Toronto Weird Boys

Oh, if you are for whatever reason looking for Invisible City it's pretty hard to find. Basically on the West side of Spadina there's a mall, and there's a courtyard like plaza with stairs going down. You have to take the stairs and it's tucked away down there.

There's also a record store last I checked was coming soon directly across from it called "Better Record Store" or something like that which is a hilarious bit of shade. Not sure if they're going to be open yet, but I'm curious as to whether it's actually 'better'.

If you hit up Spadina as well you could probably do the following in a 1-2km radius:

Cosmos (used with a lot of Japanese imports and hip hop singles)
Sonic Boom (huge selection and great used section, not so great prices)
Dead Dog (haven't been to that particular location but good middle of the pack store at their other location)
Kops (good prices and selection)
Invisible City (I can't get a real read on this one)
Play De Record (good hip hop and electronic section, plus it was in a documentary).
This almost makes me want to visit Toronto.

Hey quick question. What stores are reliable for grading? I saw Kops was mentioned as unreliable. I think we’ll go Monday and hit Kops, Cosmos, Sonic and Play De as part of the visit. Dead Dog is closed on Mondays I think.

Cosmos West, the all jazz store is pretty famous online, I've never bought anything there but I'd imagine they're pretty good. Not sure about Cosmos East.

Right. I tried the Jazz one last year but it was closed the day we went ( a Sunday). I’ll check again as I imagine I’ll go by it if we walk all the way to Silver Snail.

I almost bought a REM Document canadian og from the other Cosmos last year. It was marked as NM but I could see a hairline through the last track so I passed.

Just had lunch at this tiny place called BAO on Bathurst just south of Queen. If dim sum dumplings are your thing, this place was absolutely wonderful. We shared a pork belly bao, shu mai and shrimp dumplings.

IMG_0359.jpeg

Walked back through graffiti alley. That was pretty interesting. Also already bought too many records and haven’t hit Sonic or the other shops on Spadina yet.

Just had lunch at this tiny place called BAO on Bathurst just south of Queen. If dim sum dumplings are your thing, this place was absolutely wonderful. We shared a pork belly bao, shu mai and shrimp dumplings.

View attachment 180493

Walked back through graffiti alley. That was pretty interesting. Also already bought too many records and haven’t hit Sonic or the other shops on Spadina yet.
That looks like Mean BAO, which is pretty good.
I'm particular to Bahn Mi Boys on Queen just west of Spadina. They don't offer any dumplings, but their Pork Belly, Fried Chicken and Tofu Baos are super tasty. Always enjoy their Kimchi fries, Squid Tacos and Pork Belly Bahn Mi too.

Ugh, can I pick none?
I've bought a ton of used from Sonic Boom, and while they're a bit pricey it's super rare that I come away thinking that the grading is off. I do not enjoy however going through their used section on the upper level with other people crowding you and slowly going into your personal space.

On a related topic I'm noticing a TON of VMP records coming through used sections lately, at Rotate, Sonic Boom and Kops, and I know it ain't me selling them all around the city. Which one of you is it?

I'm particular to Bahn Mi Boys on Queen just west of Spadina. They don't offer any dumplings, but their Pork Belly, Fried Chicken and Tofu Baos are super tasty. Always enjoy their Kimchi fries, Squid Tacos and Pork Belly Bahn Mi too.
those kimchi fries are amazing when you have had a few pops while day drinking

Also, if you just want straight up Chinese food I forgot how awesome Swatow is. So good I've returned twice in the past month or so despite only doing Chinese food once every couple of years.

I've bought a ton of used from Sonic Boom, and while they're a bit pricey it's super rare that I come away thinking that the grading is off. I do not enjoy however going through their used section on the upper level with other people crowding you and slowly going into your personal space.

On a related topic I'm noticing a TON of VMP records coming through used sections lately, at Rotate, Sonic Boom and Kops, and I know it ain't me selling them all around the city. Which one of you is it?
I haven't sold anything in years, which is a problem.

Next time!

Also, if you just want straight up Chinese food I forgot how awesome Swatow is. So good I've returned twice in the past month or so despite only doing Chinese food once every couple of years.

We’re big fans of any asian (japanese, chinese, taiwanese, korean and vietnamese mainly) in our family - we typically gravitate towards that type of cuisine when we’re out of town since Gatineau is meh and while Ottawa has some good spots (the ramen, pho, langzhou style hand pulled noodle soups, chinese and korean are all ok - we have our usual haunts now), the variety is not quite there.

Back