U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

I didn't have a preamp, just a cheap receiver and that is what got hit by lightning the other day. Turntable seems to be ok but I have no way of checking it right now.

Fair enough. Will you be replacing that with a new amplifier? If so one with a phono preamp built in, most do, would be a better idea than one built onto a table. Still allows for upgrading to a stand alone down the line if you’re ever hit by the upgrade bug. Alternatively, if not, I’d probably go where @AnthonyI suggested myself.

The acrylic platter is worth the extra, especially if you pick up an acrylic mat to go with it rather than a stock one. Hudson Hi-Fi do nice clear ones that goes with the aesthetic for about $20 last time I looked. Acrylic provides better coupling and tighter bass and if you get the acrylic mat too it’s less static and less dust contamination/retention over standard felt because it’s always visible and is really easy to clean.

The 2M red would actually be my absolute least favourite cartridge that I’ve had so personally I’d say avoid like the plague! Looking at their line up I’d probably pick the grado Black myself but the 2M blue is also a good performer.

Do you need a preamp or is there one built in to the amplifier/powered speakers that you are planning to use with it? If there is you can just use it and forget about one on the table. If there isn’t and you do need one I’d avoid a built in at all costs in favour of an outboard but equally what you would want to be spending on one is important.

Edit: This is the Hudson mat I was talking about. They are out of stock on everything right now but it’s probably no harm to shoot them an email if it’s of interest.
I have that mat and it looks really nice with the acrylic platter.

I didn't have a preamp, just a cheap receiver and that is what got hit by lightning the other day. Turntable seems to be ok but I have no way of checking it right now.

Hit up the thrift shops or local Cl and try and find another good reciever, even then I would try the Mani or similiar and run it into the Aux input.

I'm not going to assume your budget, but a new Mani only runs $129, so $30 more than the Pluto would have cost you...........but, savings, is savings ;)
@Twentytwo I checked with Darlington Labs and they have the MM-3 in stock at $119. I’d buy that over the Schiit. It’s not on the site. Just email them.

You are looking for good info though, there’s lots of it here from many different users.
Absolutely. I'm mostly kidding. I've learned a ton just by lurking on the different equipment threads. You all are an incredible resource, and gracefully without the pretension and snark that seems to exist everywhere these days.

Unfortunately, I've got a kind of permanent state of wanderlust, so I know that no matter how happy I am with my setup, I'll always be wondering what else is out there and how it could be improved!

Hey @Twentytwo i run a Pluto and I can tell you that my daughter’s lp60 with upgraded stylus through this amp’s phono line sounds as good as my uturn with an om5e did and that was a substantial upgrade at the time I replaced my lp60.

I'm about to just throw in the towel and get a whole new TT. I've replaced the motor twice. Still getting loud motor noise even with the platter completely removed. I also just noticed that I've got a slight wobble on the acrylic platter. I emailed U-Turn CS, but at this point - I may be better off just evaluating replacements. Got my eye on the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO.

I'm about to just throw in the towel and get a whole new TT. I've replaced the motor twice. Still getting loud motor noise even with the platter completely removed. I also just noticed that I've got a slight wobble on the acrylic platter. I emailed U-Turn CS, but at this point - I may be better off just evaluating replacements. Got my eye on the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO.
I'm a big U-Turn fan, but I would be looking for another solution at this point as well. It's not a vintage or high end TT and I would only do so much to remedy the problem before moving on, just my opinion of course.

I think with things like this, again at this price point, any little thing here on out will add to your aggravation and that's no fun either.

I'm a big U-Turn fan, but I would be looking for another solution at this point as well. It's not a vintage or high end TT and I would only do so much to remedy the problem before moving on, just my opinion of course.

I think with things like this, again at this price point, any little thing here on out will add to your aggravation and that's no fun either.
So at this point, I'm working with:

• U-Turn Orbit Plus w/ built-in preamp
  • Onkyo A-9010 Integrated Amplifier
  • KEF Q150 Bookshelf Pair
The Onkyo A-9010 technically has a phono preamp, but I assume that's not ideal. So I'm looking at getting a new turntable in the $400-$600 price range and a preamp.

So that basically leads me to either the Fluance RT85 or the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO. Both would require separate phono preamps.

Anyone with recommendations? Perhaps this is the wrong thread.

The Onkyo A-9010 technically has a phono preamp, but I assume that's not ideal. So I'm looking at getting a new turntable in the $400-$600 price range and a preamp.

So that basically leads me to either the Fluance RT85 or the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO. Both would require separate phono preamps.

I have no first hand experience but I always thought the RT85 looked really nice. There is a recommendation thread where you might get more input.

You can move post your question over in the Recommendation forum for a some more suggestions and discussion of course, but is that $400-600 just for the TT? An external Pre would be nice, but I don't know how much you're looking to spend.

We can carry this on if you move the question ;)

Back