by ELO, Run Through the Jungle by CCR, Jungle Boogie, and The Way it Is with Bruce Hornsby on keys and he sang as well.

Both nights are up on youtube if anyone wants to watch.

Rumors are that next Goosemas is going to be at Sphere in Las Vegas. With my motion sickness, and the Goeddes' light show, it may be my demise! (Or at least severe projectile vomiting!)

IMG_5699.jpeg

IMG_5718.jpeg

IMG_5722.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

IMG_5736.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5738.jpeg
    IMG_5738.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5726.jpeg
    IMG_5726.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5737.jpeg
    IMG_5737.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
We took a 6 hour drive down to Virginia for our 2nd Goosemas. Spent a couple days in Williamsburg first (rode some coasters at Busch Gardens) then went to night two at The Mothership, Hampton Coliseum just 25 mins away. For us, they are a band that there is no reason to queue for (they pretty much just stand still on the stage and jam) so we ended up sitting kind of side stage, but had a really good view of them. That said, their light shows are phenomenal and I do wish we could have been across the arena from the stage for that. (did end our night at that end)

These are just a few of my iPhone pix, haven't even looked at my Lumix ones yet. Such a fun night! Two sets, from 8:10 til 11:45ish, with a short break in between. We had a blast! So many covers, including 99 Luftballons, Circles by Post Malone (which was fab) Big Blue by Vampire Weekend, Jungle by ELO, Run Through the Jungle by CCR, Jungle Boogie, and The Way it Is with Bruce Hornsby on keys and he sang as well.

Both nights are up on youtube if anyone wants to watch.

Rumors are that next Goosemas is going to be at Sphere in Las Vegas. With my motion sickness, and the Goeddes' light show, it may be my demise! (Or at least severe projectile vomiting!)

View attachment 190546

View attachment 190547

View attachment 190548

View attachment 190549

View attachment 190550
I was there too and it was an awesome time. I was on the floor, probably 20 feet in front of the soundboard. Loved the Bruce Hornsby guest appearance.

Back