The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

I can't do sherry cask, everytime I try I feel like I should be at a proper English breakfast eating crumpets and talking about the weather and then Mrs. Hickinbottom has one too many and tells a dirty limerick and everybody politely titters but you can tell Mrs. Farnsworth is NONE TOO PLEASED and then the bobbies arrive and haul everyone away for tax evasion.

On second thought maybe I'll have more sherry.
I feel like if I were Scottish I’d challenge you to a fight for this comment

If you like that finish a lot, there's a TON of sherry finished whiskey out there to explore. One thing to look for are whether its first fill vs refill sherry casks or not. First fill will likely impart more of the sherry imbued flavors into the whiskey, whereas refill is more likely to be subtler.

Yeah I tend to prefer finished in a sherry cask rather than the full mature. Stout cask has become a personal favourite finish of mine the last few years too.

Also why would anyone Scottish care about slandering English Breakfasts or a liquor that originates in Spain?

Also why would anyone Scottish care about slandering English Breakfasts or a liquor that originates in Spain?
A huge proportion of scotches are matured or finished in sherry casks. It’s the most commonly used cask aside from perhaps ex-bourbon.

A huge proportion of scotches are matured or finished in sherry casks. It’s the most commonly used cask aside from perhaps ex-bourbon.
I think the difference here is, I'm speaking of specificly labeled "sherry cask" liquors which tends to be WAY more sherry forward than your average Scotch. For instance, Red Head Writers Tears. I love Writers Tears but I find the Red Head tastes like someone washed the glass with meraschino cherries.

494765-A.jpg.thumb.1280.1280.jpg

Noice…. Happy Birthday! Love the Laphroaig. I’ll have a pour of the Quarter Cask for you. How is the sherry oak finish?
The Sherry Oak is good! Not a night and day difference from the 10, but it does have a nice deep color and an underlying dried fruit element to the nose and the palate, well integrated and very pleasant. That said, in my state it costs $30 more (!!) than the regular 10, $10 more than the Quarter Cask, and the same as the 10 Cask Strength, and from that group I’m taking the 10 CS all day every day and twice on Sunday. I don’t regret buying it, but they should be pricing it the same as the Quarter Cask, at the most.

The non standard offerings from Jack Daniels have gotten a lot of really good reviews lately, including this. This is fantastic. It reminds me of High West Rendesvous Rye, back when they still sourced and blended. It's got classic rye spice, but also dill and other herbal notes. Its not just spicy cinnamon like a lot of rye out there. Little bit oily mouthfeel. For ~$35, it's a steal.

20231208_183509.jpg

Based on my love of Barrell Seagrass (blend of cask strength Ryes finished in multiple barrel types), and I think @kvetcha saying it was good, I picked this up.

Same concept as Seagrass, just bourbon and diff barrel types. This is nearly as good (Seagrass rules) in the same balanced fruity spice kinda way. It's a good thing I'm super picky about my vinyl purchases...

20231208_190433.jpg

Based on my love of Barrell Seagrass (blend of cask strength Ryes finished in multiple barrel types), and I think @kvetcha saying it was good, I picked this up.

Same concept as Seagrass, just bourbon and diff barrel types. This is nearly as good (Seagrass rules) in the same balanced fruity spice kinda way. It's a good thing I'm super picky about my vinyl purchases...

View attachment 190006
I actually haven’t had the Vantage! It uses a mixture of classic barrels; the Seagrass equivalent using unusual finishes is Armida. Vantage looks amazing though.

re: the Jack Daniels, have you had the Triple Mash? It’s a blend of Bonded, Bonded Rye, and Bonded American Single Malt (an expression that’s only available duty free otherwise). Really tasty.

Back