Upcoming/Recent Shows

At least the folks over at the Ten Club forums can be trusted to handle the wait with the patience and chill vibes that they're so well known for.

Ha, yep. We all know that if anyone is going to break the news on a new album or tour, it's going to be via a loosely worded tweet from a small town radio station. Better dissect them all into 20 page threads.

Oh man, why do you think they are terrible? I've seen them a few times and always enjoyed their set.
I guess I should preface by saying I've never really liked their music. The bendy guitars and noisy dissonance is generally just unappealing to me, and his vocals are the final nail in the coffin. I can listen to a lot of similar noise rock, but something about their whole aesthetic, especially live, has always been a turn off.

But, I have an idea that it wasn't all my personal bias. There was a couple beside me, mid/early twenties, who were going NUTS before their set. They were so excited. By about 5 songs in, you could tell the disappointment was settling in and they reacted less and less and less. Then they didn't play Float On. Who do they think they are? Radiohead? 😂

Modest Mouse and they're still terrible
why do you think they are terrible?

I really like Modest Mouse, though the last two shows I've seen were not as good as the first one. One of them was in a theater and where I was in the balcony, the sound (from the theater) wasn't the greatest (and they did not play Float on, nor even an encore despite one very enthusiastic audience member screaming for them to play it). Also whenever Brock was talking, he just mumbled so much nobody could understand what he was saying. 🤷‍♂️ The last time, it was at a festival where it was a million degrees outside and I probably was on the verge of heat stroke so I would not have enjoyed anything at that point.

The first time I saw them was also at a festival and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

I really like Modest Mouse, though the last two shows I've seen were not as good as the first one. One of them was in a theater and where I was in the balcony, the sound (from the theater) wasn't the greatest (and they did not play Float on, nor even an encore despite one very enthusiastic audience member screaming for them to play it). Also whenever Brock was talking, he just mumbled so much nobody could understand what he was saying. 🤷‍♂️ The last time, it was at a festival where it was a million degrees outside and I probably was on the verge of heat stroke so I would not have enjoyed anything at that point.

The first time I saw them was also at a festival and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

He did the same mumbling last night too. So much so that afterward there was an audible murmur throughout the crowd where people were asking friends "what?" 😂

I guess I should preface by saying I've never really liked their music. The bendy guitars and noisy dissonance is generally just unappealing to me, and his vocals are the final nail in the coffin. I can listen to a lot of similar noise rock, but something about their whole aesthetic, especially live, has always been a turn off.

But, I have an idea that it wasn't all my personal bias. There was a couple beside me, mid/early twenties, who were going NUTS before their set. They were so excited. By about 5 songs in, you could tell the disappointment was settling in and they reacted less and less and less. Then they didn't play Float On. Who do they think they are? Radiohead? 😂

He did the same mumbling last night too. So much so that afterward there was an audible murmur throughout the crowd where people were asking friends "what?" 😂

I read a review of the last few shows MM has done. And it sounds like they are "off" because they haven't been touring or even recording together in awhile.

They are not my favorite nor am I hugely familiar with all of their albums. I've just seen them a few times. I guess you have to catch Isaac on a good day. He's so cantankerous.

I have seen the Black Keys 2x. Once, they opened for Blonde Redhead who opened for Sleater Kinney. I don't really remember much about their set that time. But then I saw them in San Diego at some random festival about 7ish years ago and they absolutely killed it. I'm only a casual fan but I was impressed.

Mercury Rev & Beth Orton performing Bobbie Gentry's The Delta Sweet last night at the Soda Bar in San Diego. Maybe 50 people here, got moved to smaller club at the last minute. Playing a super short tour in support of this album. Loved Beth's delivery, deliberate yet intimate.

Erika Wennestrom was opening, but got there too late for her set. Would have loved to have seen her again, it's been way too long.

IMG_0074.JPG

Saw Nilufer Yanya last night in SF. She absolutely killed it. Her performance on NPR and late night shows seemed kind of awkward but at the real deal she was amazing!
I saw her open for Sharon Van Etten earlier in the year and she was so good live. Bummed that this show was the same night as Vampire Weekend! Did she get a good turnout?

I saw her open for Sharon Van Etten earlier in the year and she was so good live. Bummed that this show was the same night as Vampire Weekend! Did she get a good turnout?

Yep I don't think it was sold out but it was pretty solid, she seemed surprised anyone was there. Jazzi Bobbi and Hanna Vu had what felt like great opening sets but then Nilufer came out and kinda blew them out of the water.

Saw Makaya McCraven last night in Delaware. Absolutely unbelievable. Yup, that's Joel Ross on vibraphone and Jeff Parker of Tortoise on guitar (sorry, I forgot the bass player's name).

Each musician was amazing, and the synergy was incredible, but Joel Ross, holy shit, he's in a different universe than us.

McCraven.JPG

Back