This Is Jeopardy! (Halloween Edition): The October 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

October6This poor bitten fella transforms when the moon rises and the moon makes an appearance on this album.

Let's put a new coat of paint on this lonesome old town
Set 'em up, we'll be knockin' em down
You wear a dress, baby, I'll wear a tie
We'll laugh at that old bloodshot moon in that burgundy sky

IMG_5722.JPG

Day 5: This album/song is about the death of love, much like this wrapped up undead man who was only trying to resurect his ancient dead lover.
What is For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver?

Who is the Mummy?
View attachment 184063

One benefit of a skinny love is you save a bunch on mummy wrapping and embalming fluids.

7. This circus film is about a woman marrying the leader of side-show performers for his money (it backfires), this album also features the theme of false love and/or manipulation.
What is Freaks?

What is Live At Levitation by The Black Angels?
View attachment 184086

Opens with the song, "Manipulation."
One of my all time favorite films. Top 5. And one I've watched at least 30 times.

And a great album to boot. Is that one I sent you a couple years ago? I think @bfly secret santa'ed it to me and Levitation sent me a replacement if I recall.

October7This circus film is about a woman marrying the leader of side-show performers for his money (it backfires), this album also features the theme of false love and/or manipulation.

What is Freaks and what is "Be The Cowboy" by Mitski (2018 Dead Oceans)?

IMG_0490.JPG

Last edited:
Day 7: This circus film is about a woman marrying the leader of side-show performers for his money (it backfires), this album also features the theme of false love and/or manipulation.
What is Freaks!?
What is Freak Show by Silverchair?

Obvious great choice to go with the movie. I havent disected the lyrics enough to make sure it goes well with the theme, but with song titles like 'Abuse Me' and 'Lie To Me,' I could see some underlying false love/manipulation themes. Also since Daniel was still a teenager for these early albums, I'm sure there was plenty of false love to write about.
20231007_104349.jpg

Day 7: This circus film is about a woman marrying the leader of side-show performers for his money (it backfires), this album also features the theme of false love and/or manipulation.

How does a song about false love and manipulation become such a crowd favorite singalong?

What Is Pearl Jam ~ Vitalogy

IMG_3840.jpeg

2. This doctor assembled his monster from body parts belonging to other people, this album is by a band made up of members who typically belong to other bands.

What is Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf?

While the core of the band is now mainly known for being in this band, the drums for this one come from Dave Grohl of Nirvana and Foo Fighters, and Mark Lanegan of Screaming Trees joined the band for a while starting with this album.

20231007_123833.jpg

3. This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

What is Explosions in the Sky - End?

In the online post rock community, there are a lot of EITS haters, and I think a main part of it is that they created a successful sonic template that has been copied by countless lesser bands, and the result was a bit of a homogenization of the genre... but I don't blame EITS for it, any more than I blame, say, the Beastie Boys for rap-rock circa the year 2000.

20230915_173318.jpg

Back