Third Man Records Vault

Yeah, the vaults are inconsistent for the price IMO. They get a pass since they've got true exclusivity to most of the content, though.
To be clear, I didn’t have a problem with the CotL package - I think the vinyl color is cool, the packaging looks great and (most importantly) the records sound good as hell. The only Vaults I’ve gotten that I’d say probably fall short from a value perspective are the two latest new releases - Boarding House Reach and Help Us Stranger. But there are others - Icky Thump X and Live In Detroit come to mind - that are worth way more.

I guess at the heart of it all is my shallowness in wanting a variant of each studio album. It's just this one and Elephant that I need. Perhaps I take the 60 saved here and put it towards the 2017 S/T Red variant or RSD 2013 Elephant variant.
I don't think this is too big of an ask given that they 1) have access to masters and 2) have their own pressing plant. Unless Jack thinks that the versions that are out there are as good as they can be.

I'm just salty though because when they posted this I was certain it would be a sweet reissue.

I guess at the heart of it all is my shallowness in wanting a variant of each studio album. It's just this one and Elephant that I need. Perhaps I take the 60 saved here and put it towards the 2017 S/T Red variant or RSD 2013 Elephant variant.

I 100% recommend picking up the red TMP pressings of the self titled and of white blood cells then. They are some of the best sounding records I own.

The RSD elephant is cool, and I haven’t looked at prices in a while but I’d recommend the US first press 1xred and 1xwhite LPs if the price isn’t too drastic.

The RSD elephant is cool, and I haven’t looked at prices in a while but I’d recommend the US first press 1xred and 1xwhite LPs if the price isn’t too drastic.

I just checked Discogs. The first press is actually cheaper to comparable at the moment.

To be clear, I didn’t have a problem with the CotL package - I think the vinyl color is cool, the packaging looks great and (most importantly) the records sound good as hell. The only Vaults I’ve gotten that I’d say probably fall short from a value perspective are the two latest new releases - Boarding House Reach and Help Us Stranger. But there are others - Icky Thump X and Live In Detroit come to mind - that are worth way more.

I agree in that I wish those two packages offered more.

The only two vaults I was disappointed with were the elephant 7” box and then the sleep one. Just cause I don’t need a live sleep box set. It’s a beautiful set for sure, just not my style.

Got my deluxe Ann Arbor Blues Festival today. Listening to it right now.

Initial thoughts. Really well done package. The extras are cool to look over. The book is awesome. So much better than the Blue Note Anthology booklet.

As for the music itself, the pressing is super quiet. The recordings themselves, however, vary in quality. Some of them sound like professional live recordings from the sound board. A few, like "Too Much Alcohol" sound like someone in the crowd held up a hand recorder from the very back next to someone with a cold (Yes you can hear someone in the crowd closer to the mic than the band cough loudly).

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase. Such an eclectic mix of blues artists in a very cool setting. I can see why TMR did this. I'm working right now so I only got to page through the book, but I will definitely read it asap. It looks so cool.

Got my deluxe Ann Arbor Blues Festival today. Listening to it right now.

Initial thoughts. Really well done package. The extras are cool to look over. The book is awesome. So much better than the Blue Note Anthology booklet.

As for the music itself, the pressing is super quiet. The recordings themselves, however, vary in quality. Some of them sound like professional live recordings from the sound board. A few, like "Too Much Alcohol" sound like someone in the crowd held up a hand recorder from the very back next to someone with a cold (Yes you can hear someone in the crowd closer to the mic than the band cough loudly).

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase. Such an eclectic mix of blues artists in a very cool setting. I can see why TMR did this. I'm working right now so I only got to page through the book, but I will definitely read it asap. It looks so cool.
Thanks for the deets. I'm leaning towards the standard version, happy to hear that the pressing is good.

Thanks for the deets. I'm leaning towards the standard version, happy to hear that the pressing is good.

Yeah if I wasn't a sucker for the extra context the standards would be just fine.

Also, TMR did a really shitty job packaging the box for shipping. I have a small crinkle on the box and the beginnings of splits on both of the sleeves, but it should have been WAY worse considering the packing job they did. Nothing I'd waste my time trying to get a replacement for, but Major YIKES.

I preordered the standard Ann Arbor Blues Festival Vols 1 & 2. Only spun the first one so far and the recording is a little rough, but the pressing is fine. I thought the exact same thing as @Djxfactor511 ... The booklets included for this Ann Arbor Festival are much better than the anthology!

TMR also sent a bonus 78 RPM which might have only been for pre-orders, I don't know for sure. @trickyseven If there is still a "bundle" option in the TMR store, then you might get it, too. Mississippi Fred McDowell* / Mississippi Fred McDowell* And Big Mama Thornton - Ann Arbor Blues Festival 1969
That was pretty cool of them to send it. I'm happy with the standard version, though all those extra goodies would be fun.

I preordered the standard Ann Arbor Blues Festival Vols 1 & 2. Only spun the first one so far and the recording is a little rough, but the pressing is fine. I thought the exact same thing as @Djxfactor511 ... The booklets included for this Ann Arbor Festival are much better than the anthology!

TMR also sent a bonus 78 RPM which might have only been for pre-orders, I don't know for sure. @trickyseven If there is still a "bundle" option in the TMR store, then you might get it, too. Mississippi Fred McDowell* / Mississippi Fred McDowell* And Big Mama Thornton - Ann Arbor Blues Festival 1969
That was pretty cool of them to send it. I'm happy with the standard version, though all those extra goodies would be fun.
Good to know, thanks! The bundle is sold out at the moment, I think because volume one (??) is sold out.

TMR Vault is offering a seriously discounted 3-month trail membership to Nugs.net. I've used Nugs to get some one-off boots before but never had a subscription. To me the bigger news here is that TMR is going to start dropping live recordings each month.

TMR Vault is offering a seriously discounted 3-month trail membership to Nugs.net. I've used Nugs to get some one-off boots before but never had a subscription. To me the bigger news here is that TMR is going to start dropping live recordings each month.

Yeah, having TMR shows on Nugs is gonna be awesome. Not sure it's enough for me to sign up though, as I hardly have time to listen to what I want to much less add a whole slew of live shows to the queue.

Yeah, having TMR shows on Nugs is gonna be awesome. Not sure it's enough for me to sign up though, as I hardly have time to listen to what I want to much less add a whole slew of live shows to the queue.
Yeah, same. I’ll be keeping an eye out for any shows that look particularly enticing (or that I was at) and maybe buy them one-off, but I don’t think I’m going for a subscription. It seems overwhelming frankly.

Back