Tool

One question I've wanted to be answered about Tool, is Maynard kind of a dick, or?

Depending on what you mean, yeah, pretty much. He does seem to have mellowed quite a bit with age and he has a family now.

He isn't a fan of how rabid and unrelenting his fan base is. He doesn't worry about hurting feelings, so he speaks his mind regardless of how what he says will be perceived. He is renowned for his hunger in the past for groupies (this is true for many, many rock stars).

If you're referring to the sexual misconduct allegations from last year, those were all but debunked: Suspicious Findings Suggest Anonymous Maynard James Keenan/Trent Reznor Rape Allegations May Be A Hoax | Theprp.com

Depending on what you mean, yeah, pretty much. He does seem to have mellowed quite a bit with age and he has a family now.

He isn't a fan of how rabid and unrelenting his fan base is. He doesn't worry about hurting feelings, so he speaks his mind regardless of how what he says will be perceived. He is renowned for his hunger in the past for groupies (this is true for many, many rock stars).

If you're referring to the sexual misconduct allegations from last year, those were all but debunked.
No, I knew the allegations were debunked. I asked more about his demeanor, and honestly I kind of think he has sort of a point with the fans being rabid. I don't know how I'd feel about it either if I were in his position, and I get the feeling that if I were, some days I may lash out at people like he does. But I don't know, it doesn't really excuse it either.

No, I knew the allegations were debunked. I asked more about his demeanor, and honestly I kind of think he has sort of a point with the fans being rabid. I don't know how I'd feel about it either if I were in his position, and I get the feeling that if I were, some days I may lash out at people like he does. But I don't know, it doesn't really excuse it either.

I agree - I don't think there is an excuse for him being a douche. He's also probably the smallest part of TOOL at this point (I'll probably get push back for this but w/e).

TOOL is primarily a project between Danny, Adam and Justin. They write all the music, and Maynard comes in at the last moment and records vocals over top of the finished music. Adam does all the artwork, etc. Maynard is off doing APC, Puscifer, his wine and restaurants, etc. He is a very busy, prolific guy and only spends the minimum required time with TOOL at this point. He has a nice voice and I dig his lyricism.

I have pretty much resigned myself to killing my idols, and I'm not a 16 year old Maynard fanboi anymore thank God. I can enjoy the art while separating what a purported jerk Maynard is rumored to be.

One question I've wanted to be answered about Tool, is Maynard kind of a dick, or?
The quick answer is yes, but I kind of think of it more as being a brooding artist. He says a lot of things off the cuff, and he wants to be left alone to some extent. So he tends to lash out at fans/media/etc that try to push him into the spotlight or obligate him to do certain things.

Not saying any of that is excusable for some of his behavior, but it just seems like he might have actually been more satisfied if he would have only been less famous and have the freedom to constantly change course and do as he pleases.

Last edited:
I agree - I don't think there is an excuse for him being a douche. He's also probably the smallest part of TOOL at this point (I'll probably get push back for this but w/e).

TOOL is primarily a project between Danny, Adam and Justin. They write all the music, and Maynard comes in at the last moment and records vocals over top of the finished music. Adam does all the artwork, etc. Maynard is off doing APC, Puscifer, his wine and restaurants, etc. He is a very busy, prolific guy and only spends the minimum required time with TOOL at this point. He has a nice voice and I dig his lyricism.

I have pretty much resigned myself to killing my idols, and I'm not a 16 year old Maynard fanboi anymore thank God. I can enjoy the art while separating what a purported jerk Maynard is rumored to be.
I totally agree with this. Maynard is the "face" of Tool to so many people, but it really is the other guys that make a bulk of the magic. I don't think it would be the same with another singer (obviously), but he really is just an instrument to the band.

Back