Toronto Weird Boys

Only been back to Rotate This a few times since 2020. I still like their used selection and prices are usually pretty good. But I have seen a few things that new were only $1-2 more than a used copy. Heading down to TO in a couple of weeks and hope to get over to RT.

Hey @BjorgenFjorgen where do you general look for cds at in TO?
I usually just go to BMV on Bloor. They seem to get new ones in fairly often. Other than that, sometimes Sonic Boom. Not sure if anyone else carries CDs anymore.

Well, one good bi-product of trying to stay away from new records due to price hikes is I spent a bit of time going through the used section at Kops yesterday and found this for $14.

I always find decent stuff in Kops' used bins
I do wish they were laid out a bit better. At least their used hip hop is in its own section, but it can be a bit daunting looking at the right side wall when you enter and then looking at how much time you have to go through it.

For some reason RT's section is a little bit more accessible for me, and I'm always coming away with something good.

Just got hit with duties for the first time on a record order… two records from Mondo in the US and being asked to pay another $23 CAD to CBSA. Feels excessive on an $80 shipment. I’ve never been hit before (say, with VMP). How often does it happen to you?

Just got hit with duties for the first time on a record order… two records from Mondo in the US and being asked to pay another $23 CAD to CBSA. Feels excessive on an $80 shipment. I’ve never been hit before (say, with VMP). How often does it happen to you?
If its being shipped via courier and it's over about $25 value you'll get hit almost every time. If its USPS generally you won't get hit unless it's a really high value. With VMP you're generally okay unless it's a box set.

Only time I ordered from Mondo, DHL hit me with a $15.75 charge. $0.75 for taxes owed and $15 service fee for collecting the $0.75.

I recently had a $21 order shipped from Italy by DHL and had to pay $22 extra ($2 in taxes and $19 in DHL fees). DHL are the worst

the only time I had to pay any duties for something handled by Canada Post was a couple of years ago and it was quite reasonable (about $10 for Kid A Mnesia box set from Waste). Canada Post are the best

Last edited:
If its being shipped via courier and it's over about $25 value you'll get hit almost every time. If its USPS generally you won't get hit unless it's a really high value. With VMP you're generally okay unless it's a box set.

what if order a lot of their stuff - but not a box set - using that 30% off code? any fellow Canadian here ever tried that?

what if order a lot of their stuff - but not a box set - using that 30% off code? any fellow Canadian here ever tried that?
In the past, no issues, but now it's a bit of a crap shoot I believe. Generally I think you're okay, I've ordered 3 albums recently and had no charges, and on value alone I should easily have paid about $20 in duty let alone brokerage fees. But it's definitely a bit of a risk since they changed how they declare shipments. And by changed I mean, actually started properly declaring things.

In the past, no issues, but now it's a bit of a crap shoot I believe. Generally I think you're okay, I've ordered 3 albums recently and had no charges, and on value alone I should easily have paid about $20 in duty let alone brokerage fees. But it's definitely a bit of a risk since they changed how they declare shipments. And by changed I mean, actually started properly declaring things.

yeah, I think I got about 5 or 6 records in one box from them as recently as 2 or 3 months ago, same thing. was thinking about combining some in stock items with a bunch of preorders, assuming it's allowed

I recently had a $21 order shipped from Italy by DHL and had to pay $22 extra ($2 in taxes and $19 in DHL fees). DHL are the worst

the only time I had to pay any duties for something handled by Canada Post was a couple of years ago and it was quite reasonable (about $10 for Kid A Mnesia box set from Waste). Canada Post are the best

Yeah I think my Canada Post duties maxed out at $16 on a $130 box set.

Now I’m worried about an HHV.de order I played lol. Coming by FedEx.

I’ve definitely had a 6-album VMP box in the last few months, and a couple of Guruguru Brain orders from Europe arrive without issue.

I'm coming to Toronto for 3 days during the last week of June and have never been there before! If anyone wants to dm me some recommendations of things to do or if you're around and want to meet up for a drink or a show, that would be amazing! There's not much on my itinerary other than the Art Gallery of Ontario, CN Tower, Casa Lima and just exploring St. Lawrence Mkt and the Distillery district.

My burning question for this thread is: Lord Huron looks to be playing Massey Hall on 6/27 with a listed show time of 8pm. My flight is scheduled to arrive that same night at 7pm at YYZ (and I'm not planning to check any luggage). Google maps is telling me that it's a 30 min drive or a 53 min train ride from the airport to my hotel, and my hotel is a 6 min drive or a 15 min walk to Massey Hall.

Assuming that my flight is on time - I know that's not a safe assumption but I'll cross my fingers - and assuming that Lord Huron is touring with an opening act, how insane would I be for thinking that I should buy a ticket and I'd probably be able to catch most of their set? Google is making it sound somewhat reasonable right now.

Is anyone else planning to be at that show?

*I could have sworn that they were scheduled to be at Massey Hall on the 25 and 26, and I was so bummed, and my excitement that they're now playing on the 27th may be clouding my judgment.

EDIT: I'm also interested in any bookstore recommendations if anyone has a favorite bookstore in the city. I feel like I can comb this thread for record store recommendations haha.

I'm coming to Toronto for 3 days during the last week of June and have never been there before! If anyone wants to dm me some recommendations of things to do or if you're around and want to meet up for a drink or a show, that would be amazing! There's not much on my itinerary other than the Art Gallery of Ontario, CN Tower, Casa Lima and just exploring St. Lawrence Mkt and the Distillery district.

My burning question for this thread is: Lord Huron looks to be playing Massey Hall on 6/27 with a listed show time of 8pm. My flight is scheduled to arrive that same night at 7pm at YYZ (and I'm not planning to check any luggage). Google maps is telling me that it's a 30 min drive or a 53 min train ride from the airport to my hotel, and my hotel is a 6 min drive or a 15 min walk to Massey Hall.

Assuming that my flight is on time - I know that's not a safe assumption but I'll cross my fingers - and assuming that Lord Huron is touring with an opening act, how insane would I be for thinking that I should buy a ticket and I'd probably be able to catch most of their set? Google is making it sound somewhat reasonable right now.

*I could have sworn that they were scheduled to be at Massey Hall on the 25 and 26, and I was so bummed, and my excitement that they're now playing on the 27th may be clouding my judgment.

EDIT: I'm also interested in any bookstore recommendations if anyone has a favorite bookstore in the city. I feel like I can comb this thread for record store recommendations haha.
St. Lawrence market is nothing to go out of your way for. Take a walk on Queen West from Spadina past Bathurst, maybe even Queen East or the Ossington area. Casa Loma is a castle. The most interesting things in Toronto tend to be a bit off the beaten tourist paths.

My guess is that there is no opening act and you would be very tight getting there for 8pm unless you went right from the airport to Massey. But since you are flying from the US you have to clear Canadian Customs at YYZ. This can be super quick or a total gong show, even if you have a Nexus Card.

Being that you are here end of June, I would also recommend The Beaches and Toronto Islands. Beaches can be reached by streetcar and Island are a very quick (2min) ferry ride.

My guess is that there is no opening act and you would be very tight getting there for 8pm unless you went right from the airport to Massey. But since you are flying from the US you have to clear Canadian Customs at YYZ. This can be super quick or a total gong show, even if you have a Nexus Card.

Being that you are here end of June, I would also recommend The Beaches and Toronto Islands. Beaches can be reached by streetcar and Island are a very quick (2min) ferry ride.

I enjoyed the walk through Kensington market you suggested to me last year. That was a pretty happening place.

All great suggestions, in terms of bookstores Ben McNally books is one of the best but it's recently moved east from it's original location and isn't the picturesque spot that it once was. In terms of sheer volume BMV on Bloor Street is pretty massive and has lots of everything, including a comics store up top and music in the basement.

Kensington definitely worth a stroll, Toronto islands are great, "The Beaches" in the east end are nice with good weather, High Park is pretty beautiful and quite large, great restaurants and shops on Ossington, Dundas West Junction has lots of great shops and restaurants and a pretty cool record/bookstore called "Pandemonium".

In terms of King Huron, unless he has an opener I wouldn't say you have a snowballs chance in hell of making it for 8 pm. Unless your flight lands like an hour early. It's an hour transit minimum to Massey and even by car with Toronto traffic it's likely 40 minutes minimum and that's if you pretty much deplane immediately, have no Customs line and hop in a car within like 5 minutes of landing on time which hahahaha have you SEEN Toronto Pearson airport? It's not good.

Back