Upcoming/Recent Shows

Went to see Goose on Fri and Sat nights in Philly. I love the Fillmore, but it was insanely oversold, especially on Fri night. Great shows, so much fun! Was shocked to get "This Old Sea" last night, one of my faves, we last saw it at Fred Fest in Virginia last September.
1647205650597.png

CHAI warmed my heart on a coldish night in Portland! I love them dearly.

Su Lee

A bedroom/indie pop musician, YouTuber, visual artist, partial comedian, and producer from South Korea. Her set was a healthy ~45min, with a fair number of her originals and a pair of covers (Chance The Rapper's "Cocoa Butter Kisses" and a-ha's "Take On Me"), both in a coy bedroom pop style. I learned during her in between song banter that a few of her songs gained rapid steam from a "casual" reddit upload, which boosted her audience more than tenfold in roughly a week's time.

20220313_211535.jpg20220313_211544.jpg

CHAI

These girls are a joy. Their music (WINK, in particular) has been a substantial portion of my 2021 listening and still continues to hold true today, as my last.fm charts would indicate. Set was actually quite short, with only ~50min of performance time including encore.
Sadly...YUUKI (ユウキ) the bassist was absent from Portland's set. She was there when CHAI performed at Arlene Schnitzer in Portland a week ago, though MANA (マナ), KANA (カナ), and YUNA (ユナ) explained that YUUKI was away to attend a personal matter. She was actually the last member to join the band when they formed, and so it was explained that the former three are the constants.
The costumes though! 🤗

20220313_220123.jpg20220313_220423.jpg20220313_223057.jpg20220313_224936.jpg

After about five songs, the group introduced themselves partially to the tune of "We're All in This Together" SQUEEEEE ❤️❤️❤️

A cover of the GOAT city pop track "Plastic Love," too!!!

YUNA gleefully shared her anticipation before they performed "Donuts Mind if I Do" that the band was excited to get some Voodoo Doughnuts tomorrow before finishing out the California leg of their tour, lol. Someone should pull the ladies aside and redirect them to Blue Star or Pip's, they'll be far more satisfied.

Post-Show

Got a shirt at the merch booth, which I was surprised but thankful to see given their trailer with belongings, original planned costumes, and merch being stolen from touring in Austin with Mitski. I guess Sub Pop may have footed the bill to restock their replaceable items. I learned unfortunately that Doug Fir Lounge changed their policies for no signed merch until around September. 😭 So, my copy of WINK remains unsigned. I suppose that since the group was temporarily down a member, it's for the best to wait until next time.
Still had a blast, of course.

20220314_020222.jpg

EDIT: Added a few sentences.

Last edited:
Anyone here heard Acid Dad before? They're playing a show at a local college soon.

The Voyeurist Tour, headlined by Underoath and featuring possibly the single greatest metalcore tour lineup to ever exist, swung by Silver Spring, Maryland at The Fillmore on March 18, 2022. Absolutely stunning sets from every band, all four acts were truly spectacular to watch! I'm a fairly casual fan of all 4 bands, with the exception of Spiritbox, who are the reason I bought tickets to this show. That said, all four bands impressed me, I could not stop headbanging and screaming, the atmosphere was immaculate. Tons of mosh pits and crowd surfing through all four sets, and as metal crowds always do, everyone looked out for each other. That didn't stop me from getting knocked around a good bit, but that's rock and roll! 10/10 show, one of the best I've seen in some time. Pictures aren't the best, but I did what I could.

SFTP.jpg

Stray From The Path (Setlist)

A fairly typical hardcore punk band in terms of their sound, Stray From The Path made their beliefs on the world clear, chanting "Fuck the alt-right!", and proclaiming that everyone, no matter who they are, are welcome at a Stray From The Path show. Right from the very first song, a mosh pit had already opened. Despite being the opener and only playing for 25 minutes, they certainly had some fans in the crowd. I'm glad to now be one of them, they brought back the spirit of early hardcore punk!

BadOmens.jpg

Bad Omens (Setlist)

A fairly new band on the metal block that merges rock, punk, metalcore, electronic, and tons of other sounds into something truly unique. Right as they took the stage, their presence was felt in the atmosphere. Their brief set showcased their range as musicians, from ambient electronic rock, to throat-shredding metalcore. They definitely had some fans in the crowd, I saw many of their shirts from the start of the night til the end. One of my favorite new bands already, absolutely stellar performance!

Spiritbox.jpg

Spiritbox (Setlist)

This is what I fucking came for. Spiritbox is another fairly new band, but they've already established their place in metal music and made huge waves with their debut album Eternal Blue. Courtney LaPlante's incredible screams and soft, serene singing makes her one of the greatest singers in metal today, and that came through loud and clear live. The crowd went absolutely ballistic for some of the heavier songs, like "Holy Roller" and "Hurt You." They even brought out a fucking saxophonist to play "Constance" with them. How metal is that?! I truly wish their set could have been longer, but nevertheless, it was everything I ever dreamed of, and so much more. I discovered this band only a few short months ago, and I already own their entire discography on vinyl, and now, got to see them live. Blessed to have witnessed their greatness live!

Underoath.jpg

Underoath (Setlist)

This was actually my second time seeing Underoath. I first saw them 3 years ago, opening for Korn and Alice In Chains. This was, however, my first time seeing them headline. The former titans of Christian heavy metal may have dropped their faith, but they certainly haven't lost their strength, soul, and incredible heavy sound. Their set consisted of tons of new songs, as well as old fan favorites. I was quite tired after the first 3 intense sets, so I headed to the back of the room and watched from there. Still, an excellent show as always, there's a reason this band can still sell out shows a good two decades into their career. Awesome to see them again, they never disappoint!

Bob Weir and the Wolf Bros + The Wolf Pack tonight in Columbus at the beautiful Palace Theatre. Now, I've been one to dig on Bobby for his guitar tone with Dead & Co (and the first time I saw him and the Wolf Bros as just the trio). But holy guacamole the Wolf Pack adds everything that was missing. Cello, violin, trombone, trumpet, and sax, along with a pedal steel and of course Jeff on Keys. The sound is rich, the jams are spicy, and Bobby guitar tone is buried under the layers of sound.

Had a dream set tonight. Unbelievable energy. After the last Wolf Bros show I said I was done with solo Bobby. Welp, I'm back in, headfirst.

PXL_20220322_004456117.jpg
PXL_20220322_004503689.jpg

This Monday was my second time seeing Squid, and they thrilled with another electric performance. Got situated smack dab in front row a few feet of Ollie's drumset 🦑

Deliluh

Duo from Toronto fusing drone, post-punk, no wave, and a touch of synthpop. Quite loud, but enjoyable.
Neither member acknowledged the crowd at the start, after a few songs, nor in the final number...not even a wave to the audience.

View attachment 131691View attachment 131692

Squid 🦑

This set had most of their singles in a shuffled order from the Doug Fir setlist, and they included "Peel St." this time around 🤗
Just like last time, audience chanted for an encore...but it never came (but I knew to expect none this time around lol). So once again, an awkward exodus for the crowd.

View attachment 131686View attachment 131687View attachment 131688View attachment 131689

Post-show

Got a tee at the merch table after the show, the only merch item available other than 2xLP black vinyl of their studio album. Already have mine signed last November from meeting them near their van and getting a photo with the gents, so no pressure this time around.

View attachment 131690
these guys are amazing live! I saw them twice this week on Tues and Wed and both shows blew me away beyond my expectations.

I'm so thrilled I got to see these shows because they're only going to start playing bigger and bigger venues going forward, especially when I now see how they were playing tiny clubs in NYC only last year. (man, I wish I was into this band back then)

and same thing with Deliluh at the NY shows, zero acknowledgement of the crowd during the set, though I did catch a random nod or wave to the crowd afterwards as they were clearing out their gear. they were interesting and enjoyable enough, probably more interesting to see live than to listen on vinyl/stream their album. they did join Squid on Pamphlets on the second night, but honestly between the tech issues the guitarist was having and whatnot it kind of fell a bit flat at the end.

but holy hell, if you enjoy seeing a group of individuals put on a killer show I can't recommend SQUID enough!

Night 1 (Bowery Ballroom, NYC)
PXL_20220323_010646341.jpg

Night 2 (Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn)
PXL_20220324_021044140.jpg
PXL_20220324_021339567.jpg

Last edited:
Had a fun night seeing Erika de Casier after calling out of work! I love these $15-25 concerts so much lol

Tama Gucci

No, not the 90s portable phenomenon.
Their set went for no more than 25min, but was fairly dull overall. The music is kind of a hyperpop/R&B hybrid but devoid of energy. None of the vocal performances/instrumentals sounded distinct from each other, and just blended from one to the next.

20220326_191334.jpg20220326_193742.jpg

Erika de Casier

After taking stage and beginning to sing, Erika's microphone was not only garbled with static but also very quiet. She apologized to the crowd and took ~8min to get her equipment in functioning order, with event staff scrambling over to help. She began the set shortly after but unfortunately, there was also some microphone feedback occurring the end of the first two songs which cut Erika's voice out entirely. Soon enough, things were fixed and the ~65min setlist (w/encore) flew by.

She leans into the throwback aesthetic of her music tastefully, with one blouse strap hung below the shoulder as an early 00s trend...or at least I think that's what she was going for.

Despite the early technical issues, a very fun set overall! Encore selection of "Do My Thing" had everyone moving.

20220326_201306.jpg20220326_202004.jpg
20220326_202727.jpg

Took video of "Busy":

Post-show

Same deal as before at Holocene; I hate how the staff schedule events on the same day to be one hour apart from one another. We were forced out of the stage area merely five minutes after the encore finished, with only ~15min afterward to purchase merch or mingle in the surrounding area then being asked to GTFO.
Waited in the merch line to get my Sensational copy signed, but was losing hope quickly. While in line, I caught up with a concertgoer that I had seen at a few last year with him also wanting to get signed merch (a tour poster, in his case). When I was up next, I requested the merch guy to call over Erika if possible to get my record jacket signed. To my surprise, he was able to summon her, and she was kind enough to personalize the signature. After I and the other concertgoer got our items signed, I thanked her and was about to run out of the venue to catch public transit home, but he immediately got out his phone to suggest taking a picture of us. Couldn't really say no to that, of course.
Another concert success!

123_1~2.jpeg20220327_020851.jpg

A couple weeks ago I saw Sunflower Bean. I pre-ordered their latest record that will hopefully ship next month.

View attachment 133654
The first time we saw Sunflower Bean was in Jan 2018, at a venue called Everybody Hits, in Philly. It was a batting cage. To this day one of the most unique venues I’ve ever seen a show. They’re great, also preordered their new record.

DE51FEEE-72EF-49AC-AB14-4D46318CA2F4.jpeg

The first time we saw Sunflower Bean was in Jan 2018, at a venue called Everybody Hits, in Philly. It was a batting cage. To this day one of the most unique venues I’ve ever seen a show. They’re great, also preordered their new record.

View attachment 133659
That's cool! They are a lot of fun. I saw them a few years ago at Forecastle Festival, too.

That's cool! They are a lot of fun. I saw them a few years ago at Forecastle Festival, too.
They're playing one of my fave small venues in Philly in May - we haven't picked up tickets yet, but will most likely go. I last saw them in Camden, NJ in Aug 2019, they were on the bill with Spoon, Cage the Elephant and Beck was headliner.
1648387627245.png

Back