Tool

For anyone thinking this is too long, go on a nice drive. This album is an experience!
Truly

Or workout to it. Upon first listen it felt like too many riffs were borrowed from other albums... but when working out... it felt utterly hypnotic. Like they decided to merge the jamminess of 10k with the hard licks of their early work.

Normally I watch an hour of tv on the eliptical no problem. But today, I was burned completely out after 45 minutes because Fear had me pushing so hard.

Here we go......

wwxUcuu.jpg
His wine is very good, actually.

Allright. I’ve listened to the whole thing twice. Right now, i would rank it between Lateralis and 10,000 Days.

1 Ænema
2 Undertow
3 Lateralus
4 Fear
5 Opiate
6 10,000 Days

Subject to change

This is the order I'd go with....maybe swap Opiate and 10,000 Days depending on how I'm feeling on a particular day.

Yeah, Opiate has the anger which can fit a particular mood. What a great band! I’ve enjoyed “revisiting” the catalog. Took a break from listening to them for a while for whatever reason.
Agreed with that last statement. Them being on streaming services makes it a lot easier.

Halfway through my third listen and I just want to say that Fear Inoculum is the album I needed in 2019. 👌

Allright. I’ve listened to the whole thing twice. Right now, i would rank it between Lateralis and 10,000 Days.

1 Ænema
2 Undertow
3 Lateralus
4 Fear
5 Opiate
6 10,000 Days

Subject to change
This is the order I'd go with....maybe swap Opiate and 10,000 Days depending on how I'm feeling on a particular day.

Surprised by the high ranking of Undertow. Even when I loved Tool I could never get through that album.

I haven’t been able to stomach Tool in a long time but I was actually excited about hearing the new album today. I’m surprised to say I look forward to more listens. So far the title track is my favorite, probably because it’s the only one I’ve heard more than once. This might be the ultimate “rewards-repeated-listens” album of 2019.

told myself i would wait for the vinyl, knowing 100% I would not. Happy my local had them and was playing the album when i got there. First impressions: not mad at all maynard is seemingly in the backseat to the rest of the boys on this album, adam/danny/justin went off. agree with the stuff about it being derivative from past work at points etc. but it exceeded my expectations by a long shot. v v happy to have another tool record in my life. Last couple mins of pneuma gave me many feels. my fave through 1 listen

Surprised by the high ranking of Undertow. Even when I loved Tool I could never get through that album.

I haven’t been able to stomach Tool in a long time but I was actually excited about hearing the new album today. I’m surprised to say I look forward to more listens. So far the title track is my favorite, probably because it’s the only one I’ve heard more than once. This might be the ultimate “rewards-repeated-listens” album of 2019.

Opiate and Undertow was all we had through my high school years....if the live tracks on Opiate were studio versions I'd rate it higher...as those are good songs.

Ænema is where they became a little more mature in music and lyrics...for the most part. Where they separated themselves from the other bands of the early 90's.

Undertow was my intro to the band, so it ranks high for me. It has their “hit” Sober on it which got played on MTV back in the day. Disgustipated does drag on, so I get what you are saying.

The album is mostly okay. It is a bit long. It’s formulaic Tool. If you like that you’ll have no reason not to like this. Except for some synth work, I didn’t hear anything new. I had hoped for more but I am also relieved they didn’t just throw the whole thing away in the name of progress.

all i want to know in this thread is when the albums available on vinyl. also its looking pretty much like all the albums are going to get the full remaster release treatment. if i hear anything ill post; i hope and trust youll all do the same. glad to have some new tool in my life.

Back