Toronto Weird Boys

If anyone is interested in Jar of Flies and is way less impulsive than me, then you'll be rewarded by paying less than half the price from the official site, and support a Toronto music store.

New pressing I guess coming down the pipe from the looks of it.

New pressing I guess coming down the pipe from the looks of it.
Yesterday the official AIC site (in case you missed it), dropped the 30th anniversary editions. There was black, tri colored, a $140CAD version limited to 150 pressed with ACTUAL dead flies, and a $300+ box set with a bunch of semi-useless frills.
I bought the tri colored because I'm impatient and this one's kind of a must have for me. I paid double this and I completely saw it coming.

Sometimes you buy used records locally, and you wonder how the condition was rated so high....I feel like I rarely get this at Sonic Boom and that's definitely one of the good things I can say about that place.

I managed to snag Stan Getz and Oliver Nelson Accoustic Sounds this weekend rated VG+, when they are flawless. Vinyl, jacket, everything. About as "Mint" as you could get without them being sealed, and priced at VG+ prices. It was almost as if they were busy and didn't want to fully inspect them, and just slapped the sticker on and called it a day. I don't think I've ever scored like this in a used section.

Sometimes you buy used records locally, and you wonder how the condition was rated so high....I feel like I rarely get this at Sonic Boom and that's definitely one of the good things I can say about that place.

I managed to snag Stan Getz and Oliver Nelson Accoustic Sounds this weekend rated VG+, when they are flawless. Vinyl, jacket, everything. About as "Mint" as you could get without them being sealed, and priced at VG+ prices. It was almost as if they were busy and didn't want to fully inspect them, and just slapped the sticker on and called it a day. I don't think I've ever scored like this in a used section.
I was actually going to say, I sold like 30 things and I'd say at least half to two thirds were NM and they rated everything VG+. I think they just visually grade so they take the cautious route. So on one hand buyer beware but on the other yeah you can definitely get NM stuff there that's rated lower.

I was actually going to say, I sold like 30 things and I'd say at least half to two thirds were NM and they rated everything VG+. I think they just visually grade so they take the cautious route. So on one hand buyer beware but on the other yeah you can definitely get NM stuff there that's rated lower.
You the one dumping everything VMP there? Every time I go it's a goldmine of VMP pressings.

Also, does anyone know if the new record store next to Invisible City is open yet? If so anyone checked it out? Tried to go over the weekend but it was shuttered. Think it was called like "Better Record Store" or something like that which seems like a stab at Invisible City.

There were several 2023 ROTM titles and a few 2023 exclusives when I was there
I wonder how much they're getting for those? Like, are they getting an add on track and SB is paying them more than the add on price? If so, I can't see it being much more, and not worth that effort.

I wonder how much they're getting for those? Like, are they getting an add on track and SB is paying them more than the add on price? If so, I can't see it being much more, and not worth that effort.
SB is basically paying cogs median on everything. So I guess it would depend. But on new titles it would generally be less than the add on price.

I guess if you're looking at something like Sabbath and you got it as an add on, it may be worth it then.
Yeah I mean I think we all know that buying a used VMP pressing from a store is a fools errand because lord only knows how many different things could be wrong with it. Although SB has a pretty sweet 30 day satisfaction deal with their used stuff so you're pretty safe there in particular which is nice.

We get the odd sealed VMP record at my local and they typically retail for $89+ so whoever is selling them is likely getting  close to whay they paid if it was an add-on — especially if they're dropping them for trade rather than cash. I definitely eyed up a copy of Gravediggaz a few times but just couldnt bring myself to drop a hundo on it.

We get the odd sealed VMP record at my local and they typically retail for $89+ so whoever is selling them is likely getting  close to whay they paid if it was an add-on — especially if they're dropping them for trade rather than cash. I definitely eyed up a copy of Gravediggaz a few times but just couldnt bring myself to drop a hundo on it.
There was a wider release of that one a little while back, may be worth checking the reviews on it.

Yeah I mean I think we all know that buying a used VMP pressing from a store is a fools errand because lord only knows how many different things could be wrong with it. Although SB has a pretty sweet 30 day satisfaction deal with their used stuff so you're pretty safe there in particular which is nice.
Oh man, speaking of, I dropped $175 on that copy of The Predator at Kops and when I asked to check the disc, the woman just stared at me blankly like "why would he ask that?", and then another blank stare when I asked if I get it home and aren't satisfied with the quality, what are my options. They've totally hired a band of space cadets, I won't even get into the weird shit when I ordered The Smile's latest as a "preorder" (it involved a ten minute conversation from them to their Oshawa store).

Btw, the answer is they'll give you a gift card. Good to know though that SB has at least a written policy.

Oh man, speaking of, I dropped $175 on that copy of The Predator at Kops and when I asked to check the disc, the woman just stared at me blankly like "why would he ask that?", and then another blank stare when I asked if I get it home and aren't satisfied with the quality, what are my options. They've totally hired a band of space cadets, I won't even get into the weird shit when I ordered The Smile's latest as a "preorder" (it involved a ten minute conversation from them to their Oshawa store).

Btw, the answer is they'll give you a gift card. Good to know though that SB has at least a written policy.
Yeah Kops are not good with that stuff.

Back