Toronto Weird Boys

A couple Canadian stores I've ordered from via Discogs (only once each, but each of those transactions were perfect):

FrequencesDisquaires (St-Hyacynthe, QC)
BarnacleRecords (Kamloops, BC)
Record-Groove (BC?) - only takes direct transfer but I got some great AP's from them
KopsRecords (Toronto)

I have done Discogs with 3 of the 4 Turbo mentioned above. Record-Groove always seems a bit pricy for my taste. Because of being in Ontario both Kops and Frequences have been supper fast (bought on a Sunday, records delivered Wednesday), Barnacle has been the slowest but has decent amount of mid-range audiophile titles (I grabbed quite a few of their Rhino reissues)

Just saw this. Will try to go down in the next couple days to confirm. Fuck. I bought a lot of records and CDs there over the years, not to mention all my concert tickets.

Damn! I used to live around the corner from Soundscapes, I loved that place! The wife and I would always pop in when we were out and about on College Street, they always had really great funk and soul reissues! Soundscapes and June Records (RIP) were my go to stores back when I lived in Toronto!

Damn! I used to live around the corner from Soundscapes, I loved that place! The wife and I would always pop in when we were out and about on College Street, they always had really great funk and soul reissues! Soundscapes and June Records (RIP) were my go to stores back when I lived in Toronto!
Same. When I first moved to Toronto in 2009 I lived at Bloor and Euclid so it was just down the street.

A few thoughts on Canadian Discogs sellers.

Just did a Discogs order from Audiopile in Vancouver. A favourite bricks and mortar store of mine. I have been trying to spread my orders out across a few Canadian stores to try them out. Everything has been new store stock. I have also ordered directly from a few stores but have been finding it easier to just order through Discogs lately.

So far I have ordered since Dec 2020 from:
  • Redcat (Vancouver)
  • Barnacle (Kamloops BC, my teenage hometown)
  • Audiopile (Vancouver - order in process)
  • Kops (Toronto)
  • Tonality (Toronto)
  • Frequences Disquaire (Montreal?)
  • Shortstack (Toronto)
I found Redcat and Barnacle to be the slowest (but greater distance) but I blame that on ChitChat I think. Took almost a week to get processed locally before handed off to Canada Post.

For Ontario and Quebec, all the Toronto shops and Frequences were both really fast, which makes sense. I think all the orders were less than a week to get to me. All sellers have done a great job in packaging.

Redcat, Barnacle, Kops and Tonality all charged sales tax separately. Audiopile (prices in USD), Frequences and Shortstack did not charge sales tax. Not sure if they build it into their prices or what, but something to keep in mind

Shortstack seems weird as they only list a small amount of titles. Never been in the real store before. I ordered a couple of titles before Xmas that were new but super cheap, so not sure what is going on there. But there were no problems with the order.

Just did a Discogs order from Audiopile in Vancouver. A favourite bricks and mortar store of mine. I have been trying to spread my orders out across a few Canadian stores to try them out. Everything has been new store stock. I have also ordered directly from a few stores but have been finding it easier to just order through Discogs lately.

• Redcat (Vancouver)
  • Kops (Toronto)
  • Tonality (Toronto)
  • Shortstack (Toronto)
I found Redcat and Barnacle to be the slowest (but greater distance) but I blame that on ChitChat I think. Took almost a week to get processed locally before handed off to Canada Post.

For Ontario and Quebec, all the Toronto shops and Frequences were both really fast, which makes sense. I think all the orders were less than a week to get to me. All sellers have done a great job in packaging.

Redcat, Barnacle, Kops and Tonality all charged sales tax separately. Audiopile (prices in USD), Frequences and Shortstack did not charge sales tax. Not sure if they build it into their prices or what, but something to keep in mind

Shortstack seems weird as they only list a small amount of titles. Never been in the real store before. I ordered a couple of titles before Xmas that were new but super cheap, so not sure what is going on there. But there were no problems with the order.
Also add Encore Records to this. They're in Kitchener I think? They were very quick and had decent prices. Responsive over email as well.

FYI

Waited about 1hr45 to get in. If you're thinking of dropping by, don't go on a weekend, lol. They think it'll be a lot better during the week and they said the tweet that seemed to spread the word to everyone yesterday was worded such that it sounded their closing was imminent. They should be here for another month at least, and they have a tonne of stuff still in the basement to put out.

PXL_20210403_193242776.jpg

• Redcat (Vancouver)
  • Kops (Toronto)
  • Tonality (Toronto)
  • Shortstack (Toronto)

Frequences Disquaire is in St-Hyacynthe, QC. (That's about 30-45 minutes past Montreal along highway 20, on the way to Quebec City).

Thanks for the list! I personally ordered from Redcat, Barnacle, Kops and Frequences Disquaires from that list and all were great. I think you're right about the Chit Chats thing slowing down orders from out west. Same thing happens when I order from Sonic Boom too.

Another Canadian store I used via Discogs is 3dawgsvinyl out of Vancouver. The record arrived in good order but I remember that one taking a while (I think it was in november-december though, when everything was slower).

Last edited:
You cool dudes see this?

You cool dudes see this?

That's pretty sweet, price actually isn't bad!

Back