U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

uturn just announced a new version of the orbit.... for about the same price as before you get a new tonearm, and optional ability to electronically change record speed or have their iso-feet
I got the same email so I went to the page to check it out but I didn't see how to add the options for electronic speed control or iso feet.

I got the same email so I went to the page to check it out but I didn't see how to add the options for electronic speed control or iso feet.
thats weird because i checked the uturn orbit custom and it had the iso feet and the electronic speed control as options

It only included in standard configuration with the orbit special model. You have to choose the orbit custom if you want to add it with a lower table spec. We were talking about these in another thread yesterday lol.

Tonearm is upgraded across the board. Special comes with speed control standard. I’m unsure about feet. You can already upgrade the feet if you have an older model.

Also of note even without speed control the gen 2 should be easier to change speeds due to the grooved platter.

Theory owner, and have the opportunity to swap/trade to MoFi Ultradeck w/ Master Tracker cart.

My theory has a Grado Gold cart.

Would you make the move? Why/why not?
Not sure it's an apples to apples comparison, but I had a StudioDeck and made the side-step over to the Theory and haven't looked back.

Main reasons were little things with aesthetics, customer support, familiarity (since I had an original Orbit too). My StudioDeck also had a bit of a motor hum and a squeaky belt that I just couldn't look past and was becoming distracting from my listening experience.

Considering I can now put just about any cart I want on the Theory and my supporting equipment can now handle them, I really don't feel the need to chase the multiple-thousand dollar tables.

Theory owner, and have the opportunity to swap/trade to MoFi Ultradeck w/ Master Tracker cart.

My theory has a Grado Gold cart.

Would you make the move? Why/why not?
I’m not sure I would. Pretty much everything @folsom_lives said. If I were in the market for a table at that price point, I’m pretty sure I would go theory.

I’m pretty sure after I upgrade the rest of my system, I’m just gonna go VPI but that’s a long ways off.

Not sure it's an apples to apples comparison, but I had a StudioDeck and made the side-step over to the Theory and haven't looked back.

Main reasons were little things with aesthetics, customer support, familiarity (since I had an original Orbit too). My StudioDeck also had a bit of a motor hum and a squeaky belt that I just couldn't look past and was becoming distracting from my listening experience.

Considering I can now put just about any cart I want on the Theory and my supporting equipment can now handle them, I really don't feel the need to chase the multiple-thousand dollar tables.
I get that. Have definitely focused more on cart upgrades of late, but an UD opportunity passed my way and was/is creating deliberation.

Was looking into a Soundsmith Zephyr upgrade, but I'm told the Theory arm may be too light for one. May need to consider Carmen or Aida if I hold onto the Theory.

I get that. Have definitely focused more on cart upgrades of late, but an UD opportunity passed my way and was/is creating deliberation.

Was looking into a Soundsmith Zephyr upgrade, but I'm told the Theory arm may be too light for one. May need to consider Carmen or Aida if I hold onto the Theory.
Yep. I saw that in the other thread as well.

I'm really just at a point of stasis where I don't think my budget or my ears can really handle chasing the next big improvement.\

Best of luck in whatever decision you make.

I’m not sure I would. Pretty much everything @folsom_lives said. If I were in the market for a table at that price point, I’m pretty sure I would go theory.

I’m pretty sure after I upgrade the rest of my system, I’m just gonna go VPI but that’s a long ways off.
Considered VPI but haven't YET been able to justify the 2k jump for the table(s). It's not out of contention, just feeling as if investing that amount into cart(s) might be the better play.

Yep. I saw that in the other thread as well.

I'm really just at a point of stasis where I don't think my budget or my ears can really handle chasing the next big improvement.\

Best of luck in whatever decision you make.
Yeah, it's difficult to "settle" so I seem to labor over different upgrade paths at least a few times per quarter. Cheers!

Yeah, it's difficult to "settle" so I seem to labor over different upgrade paths at least a few times per quarter. Cheers!
I’ve decided not to do any more mid upgrades. I have in mind what my end game system looks like and I’m just gonna swap out to those as I go and give myself a year or so to enjoy each step.

I’ve decided not to do any more mid upgrades. I have in mind what my end game system looks like and I’m just gonna swap out to those as I go and give myself a year or so to enjoy each step.
That sounds like a great plan. My issue is I don't have a quiet mind, so it's constantly churning in terms of what's my best path to great sound and a reasonable "legacy" kit.

I've owned a lot of the HiFi heavy hitters over the years but that's mostly digital audio. In terms of analog, my transition has been Pioneer DD, Pro-Ject, Rega, U-Turn... and here we are.

Cart wise I've only ever had Ortofon and Grado.

That sounds like a great plan. My issue is I don't have a quiet mind, so it's constantly churning in terms of what's my best path to great sound and a reasonable "legacy" kit.

I've owned a lot of the HiFi heavy hitters over the years but that's mostly digital audio. In terms of analog, my transition has been Pioneer DD, Pro-Ject, Rega, U-Turn... and here we are.

Cart wise I've only ever had Ortofon and Grado.
What phono preamp are you working with? Definitely another avenue for an unquiet mind to explore. ;)

Back