Third Man Records Vault

On one hand I have to agree with those who are disappointed on this. I was really hoping for a re-release of the album since I don't own it on vinyl. Outtakes and live recordings just don't do it for me, and it's not something I would listen to much on vinyl. On the other hand, it makes my decision easy, and I get to save $60

On one hand I have to agree with those who are disappointed on this. I was really hoping for a re-release of the album since I don't own it on vinyl. Outtakes and live recordings just don't do it for me, and it's not something I would listen to much on vinyl. On the other hand, it makes my decision easy, and I get to save $60
It's basically a box set without the album that inspired the box set. Imagine if the recent box set of The Queen is Dead did not, in fact, contain The Queen is Dead.

This seems like a weird thing to get upset about! The album has been readily available for years, these things haven't.
giphy.gif

Ahh...happy again, another WS package and really the only reason I enjoy my vault subscription. Its just a great way to receive music from one of my favourite groups and artists. In saying this though, I'm all in on DW and Racs vault packages as well. As for all the other stuff in between...meh...they may as well be VMP exclusives or RoTMS.

Outtakes I wouldn't really care about, but the live stuff is super appealing to me overall.
I agree with this. The Live in Detroit box set is probably my favorite vault release, but that also means that just a few quarters ago we got a Stripes show from like two months before this one.

It's basically a box set without the album that inspired the box set. Imagine if the recent box set of The Queen is Dead did not, in fact, contain The Queen is Dead.
This seems like a weird thing to get upset about! The album has been readily available for years, these things haven't.
This is basically my thoughts on it. I'd probably jump in if it had the actual album. I'm not enveloped enough into WS to justify this purchase.

It's the TMR Vault. It's supposed to be stuff not released, and from the vaults. It's for the super fans. Their expectation is that you already own and love the self titled, and you want more from that time period.

Wait you can actually subscribe for this at any time during the quarter? Did it used to be you only had a month to sub?

It's always been this way. Historically, hey just tend to make the announcement roughly a month before the sign up deadline. But once the deadline hits, you have a full 3 months to sign up for the next one, you just won't know what it is for a while.

While I would have loved a remastered/mono/whatever version of the original LP, this still looks like a great package. Just would have been perfect with a special copy of the original LP

It's the TMR Vault. It's supposed to be stuff not released, and from the vaults. It's for the super fans. Their expectation is that you already own and love the self titled, and you want more from that time period.
Icky Thump X came with the original album, B-sides and demos spread across 4 LPs. So I don't think including the original album here would have been a stretch (not to mention calling it X and this new one XX, so you can see how it's somewhat misleading).

Icky Thump X came with the original album, B-sides and demos spread across 4 LPs. So I don't think including the original album here would have been a stretch (not to mention calling it X and this new one XX, so you can see how it's somewhat misleading).

Yah I already addressed that in a previous post.

But to be honest, when Icky Thump X was announced my response was, "Really, you're doing Icky Thump in the vault again?" And then, "You already tricked me into buying this album 4 times, Jack."

While I think it's a great pressing of IT, I wasn't SUPER into it's inclusion at the moment in time.

While I would have loved a remastered/mono/whatever version of the original LP, this still looks like a great package. Just would have been perfect with a special copy of the original LP

I believe that only IT was recorded in both stereo and mono. That's why the mono cut exists. It's actually entirely different, and some of the lyrics are even different from the stereo version.

They also straight up reissued Consolers of the Lonely earlier this year with just a 7” of new Racs singles.

Yah I already addressed that in a previous post.

But to be honest, when Icky Thump X was announced my response was, "Really, you're doing Icky Thump in the vault again?" And then, "You already tricked me into buying this album 4 times, Jack."

While I think it's a great pressing of IT, I wasn't SUPER into it's inclusion at the moment in time.
They also straight up reissued Consolers of the Lonely earlier this year with just a 7” of new Racs singles.
I guess at the heart of it all is my shallowness in wanting a variant of each studio album. It's just this one and Elephant that I need. Perhaps I take the 60 saved here and put it towards the 2017 S/T Red variant or RSD 2013 Elephant variant.

Back