U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

No it's not that bad. I'm just going all in on a full refresh/upgrade of my listening area. I think I've got everything planned out:
  • Creating a shelf to finally get my turntable off the same surface as a speaker and shorten the distance between TT and amplifier
  • New speaker wire run and speaker placement to create that optimal listening triangle
  • New RCA cables (Blue Jeans LC-1)
  • New stylus. Have the OM5E. Going to go up to either the OM10 or the OM20
  • Isolation equipment (Bumpers from Hudson Hifi, MAYBE splurging for the IsoAcoustics Mini Pucks for my KEF Q150s)
Everyone on here has been super helpful. I think that this is going to be a huge improvement on a budget.
Having a plan is always a good thing, I'm going to interject a cartridge I'm just about done burning in and was going to start putting together some opinions. Very, VERY impressed with the Goldring E3 if your looking for a really well balanced and detailed "budget" cart.

Not sure of your budget, but this runs $170
Goldring-E3_B.jpg

No it's not that bad. I'm just going all in on a full refresh/upgrade of my listening area. I think I've got everything planned out:
  • Creating a shelf to finally get my turntable off the same surface as a speaker and shorten the distance between TT and amplifier
  • New speaker wire run and speaker placement to create that optimal listening triangle
  • Isolation equipment (Bumpers from Hudson Hifi, MAYBE splurging for the IsoAcoustics Mini Pucks for my KEF Q150s)
Everyone on here has been super helpful. I think that this is going to be a huge improvement on a budget.
Actually, I have an even better offer for you. If you'd like, I have an Ortofon 2M Red body that I got from @Joe Mac to try out the Ortofon carts, in that time Ortofon sent me a 2M Blue so I have no real need for the 2M Red body.

So if you like, I'll be more than happy to "Pay it forward" to you and all you need is a new replacement stylus that will run you just about what the OM10 costs ($87), but I can tell you this would be a definite move up the ladder.

Let me know ;)

Actually, I have an even better offer for you. If you'd like, I have an Ortofon 2M Red body that I got from @Joe Mac to try out the Ortofon carts, in that time Ortofon sent me a 2M Blue so I have no real need for the 2M Red body.

So if you like, I'll be more than happy to "Pay it forward" to you and all you need is a new replacement stylus that will run you just about what the OM10 costs ($87), but I can tell you this would be a definite move up the ladder.

Let me know ;)

Is it though? From what I understand the 2M line is the precursor to the OM but I don’t know, from what I’ve read, that it’s as cut and dried as one being noticeably better than the other, in fact I’ve heard plenty of people preferring the OM, particularly 30 and 40 over bronze and black. Red is roughly equivalent to a 10 but I don’t think either is really any good until 20/blue. I suppose it’s free so there’s nothing to lose but I’d personally go for whichever stylus is cheaper out of 20/blue.

Is it though? From what I understand the 2M line is the precursor to the OM but I don’t know, from what I’ve read, that it’s as cut and dried as one being noticeably better than the other, in fact I’ve heard plenty of people preferring the OM, particularly 30 and 40 over bronze and black. Red is roughly equivalent to a 10 but I don’t think either is really any good until 20/blue. I suppose it’s free so there’s nothing to lose but I’d personally go for whichever stylus is cheaper out of 20/blue.
Well, opinions, opinions, right?

It was an offer against the OM10, moving up the line on either the OM or 2M is a different discussion all together. But regardless of if you consider them equal, one better than the other or whatever, its just my opinion based on my knowledge of them and most importantly an offer to help out a fellow member ;)

Carts are always going to be this way, one person will like ABC and someone else won't, it's the nature of the beast. ;)

Last edited:

Let me know ;)
That's very generous of you, and I may just take you up on the offer. (Let me think it over) However, I think the biggest draw for me having never upgraded a cartridge or stylus before in going from the OM5E to either the OM10 or the OM20 was the fact that I wouldn't have to remove the cartridge. I would just be able to delicately pop the old stylus off and put the new one on, potentially never having to adjust the cartridge or head stock.

Try the washing machine isolators instead of the Bumpers. They are a great cheap tweak.

On a U Turn, the OM series is a better match. I think the reason they changed the arm to make it compatible with the 2M series due to customer demand. The customer isn’t always right.

On a U Turn, the OM series is a better match. I think the reason they changed the arm to make it compatible with the 2M series due to customer demand. The customer isn’t always right.
I was under that same impression just based on the weight and build of the tonearm, so I'm glad you confirmed it.

Anyone know of or have any U Turn coupons? My receiver got zapped by lightning so I am thinking about buying a uturn with a built in preamp.

I don't know of any, but don't do the built in. It limits your future options and the built-in isn't a great preamp.
I'm with @HiFi Guy , that $100 could go to a better option.
Don’t get the Pluto. It doesn’t sound great....
Thanks for all the recommendations. I have an ATLP 60 so I don't know much about turntables. Is the Acrylic Platter worth the extra 75? From what I have read so far the Ortofon Red seems to be the recommended cartridge. Thoughts.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have an ATLP 60 so I don't know much about turntables. Is the Acrylic Platter worth the extra 75? From what I have read so far the Ortofon Red seems to be the recommended cartridge. Thoughts.
I like my acrylic platter. No experience with Ortofon but Grados sound great on the U-Turn.

The acrylic platter is worth the extra, especially if you pick up an acrylic mat to go with it rather than a stock one. Hudson Hi-Fi do nice clear ones that goes with the aesthetic for about $20 last time I looked. Acrylic provides better coupling and tighter bass and if you get the acrylic mat too it’s less static and less dust contamination/retention over standard felt because it’s always visible and is really easy to clean.

The 2M red would actually be my absolute least favourite cartridge that I’ve had so personally I’d say avoid like the plague! Looking at their line up I’d probably pick the grado Black myself but the 2M blue is also a good performer.

Do you need a preamp or is there one built in to the amplifier/powered speakers that you are planning to use with it? If there is you can just use it and forget about one on the table. If there isn’t and you do need one I’d avoid a built in at all costs in favour of an outboard but equally what you would want to be spending on one is important.

Edit: This is the Hudson mat I was talking about. They are out of stock on everything right now but it’s probably no harm to shoot them an email if it’s of interest.

Last edited:
The acrylic platter is worth the extra, especially if you pick up an acrylic mat to go with it rather than a stock one. Hudson Hi-Fi do nice clear ones that goes with the aesthetic for about $20 last time I looked. Acrylic provides better coupling and tighter bass and if you get the acrylic mat too it’s less static and less dust contamination/retention over standard felt because it’s always visible and is really easy to clean.

The 2M red would actually be my absolute least favourite cartridge that I’ve had so personally I’d say avoid like the plague! Looking at their line up I’d probably pick the grado Black myself but the 2M blue is also a good performer.

Do you need a preamp or is there one built in to the amplifier/powered speakers that you are planning to use with it? If there is you can just use it and forget about one on the table. If there isn’t and you do need one I’d avoid a built in at all costs in favour of an outboard but equally what you would want to be spending on one is important.

I didn't have a preamp, just a cheap receiver and that is what got hit by lightning the other day. Turntable seems to be ok but I have no way of checking it right now.

Back