Tool

Are these the same versions that are being used by streaming services (likely compressed further for bandwidth)?
Of that, I am not sure. It wouldn't be outside of the norm to think that Spotify utilized the most recent digital masters for these releases though. I don't even think we could run the file through audacity to verify after they have already done their compressing for streaming.

Now if we can only get these newly remastered albums on wax...hoping by the middle of the month we’ll see something.

Also, 10,000 Days is a MUCH better album than I remember it. Been almost a decade since I’ve listened to it in its entirety (besides various selections). 🤦‍♂️

Now if we can only get these newly remastered albums on wax...hoping by the middle of the month we’ll see something.

Also, 10,000 Days is a MUCH better album than I remember it. Been almost a decade since I’ve listened to it in its entirety (besides various selections). 🤦‍♂️
I’ve always felt it was the least “tool” album. A few elements seem to dip more along the lines of APC. But still a very strong album overall.

I know nothing about Tool. There, I said it. Where do I start? Should I? Are they a sacred cow?
My personal favorite album is lateralus, but a lot of people rank Aenima above it.
My personal favorite tracks are schism and 46 and two. Sober ranks very highly for me as well. The Pot, Pushit, and There are a few others are very highly critical Acclaim. You could start with their top tracks playlist on Spotify. Seems like a logical starting point.

Last edited:

I thought the exact same thing. I remember being really disappointed when it came out, but I have no idea why now. I guess maybe just because it wasn’t Lateralus level?

i would use lateralus as a jumping off point

it's the less harsh end of their prog-metal, and probably their most 'approachable' album

aenima will always be my fave (and funnily enough, what's playing right now)

still rocks, despite what christgau would have you believe:

What am I supposed to say about the latest in meaning-mongering for the fantasy fiction set? That they are not as good as King Crimson? That I do not like my Billy Cobham comp even less? That this is not progress? That I am not a virgin? All of the above. Plus I never liked Crimson much to begin with. C

This describes me. I really liked Undertow a lot and they are amazing live, but never really followed them later. Looking forward to the chance to explore their discography.
I was lucky enough to see Tool open for Rollins Band at a small club in Tijuana called Iguana’s just before Opiate came out. I had never heard of them before and they blew the doors off the joint. So for me, Opiate and Undertow are the best of their output. I sort of lost interest with Aenima and have never heard Lateralus, and thought 10,000 Days was fine.

Ok so I've been a Tool fan for over 25 y ears. To me the album that is fav is Undertow. Then it's Ænima and Lateralus. But I really can't say that I'll listen to one over the other. I usually just hit shuffle and I'm set. But I'm sooo ready for Fear Inoculum!
Bring. It. On!

Back