Toronto Weird Boys

Anyone interested in some record shopping/lunch/afternoon beer on Saturday?

My plan is to hit Rotate This a little after 11 for a bit. Grab some lunch along Dundas and then hit Sonic Boom and/or Kops on Queen on my way back to Union.

I'm thinking of heading back into Toronto for a day trip while I'm up at the in-laws in a couple weeks. My daughter enjoyed our day last year so she wants to do it again. Will probably hit all those stores again and wing the day around that. My daughter would probably like it if I found a manga store, which I believe there is one near chinatown. Anyway, we'd be going one of the 20-21-22 (sun-mon-tues), depending on the weather and what makes sense in terms of what's open and stuff. Throwing that out there in case anyone is available. Also, open to tips and suggestions, as always.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of heading back into Toronto for a day trip while I'm up at the in-laws in a couple weeks. My daughter enjoyed our day last year so she wants to do it again. Will probably hit all those stores again and wing the day around that. My daughter would probably like it if I found a manga store, which I believe there is one near chinatown. Anyway, we'd be going one of the 20-21-22 (sun-mon-tues), depending on the weather and what makes sense in terms of what's open and stuff. Throwing that out there in case anyone is available. Also, open to tips and suggestions, as always.
Sadly won't be able to get down for this

I assume you mean this one?

You could also check out Silver Snail on Queen Street West which is a Toronto landmark. They're more of an all around comic store, but they do have Manga I believe (I'm not a manga fan, don't quote me).

Where is it now? It moved to Yonge a while back.

Maybe I should Google it, why the fuck am I asking a board.

I assume you mean this one?

You could also check out Silver Snail on Queen Street West which is a Toronto landmark. They're more of an all around comic store, but they do have Manga I believe (I'm not a manga fan, don't quote me).

Sounds good... thinking of walking a big length of Queen street to hit the various record stores on there, so it would be along the loose plan I have.

EDIT: and yes, that's the manga store I found when I googled the area (although looking again, it seems to be japanese toys, but that's interesting to her too).

Sounds good... thinking of walking a big length of Queen street to hit the various record stores on there, so it would be along the loose plan I have.

EDIT: and yes, that's the manga store I found when I googled the area (although looking again, it seems to be japanese toys, but that's interesting to her too).
But yes I'm also out of town during this time so unfortunately I cannot meet up for a drink.

As for discogs. I have had some decent success selling on discogs, but with the caveat that I've only sold what I KNOW will sell. My problem with this, is that you have to really figure out what your shipping costs are going to be, or else you're going potentially going to get screwed (I once misquoted shipping by like $10 which of course ate into my bottom line), and then you have to find a mailer, which is great if you have a few laying around, otherwise they're a bit tricky (if anyone has a great source of them aside from Amazon - which was something like $100+ in bulk - let me know).

This has been my experience with Discogs as well. Stuff in demand sells, but other more common records not so much. I set my shipping to Canada and US only and set it at $20.

If you hit up Spadina as well you could probably do the following in a 1-2km radius:

Cosmos (used with a lot of Japanese imports and hip hop singles)
Sonic Boom (huge selection and great used section, not so great prices)
Dead Dog (haven't been to that particular location but good middle of the pack store at their other location)
Kops (good prices and selection)
Invisible City (I can't get a real read on this one)
Play De Record (good hip hop and electronic section, plus it was in a documentary).

You/your daughter might also want to check out The Beguiling on College for comics/manga, though I know less than nothing about that stuff and you seem to have some good recs already.

Not sure I'll be around next weekend but will keep you posted if I can meet for a drink or something!

Ah, it's Queen West of Bathurst now. Just east of Trinity Bellwoods.
Yup, if you just walk on the south side of Queen blindfolded you'll easily find it when you trip over their accessibility ramp blocking half the sidewalk.

If you hit up Spadina as well you could probably do the following in a 1-2km radius:

Dead Dog (haven't been to that particular location but good middle of the pack store at their other location)
Play De Record (good hip hop and electronic section, plus it was in a documentary).
Bit out of the way but easily walkable is Rotate This. They are on Ossington north of Queen. Lots of restaurants around there as well

Cheers - I hit most of those spots last year and plan to again (except Invisible City and Play De Record). I should go to Play De Record this time around (especially after watching that neat documentary on it). There was also Resolute that I made it out to last year.

Bit out of the way but easily walkable is Rotate This. They are on Ossington north of Queen. Lots of restaurants around there as well

Yeah, I excluded it because it's just a little outside that range, but definitely worth a trip and there's some pretty great restaurants on Ossington (although slightly pricey).

I saw it - it's a bit out of the way so it'll depend on how much legs we have left. But this time I'll take a bus back down Spadina to Union from the Kensington area instead of walking it back like we did last year. That last bit was probably the biggest drain on our energies. How does it work getting a ticket for the bus out there? Do we just pay when walking on or do I have to use a machine or something ahead of time?

Cheers - I hit most of those spots last year and plan to again (except Invisible City and Play De Record). I should go to Play De Record this time around (especially after watching that neat documentary on it). There was also Resolute that I made it out to last year.
I did really enjoy Play De and meeting Eugene and his sister. Super nice people.

I saw it - it's a bit out of the way so it'll depend on how much legs we have left. But this time I'll take a bus back down Spadina to Union from the Kensington area instead of walking it back like we did last year. That last bit was probably the biggest drain on our energies. How does it work getting a ticket for the bus out there? Do we just pay when walking on or do I have to use a machine or something ahead of time?
So by the time you get here you should be able to just use tap on your debit/credit card for a fare.
Goes into effect August 15, but the TTC being the TTC take that with a grain of salt.

If you are starting out from Union, you can catch a Spadina streetcar back. There is a stop in front of Sonic Boom. Make sure the tram says Union as some short turn a few stops before.

Back