Upcoming/Recent Shows

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - February 24, 2022 at the Warfield, SF.

52D598E9-870B-4D68-B408-13A52314BDC4.jpeg
37772486-30E3-4AEB-8E5B-52382A0FD892.jpeg
B25A02DA-316C-443D-B647-21590AD0A81E.jpeg

Fantastic show by Jason and the band last night, and so nice to have Amanda out on this run. It was a pretty rocking show with lots of great solos and guitar work but also plenty of heartbreaking songs like Elephant, Cover Me Up, and If We Were Vampies. Plus I had to buy the show specific shirt.

3C535812-4978-45F4-BD00-F0805852140E.jpeg

The taper community would probably like a word with Ms. Mitski and would take issue with the concept that it can be "overdone". I'd be curious to hear @Yer Ol' Uncle D's thoughts on whether the fact this is video recording vs. the historically accepted audio recording changes the dynamics in a tapers mind.

Further, while this is not the hot take thread, and I am most definitely NOT the kind of person to do this - there is an argument to be made that with ticket prices/fees what they are "I'll enjoy the show they way I want to enjoy the show (as long as I'm not breaking the venues rules)."

What's next - hey I'm playing up here can you NOT hang out at the bar during my set?

I once was at a show and the performer got upset b/c people weren't standing and said something about it. I paid for the seat and Imma sit if I want to sit - especially if you are going to fill your set with a bunch of slow mid-tempo songs. (It was Jeff Tweedy BTW).

I dont know, I guess I have little patience for any performer who tells me how I'm supposed to be "enjoying" the show.
I think there's a balance that can be struck between the artist and audience. An audio taper should be fine, I don't see why an artist would care about that unless they have some unreleased music they'd rather not get out. Most of the time audiences are fine with that if the band/artists asks to not record a song or two. But if it's a normal show go right ahead as long as your microphone is not obstructing someone's view.

Mistki said "Ultimately it’s your night, and I want you to enjoy it as you like." So she won't stop you from recording video, but would rather the audience experience the live show in the moment and not watching the whole show through a tiny screen. She also said "This goes for both when I’m on stage, and when I’m an audience member at shows" so obviously it impacts her performance and when she's in the audience watching shows. When you have 15 people in front of you holding their arms up taking video for almost the entire set, that takes away from the experience of everyone around you. Not to mention it's even worse for shorter people who already can't see behind people's heads half the time.

I don't foresee any artist asking you to not be at the bar, unless you're actively ruining the experience for others talking loudly or laughing during a slower song or quiet moment. It's basically just a 'you can do what you want but don't be a dick to the rest of the audience' concern.

I agree about Tweedy, I'd sit as well. Kind of hate seated shows where sometimes you have people standing and then you have to stand, but maybe a few rows back some people are sitting. Being forced to stand because you can't see sucks.

EDIT: Also, this is an assumption on my part, but I think the vast majority of people recording almost the whole show are probably not part of the taper community. Mitski's fanbase is younger, so mostly young people who're sharing with their friends on social media. We all have that friend who posts 25 instagram stories of being at the back of a crowd at the show with awful audio. I can agree with you that that person has all the right to do that. But I think Mitski wants the audience to focus on the moment of the live show, like she said "it makes me feel as though those of us on stage are being taken from and consumed as content, instead of getting to share a moment with you"

Last edited:
When you have 15 people in front of you holding their arms up taking video for almost the entire set, that takes away from the experience of everyone around you. Not to mention it's even worse for shorter people who already can't see behind people's heads half the time.

I don't foresee any artist asking you to not be at the bar, unless you're actively ruining the experience for others talking loudly or laughing during a slower song or quiet moment. It's basically just a 'you can do what you want but don't be a dick to the rest of the audience' concern.

I agree about Tweedy, I'd sit as well. Kind of hate seated shows where sometimes you have people standing and then you have to stand, but maybe a few rows back some people are sitting. Being forced to stand because you can't see sucks.

Co-sign all of this.

I certainly subscribe to the Dont be a Dick ethos at a show.
But I also subscribe to the don't tell me I have to enjoy this a certain way ethos.

I advocate for erring on the "Dont' Be a Dick" side of that coin.
But sometimes the artist needs to be the one taking that advice,

Not saying that was Mitski here - but I've been at shows where it was. And the post and got me thinking about "recording in 2022" and how maybe video/phones is the default with anything other than legacy acts with a tapers' following - and what does that mean going forward?

Co-sign all of this.

I certainly subscribe to the Dont be a Dick ethos at a show.
But I also subscribe to the don't tell me I have to enjoy this a certain way ethos.

Not saying that was Mitski here - but I've been at shows where it was. And the post and got me thinking about "recording in 2022" and how maybe video/phones is the default with anything other than legacy acts with a tapers' following - and what does that mean going forward?
agreed. I added another point in an edit to my original post that's worth repeating.

Also, this is an assumption on my part, but I think the vast majority of people recording almost the whole show are probably not part of the taper community. Mitski's fanbase is younger, so mostly young people who're sharing with their friends on social media. We all have that friend who posts 25 instagram stories of being at the back of a crowd at the show with awful audio. I can agree with you that that person has all the right to do that. But I think Mitski wants the audience to focus on the moment of the live show, like she said "it makes me feel as though those of us on stage are being taken from and consumed as content, instead of getting to share a moment with you"

I think recording in 2022 is not something that is going to change anytime soon, but we all could benefit from being in the moment more during live shows, otherwise why spend that money to see the artist perform?

Saw Brandee Younger & Dezron Douglas play last night, the first time they have performed as a duo in front of a live audience. Hard to believe, but I guess that’s what a pandemic will do.

In any case, incredible performance..two sets featuring many tracks from Force Majeure, a couple Alice Coltrane, a Dorothy Ashby tune, and a few others mixed in.

I spoke with both of them after the show. Dezron mentioned that his quartet has a new release coming out on International Anthem, likely in October. 🤞🏼
I learned of Dezron several months back when he joined the Trey Anastasio Band as their new bassist, following the passing of their longtime bassist Tony Markelis. He immediately made them a better band. He is really, really talented and brought them to a level they haven't been in a long time, pushing Trey and the rest of the band to new landscapes. Immediately made me check out some of his stuff and its really great. Looking forward to that new release!

Also, this is an assumption on my part, but I think the vast majority of people recording almost the whole show are probably not part of the taper community. Mitski's fanbase is younger, so mostly young people who're sharing with their friends on social media.
This is what got me thinking about your post and the whole Dead Head Taper vs. Mitksi Recorder idea.

The taper community would probably like a word with Ms. Mitski and would take issue with the concept that it can be "overdone". I'd be curious to hear @Yer Ol' Uncle D's thoughts on whether the fact this is video recording vs. the historically accepted audio recording changes the dynamics in a tapers mind.

Further, while this is not the hot take thread, and I am most definitely NOT the kind of person to do this - there is an argument to be made that with ticket prices/fees what they are "I'll enjoy the show they way I want to enjoy the show (as long as I'm not breaking the venues rules)."

What's next - hey I'm playing up here can you NOT hang out at the bar during my set?

I once was at a show and the performer got upset b/c people weren't standing and said something about it. I paid for the seat and Imma sit if I want to sit - especially if you are going to fill your set with a bunch of slow mid-tempo songs. (It was Jeff Tweedy BTW).

I dont know, I guess I have little patience for any performer who tells me how I'm supposed to be "enjoying" the show.
I got into the habit (pre-covid, haven't really had the chance since) of hitting the voice recorder on my phone and leaving it facedown on a table or popping it into my top pocket (mic up) at most gigs. In some cases, I was able to check it was cool to do so with the musician themselves, but typically I figure that as I am the only person that will be relistening then there's no harm done. The quality is acceptable for me as relistening is as much of a nostalgic thing as a proper listening experience (I get so much enjoyment reliving it this way).

Personally, I don't see a problem with this approach but prolonged videoing is a different matter if it's affecting those around you. I have been to several gigs where the person in front of me has their phone raised above shoulder level recording and blocking the view. It's infuriating as nobody paid to watch it through a screen. At the end of the day, I guess it's all about respect. Respect for the people around you and respect of the musicians requests.

I absolutely hate when performers actively try to get you to clap for them. Like, it’s fine to work the crowd, but when you are like frustrated at the audience for not being as enthusiastic about your performance as you’d like them to be, that’s kind of your own deal. The first and last time I went to a Flaming Lips show, Wayne Coyne was just desperately trying to get everyone to clap louder for him and most of the crowd couldn’t be bothered. It was really odd and pathetic - I think some performers think they’re entitled to be worshipped by an audience just by virtue of standing on the stage. Like sometimes I’ve noticed people doing solos or whatever and then looking at the audience like they expect a huge outpouring of applause in the middle of the song and then looking all disappointed or pissed when they don’t get it - just bad vibes all around.

I absolutely hate when performers actively try to get you to clap for them. Like, it’s fine to work the crowd, but when you are like frustrated at the audience for not being as enthusiastic about your performance as you’d like them to be, that’s kind of your own deal. The first and last time I went to a Flaming Lips show, Wayne Coyne was just desperately trying to get everyone to clap louder for him and most of the crowd couldn’t be bothered. It was really odd and pathetic - I think some performers think they’re entitled to be worshipped by an audience just by virtue of standing on the stage. Like sometimes I’ve noticed people doing solos or whatever and then looking at the audience like they expect a huge outpouring of applause in the middle of the song and then looking all disappointed or pissed when they don’t get it - just bad vibes all around.

Quoting my experience with Black Pumas from last summer for this EXACT reason.

Same.

I saw them live on the first day of Railbird Festival (Fyrebird day), and they were getting visibly frustrated that not many people were waving the arms or clapping with them. So much so that he threatened (still not sure if serious or not) to cut the set short if we didn't. Bruh, it's 90+ degrees, we're all dehydrated from lack of water access, and you're gonna do this to us? Forget that.

The easiest way to boil down the difference in the original taping scene and the cellphone age, more times than not, comes down to one letter - old school = WE, new school = ME.

The original audio recording scene (and also video later on) was all about creating a relationship with the band, documenting the show in the best way possible (money was invested in the gear necessary to capture a great recording, all out of the taper's pocket), the least obtrusive way possible (you'll usually find taper erectus set up in the vicinity of the soundboard blocking no sightlines or harshing anyone's mellow) and getting those recordings to the fans. In most cases, taper's did what they did for the love of the band - we wanted to help them gain a wider audience, sell more records, sell more tickets and sell more t-shirts. And for that reason, the vast majority of us freely shared what we spent $ and hours producing. And that's why you can go to the Live Music Archive, among others, and freely stream or download 16K Dead shows, 1K DBT shows, 1.3K Smashing Pumpkins shows, and shows by thousands of other bands.

Also, there are tons of bands out there that aren't audio taper friendly, yet they'll allow a bunch of poorly recorded trash be posted on YouTube. I just don't understand that. A quality capture could do them so much good. Conversely, there are bands who recognize how important it is to have a quality recording shared for free to promote themselves. I've enjoyed relationships with a number of bands over the years that recognized the time, money and effort put into sharing a free, quality recording to move them forward and they reciprocated with free tix in exchange for the freely shared audio/video work.

As I view it, and this is just one man's opinion, the cellphones held aloft at more shows than not are about "see me, where I am right now, what I'm doing." A portion of the song is recorded, the head goes down looking at the device, the clip is immediately posted to Facegram, some conversation is exchanged with a mate about how a clip of the show was just shared, they look back to the stage and the song is over. My favorite is the person who looks at their phone or talks during the whole song and then lets out an obnoxiously loud "Woooooo" at the end. I don't understand why you would come to a concert, a gathering that's all about the music, and spend most of your time not paying attention to the music. But that's just me.

I've been to shows by Jack White, The Black Crowes and Bob Dylan where they have it plastered all over the venue and they announce up front "No mobile phone usage or you will be ejected" and were dead serious. Saw a few get tossed. And I have to say, as an attendee, no phones held aloft made the whole thing much more enjoyable. In my old age, I usually tend to stand in the back half of the room. Plus, I'm kinda tall and I just think it's more courteous to others. Can't tell you how many times I've had someone move in front of me and constantly hold a mobile aloft in front of my face. That's back to the ME.

With that said, I in no way agree with any artist pandering to get a certain reaction or involvement from the crowd. You want folks to freak out, earn it by freaking them out with your music. I can understand their point with the phone frustration. The last time I saw The Cult, Ian put things in pretty eloquent perspective between songs. He didn't tell anyone to put their phones away, didn't come across heavy-handed, but told everyone that they were making a choice to miss the show. A very loose paraphrase - "People, you're missing the show. You're here but you're missing the show. Your eyes, your ears, they're much more complex and sophisticated than your mobiles. They process and retain so much more than a tiny screen. Don't cheat yourselves. Free yourselves. Take it all in." Right on, Ian.

Welp, that was rambling...

Sold out show in Cleveland tonight for Foxy Shazam, who are on their first tour in years after going on hiatus. Only 3 original members from pre-hiatus, but the new blood sound GREAT. Shitty picture of them because I was too busy dancing the whole set.

Robert Finley opened and was such a charmer. Really enjoyed his set.

PXL_20220227_011122174.jpg
PXL_20220227_033748562.jpg
received_769286970715471.jpeg

Last edited:
Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings at the Youtube Theater 2/25

Ed had quite a band with him - Chad Smith, Glen Hansard, Josh Klinghoffer, Andrew Watt, and Chris Chaney.

First set kicked off with REM's Drive, then Eddie brought out Benmont Tench of the Heartbreakers to play on Tom Petty's Room at the Top and Long Way off Eddie's new album - most of the main set consisted of tracks from Earthing / Flag Day. Things got really good in the encore which featured the Band's arrangement of Marvin Gaye's "Don't Do It", complete with horn section, Benmont coming back out for a moving version of "The Waiting", and then Steward Copeland joining on drums for "Message in a Bottle". Chad was an absolute beast on the drums, and the looser the band got the more fun they were to watch.

This pic is from the last song - Rockin' in the Free World with Stewart on drums, and Chad Smith on guitar.

1645981917922.png

Saw Goose last night at the Mohegan Sun Arena in CT. The last time I saw them was their 4 show December 2019 Colorado run, where they played to no more than 90 people each night in small bars.

Last night they sold out an arena with 9,000 people, their largest show to date. 100x(!!) the people I last saw them with just prior to the pandemic. And they absolutely killed it. Can’t underestimate the trajectory these guys are on. They have “it” and it only keeps getting better!

1A1AAC10-C071-4349-B506-BD9FCFB2F4E0.jpeg

We were at Goosemas last night, too. Fabulous show. On a related note upthread regarding video recording, one of my fave Goose songs is Empress of Organos. My husband was recording the end of the song for me and security guy came up to us to tell him to stop. 🙄 10 seconds later, Ben, the drummer, proposed to his girlfriend onstage and everyone was recording. WTAF? So silly.

86CDE496-E1D7-4923-BC4E-3BDEA3F7005A.jpeg

We were at Goosemas last night, too. Fabulous show. On a related note upthread regarding video recording, one of my fave Goose songs is Empress of Organos. My husband was recording the end of the song for me and security guy came up to us to tell him to stop. 🙄 10 seconds later, Ben, the drummer, proposed to his girlfriend onstage and everyone was recording. WTAF? So silly.

View attachment 130552
First, LOVE Empress. Was so happy to get one along with Rockdale. And that's bizarre about the recording? Never heard of security doing that at such a jam band show, especially when they allow you to tape! Must've been a rogue security guard.

The Mitski discussion is interesting because in other performing arts, daring to video record any portion of it is a no-go. Filming a comedian's set ranges from "you will get called out by the comedian" to "you will be ejected" - it makes more sense professionally (where comedian sets will be the same each night and be filmed for a special) than it does for musicians but is pretty standard. Yondr pouches are common place for bigger comedians. Live theater, particularly at higher levels, are a similar no-go. The differences make sense but artists in other mediums exert more control without issue.

The most successful approaches I've seen from artists who do care about that come with bargaining with the crowd. Lucy Dacus was successful at suppressing Thumbs for years just by asking fans not to record that particular song. A lot of comedians will basically say "don't record/photograph during the show and at the end I'll give you your opportunity to get your photo/video" and I think artists could embrace that depending on the genre/music type. Personally? I'm aggressively for artists setting the terms of how their art gets consumed, recorded, and distributed. The live performance is in many ways the last frontier for artists to put their work into the world for their fans on their terms, and if Mitski's terms are "don't flash film every moment of this show" I'm on board. Heck, if all of my work was being recorded by one random person in our 300 person teams meetings because they might want to re-live my dulcet tones while discussing pharmacy rebates I might not feel like that lets me produce my best work either.

(Edit: I'd also question that if you, as a fan, are unable to abide by and artist's particular request regarding their art, I am wondering how much of a fan you are of the artist/music vs. the experience. Like, I struggle to imagine feeling good about actively opposing a musician's preference in terms of how their show goes but calling myself a fan of what they do).

Granted, I'm kind of with YOUD in that the shows I've been to with hard no phones rules have been flat out more enjoyable than those without them, though I'd probably say the kind of fans there might contribute to that too and I may be biased on this.

(As an aside, if you are so inclined to listen to an entire Mitski show, there is one from this tour on Archive and given the setlists are uniform on them, you'll probably be able to re-live your moment of preference. I do think different artists produce different levels of "value" in having their live performances recorded in volume but that is a very different overall debate IMO.)

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of pent up "OMG I'm out in the world and doing something again" energy right now and while I haven't been to any shows this winter, last summer/fall it was worse than I remember pre-covid concert going.

Back