Upcoming/Recent Shows

Sons of Kemet put on a fun show tonight in DC! The bad news is that I forgot about the show because I bought tickets back in May of last year (and I also moved to a new apartment yesterday!) and I double-booked myself tonight (totally missed the Oscars, too, haha). The good news is that I still was able to swing by the show and catch the last 40 minutes or so of their set. I wasn’t sure what the vibe would be but everyone was bopping along and the guys seemed like they really had fun performing and sharing their energy with the small crowd. While many of their songs seem pointedly political, the show (at least the part that I saw) seemed to focus on just creating a vibe. At one point near the end, Shabaka said that he knows US audiences expect more on-stage banter, and he kind of apologized for not really doing much of that and announced that he was going to make some kind of statement, but it just ended up being something along the lines of identifying macro sources of tension in the world and needing to alleviate that tension both at the macro level and the individual level. I was expecting something a little more specific or hardhitting than that, but oh well. It was a really fun show and they seem like really lovely guys.

503A4711-2CA0-412F-BAF5-CC4D4DC62E48.jpeg

Voivod Touring:

George Clinton coming out of retirement and P-Funk is touring:
(more dates listed here but no other info George Clinton Comes Out of Retirement for 2022 Parliament-Funkadelic Tour)

Had a blast with Magdalena Bay in Portland on a Wednesday night!

Cecile Believe

Electropop musician from Canada. Her set went for ~35min.

She was OK. But, hearing her voice while performing sounded eerily familiar. I researched her name immediately after her set ended, which confirmed my hunch...she had cowritten and performed guest vocals on half of the tracks on SOPHIE's iconic OIL OF EVERY PEARL'S UN-INSIDES, including the amazing "Is it Cold in the Water?," although she didn't perform any tracks she appeared as a feature on the album in this set. I can assure you that the crowd would've gone berserk if "Immaterial" or "Faceshopping" had played, as notable examples. I'm certain that the overlap between Mag Bay fans and SOPHIE fans is sizable.

I completely spaced on how I knew of her name before, but remembering now makes me regret not bringing my copy of SOPHIE's only studio record for her to sign (on the back, out of respect for the late legend).

20220330_200241.jpg20220330_200248.jpg

Magdalena Bay

Lots of fun! The duo performed Mercurial World from front to back for their set. Was really surprising to see a live drummer; totally thought would be a synthetic implementation for live performances given the electropop/synthpop hybrid of their music.

The back visuals were mostly vaporwave (really despise that word/term), Windows 98, geometric models, and a touch of cel-shaded graphics. There was some narrative tying it all together, a robot named Chaeri (one of the singles on Mercurial World) desiring to feel emotions.

Encore consisted of three songs from their recently released EP. Altogether, a roughly 1hr set.

20220330_214206.jpg20220330_210202.jpg20220330_210020.jpg20220330_214128.jpg

A recording of two tracks segued together seamlessly, just like on the record:

Post-Show

Took seemingly forever for the crowd in the stage room to clear up. I debated getting merch for too long after the conclusion of the show, so the line to the merch table went for at least 80+ people wrapping around half the length of the building. Merch table didn't have any copies of Mercurial World on vinyl, so while I didn't purchase physical media (I'm on a no-buy March, after all) I did purchase one of the four T-shirt options. After, Matt and Mica were right there at the merch table for everyone to get merch inked, photos, chat briefly, and whatnot. So, why not? Kind and generous of them to wait until probably over an hour after the show finished to get to meet everyone who waited after. I didn't know they were an actual couple outside of professional music creation until they hinted at it during a part of one of their skits during the show (confirmed in an overheard conversation).

20220330_225009.jpg20220330_235050.jpg

EDIT: Can't believe I said "Thursday" in the introductory sentence. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Armand Hammer bringing the heat in Portland. 🔥🔥

Milc and friends

Yeah he still blows. Some of Milc's buddies were decent enough. Carryover from the Boldy James show from last October.

20220331_203050.jpg20220331_203041.jpg

Armand Hammer

They played all of Haram and a few from Shrines. Setlist (no encore) went for ~65min.

The combination of Billy Woods and Elucid is crazy. Woods carries this calm, intelligent aura about him when simply speaking or waiting to drop a verse but harnesses impactful, debonair delivery in the pockets of time he is given. Elucid is great too, but Woods stole the spotlight for me quite often.

20220331_211909.jpg20220331_213736.jpg20220331_222016.jpg20220331_221801.jpg

I snuck in a partial clip of "Falling Out the Sky." Woods's delivery in a live setting is palpably striking. There are some irksome grunts from the obnoxious kid next to me at around the 1min mark:

Post-show

Merch line snaked around for the length of almost one hour, no joke. They had a repress of Haram in a few limited variants of the cover, including a repress of the OG artwork with Japanese OBI imported from Japan. They were all $50 for any LPs, but I was able to convince myself to snag one considering that I didn't get to the merch table until midnight (yes, you read that right) which signaled me having completed my "no-buy March" successfully. 🎉 Also sold a record for $60 less than two days ago, so basically an equal tradeoff.
Got this inked of course. Thought about a T-shirt/long sleeve, but the signed LP was plenty enough. Wanted a photo with them, but the line was still long. The duo was also actively involved with the other merch ladies at the venue in taking payment from other concertgoers to help expedite the line so I didn't want to slow it down out of courtesy.

20220401_004041.jpg
EDIT: Grammar correction.

Last edited:
interesting discussion point from the owner of DNA Lounge in SF: Wherein Musicians Are Begging Fans to Mask Up at Concerts

I can only speak to personal experience., but I’ve been to two “postdemic” shows in the past couple days. Both had vaccine checks and, ostensibly, mask requirements at one. Both were GA shows were a tight floor pit and spread out upper level and both were high energy shows with lots of 20 and 30 something’s (Bleachers and Girl Talk). Masking couldn’t have been over 10% inside, probably closer to 5%. Girl Talk had probably 20 people on stage maskless surrounding him and Bleachers were face to face with many crowd members.

I cannot envy their position at all in this. I definitely…hung back at both shows masked up out of caution

Watkins Family Hour at the Belly Up Solana Beach 4/3. (@Sonicpharmacist including a picture of the shark above the bar just to bring back some memories for you!)

Excellent show from Sara and Sean Watkins. Songs covered the range of their career, from Nickel Creek to Watkins Family Hour, with plenty of covers too. Sara has a gorgeous voice and both their playing was impeccable. They called out for requests at the end, and picked my request - Nottingham (from the Disney version of Robin Hood). Everyone loves a song about overtaxed sad rabbits and turtles, right?

1649098247411.png

1649098281347.png

Checked off a bucket list show now having seen Grouper on Tuesday night at Polaris Hall in Portland.

The entire show segued song to song, with absolutely no audience interaction from Liz Harris (Grouper) or even a "thank you" from her at the concert's finish. Much of the soundscapes featured in her live performance were repeated guitar strums so overwhelmingly saturated in reverb + delay that it sounded akin to being underwater. There were several moments where the music approached a dreamlike state that I had difficulty staying awake, allowing myself to shut my eyes for a few minutes, heightening the euphoria. Was almost hallucinogenic.

20220405_203946.jpg20220405_204012.jpg

Didn't take many photos at all considering the venue was seated, me being a few rows back, and I did not wish to interrupt the atmosphere with photos during mid-performance of an ambient/drone/ethereal show.

I did get my records of hers signed after walking up to the stage after waiting ~5min for her to reappear after she left the stage and to the privacy doors. Her signature for these was not her name but rather a symbol, unique to each album.

For A I A: Dream Loss, an "eye" near the top of the artwork, and "xo" written in the lower-right corner:

20220406_044540.jpg20220406_044603.jpg

For A I A: Alien Observer, a "star" in the space of the white galaxy pictured the middle of the artwork:

20220406_044615.jpg

For Ruins, a "web" in the upper-left of the window/panel:

20220406_044645.jpg
Would love to see her perform again. She hadn't performed in Portland in over three years, prior to last night.

I saw Lucy Dacus last night in Oslo. Great but a little louder than I expected. Decent support act from Fenne Lily, almost more like I was expecting Dacus to be. Also thanks to her asking for saw more face masks in Oslo than I've almost ever seen before.

20220406_211607.jpg

20220406_201724.jpg

I saw Sigrid twice in the span of like 14 hours. Covered last night's show for my friend's music blog after not having shot a show in a looooong while. This morning, just as a fan, I saw her perform an acoustic set in the Empire State Building, of all places.

MFfVcJS.jpg

Isfl7uh.jpg

Last edited:
Had a blast seeing Amber Mark last night in Portland!

She performed a set time for around ~1hr 40min with a setlist of just over 20 songs, although she had to cut it slightly short due to being over for time and almost ~15 min to closing time. She had more throwback cuts from years past than I anticipated (roughly half the set), and with me being a newer fan, I was quite surprised.

Completely out of breath by the end and sweaty all the while. I'd do it all over again. There's no way someone of her stature (125k+ followers on IG) is playing a 300 cap venue in Portland again, though.
20220408_222734.jpg20220408_221822.jpg20220408_224457.jpg20220408_225223.jpg

"FOMO" 🔥:

Got Three Dimensions Deep signed by concert's end after waiting around near the front of the stage after ~5min after encore's end. About 15 people also waited around to have a setlist/tour poster signed by Amber. Her merch table was disappointing; just hats with an uninteresting graphic. While waiting in the small line, I had a conversation with another concertgoer who spent near $100 on a resale ticket just because she had no idea Amber was coming to Portland until two months of the show date (well after it sold out).
When it came to my opportunity, Amber was elated to see the record jacket and had already asked for my name. She promptly signed, we gave each other a hug, and we wished each other safe travels. I wanted to get a photo with her, but considering one of the Doug Fir Lounge crew had announced curfew within 5min, and with at least eight other people waiting for an opportunity, I didn't want to possibly deny them due to time constraints. So thankful for her staying after even if just for a few minutes. ❤️ 🙏

20220409_021200.jpg

Three Dimensions Deep is still being underrated by y'all. Just saying.

EDIT: Deleted repeated words and changed a few sentences for clarity.

Last edited:
Well after chickening out back in February with a ticket in my cart I signed up for another chance for NIN tickets in Raleigh. Managed to get in and grab a couple at (still absurdly priced) face value.

It'll be my first show since 2018 and first time seeing NIN since 2013. Hurry up April 28th.

Back