Upcoming/Recent Shows

Circuit Des Yeux was quite an experience on Sunday, apropos considering the venue being at a small church. Some photos of the outside:

20220227_185546.jpg20220227_185653.jpg

somesurprises

Enjoyable opener from Seattle, WA. The half hour set opened with a roughly five minute ambient/drone piece that transitioned into an upbeat indie rock/shoegaze hybrid number. Thereafter, the last four or so tracks were a mix of slowcore/post-rock sounding songs which were all quite enjoyable. Might think about getting their album at some point.

20220227_201058.jpg20220227_202118.jpg

Circuit Des Yeux

Pretty riveting performance from Haley and her band, though there were some stumbles...including long wait times between songs. What surprised me the most was the setlist containing only four tracks from the new album, with one being the 30sec intro. After playing all of these songs consecutively to open the set, the remainder of the roughly hour-long set consisted mostly songs from In Plain Speech and Reaching for Indigo. Encore was a frightening cover of Bauhaus's "The Passion of Lovers."

Despite the venue capacity at no more than 300, I don't think that even half of the pews were occupied when CDY began their set.

20220227_212845.jpg20220227_214215.jpg20220227_214223.jpg20220227_214217.jpg

Video of "Vanishing":

Post-show

Immediately headed over to the merch table in the adjacent room, bought an -io tee and waited around for Haley and her band to appear from behind the privacy doors. She signed and personalized my copies of In Plain Speech and -io that I brought from home. I was close to heading out until I remembered that Reaching for Indigo was available at the merch table. Purchased that and requested Haley to sign it as well, after waiting for a convo between her and a concertgoer to end.

20220301_214254.jpg

The new album is good.
Really strong. Have it in constant rotation. Sadly, there is still a wait for the vinyl release, which is in April, I think. I pre-ordered it immediately and am not ashamed to admit that with shipping, it was over $80. The Oils have been my husband's fave band since the late 80's (when I introduced them to their music) and we had hoped for a reunion tour for 14+ years. Flew to Atlanta in May 2017 for the kickoff, saw the local gigs (missed some as we had already booked a trip out west) but are now planning on NYC, Philly and DC. If we can sneak away, will do Boston and more than likely Chicago. Beyond thrilled that they are giving the US a few more dates. We thought 2017 was it.

This Monday was my second time seeing Squid, and they thrilled with another electric performance. Got situated smack dab in front row a few feet of Ollie's drumset 🦑

Deliluh

Duo from Toronto fusing drone, post-punk, no wave, and a touch of synthpop. Quite loud, but enjoyable.
Neither member acknowledged the crowd at the start, after a few songs, nor in the final number...not even a wave to the audience.

20220307_204058.jpg20220307_204114.jpg

Squid 🦑

This set had most of their singles in a shuffled order from the Doug Fir setlist, and they included "Peel St." this time around 🤗
Just like last time, audience chanted for an encore...but it never came (but I knew to expect none this time around lol). So once again, an awkward exodus for the crowd.

20220307_220036.jpg20220307_214112.jpg20220307_220211.jpg20220307_224308.jpg

Post-show

Got a tee at the merch table after the show, the only merch item available other than 2xLP black vinyl of their studio album. Already have mine signed last November from meeting them near their van and getting a photo with the gents, so no pressure this time around.

20220308_002514.jpg

Billy Strings in Cleveland tonight!

Pretty unbelievable set. 10 cover songs, including some bangers from The Beatles, Litte Feat, Black Sabbath, a REALLY spaced out Dead cover of Dark Star aaaaaaaaaaand Cher. Yes, Billy and the gang played Believe. Packed house. Super fun.

Can't wait for 2 nights in Cincy later this week!

PXL_20220310_021458090.jpg

Last edited:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor was stupendously amazing. There hasn't been a parallel in the time I've gone to concerts that I can think of that was similar in scope and artistic vision. Breathtakingly compelling.

I don't know who these guys are

Opener of three members with 30min of set time, drone music from start to finish. After the ~20min mark, a variation switch on the drones occurred, which was fused with environmental sounds and sampling. Worked well.
The group didn't acknowledge the audience at all other than with a raised hand to the audience following the dissipation of the droning variation.

20220309_200034.jpg20220309_200121.jpg

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Approximately 1hr 40min of organic, dynamic, pulse-pounding, ear-splittingly powerful post-rock. They demonstrated why they are masters of their genre through and through.

The set begun with the introductory drone from "The Dead Flag Blues" which continued to play for roughly five minutes before a single band member took to the stage. One by one, each member of the eight man ensemble took the stage with a brisk walk, with ~30sec of time separation for each band member appearing from the sides of the curtain. The placement of band members in an arch, outside a pair of percussionists, facing each other is juxtaposition that I had never seen before. Also very courteous of the entire collective to be masked while performing, something I've also never seen in person post-lockdown.

At least six gradually ascending fortissimo flourishes existed in this setlist, with many of them extending out for several minutes past what I had remembered them sounding like on the studio LP. On the back visuals, projected by an old school vintage movie camera about 80 feet from the stage, some disturbing scenes of burning fields and buildings were depicted for the length of "Fire at Static Valley," striking a palpably harrowing chord with me...given the conflict overseas.

The closing moments bore equal amounts tension and joy. Like with the opener, not a word spoken by any of the musical collective, with each member ringing out their final note/chord and resting their instruments along its respective amplifier, emitting vociferous feedback. Just as they entered, they then calmly exited the stage on the side nearest their position after a subtle raised hang to acknowledge/thank the audience, one by one. After roughly five minutes of droning/noise following the last musician's stage exit (leftmost guitarist), some of their audio crew took stage to adjust knobs little by little to create the apropos decrescendo to finish off the set, until it was dead silent. The following applause was joyous and unforgettable.

I know my concert count is very limited, but I would file this one in my top3 without hesitation.

20220309_211255.jpg20220309_211610.jpg20220309_215126.jpg20220309_221609.jpg

Post-show

Expensive vinyl/CDs at merch table, along with various shirts with all designs being sold out of M size. Just headed home immediately after a quick lookover.

Saw Khurangbin at Radio City with Nubya Garcia as the opener on Thursday.
About 25 rows back even though the pictures make it look like I was a mile away lol.
A pure joy from start to finish. Admittedly I am a much bigger fan of Nubya than Khruangbin, but Khru absolutely blew me away. Such a fun show.
Nubya Garcia
IMG_2249.jpeg

Khruangbin
IMG_2252.jpeg

Last night of the Ohio run of shows with Billy Strings. Spent tonight in the Pit for the first time. Amazing set. My brother was stoked to get a Peggy-O, but honestly overall I think I'd rate the Ohio sets
1) Cleveland
2) Cincy Night 2
3) Cincy Night 1

PXL_20220313_023425279.jpg

After Billy we took the Streetcar up into Over The Rhine to one of my old hangs, MOTR Pub, where This Pine Box was playing. Those in the know with Soul Step Records will recognize the name. It's probably been 3 or 4 years since I last saw them.

PXL_20220313_055347824.jpg

Back