The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

Big Bookers fan, and of the Jim Beam portfolio overall. I could live with just Knob Creek and be totally happy. The best Bookers lately is Kentucky Tea Batch, but this one is still very solid.
View attachment 184282
Jeez, is this post really the first one in this thread this YEAR?? Challenge accepted.
Booker's is my jam.

True story, first time I was introduced to Booker's a co worker had bought me a bottle as a gift. I went home and poured myself about three fingers (what I have a stressful job don't judge me) drank the glass, stood up and immediately fell into my hallway. THEN I looked at the percentage. Its that smooth.

Side note my favorite not crazy expensive bourbon is Eagle Rare. Except it's IMPOSSIBLE to get in Ontario now. I bought five bottles last time it appeared.

Last edited:
Booker's is my jam.

True story, first time I was introduced to Booker's a co worker had bought me a bottle as a gift. I went home and poured myself about three fingers (what I have a stressful job don't judge me) drank the glass, stood up and immediately fell into my hallway. THEN I looked at the percentage. Its that smooth.

Side note my favorite not crazy expensive bourbon is Eagle Rare. Save it's IMPOSSIBLE to get in Ontario now. I bought five bottles last time it appeared.
It’s impossible to get anywhere round here…without standing in line for hours

It’s impossible to get anywhere round here…without standing in line for hours
Was it on a show or something? Why did it suddenly blow up? Wait, do you mean Eagle Rare or Booker's. (For the record both of them are impossible to get up here)

Was it on a show or something? Why did it suddenly blow up? Wait, do you mean Eagle Rare or Booker's. (For the record both of them are impossible to get up here)
Both are here too..but all good bourbons are tough to here round here…green weller is my go to though

Bookers is getting easier to get of late. I have 5 variants from the past year-ish.

Caskers.com has Eagle Rare for $100, at least for me in MN. More than I'm wiling to spend. Haven't seen it in the wild around here for years and years.

I remember the days of $40 Bookers. Blantons for $50. Weller was around. Expensive was ~$80 or more. This was only like 7 years ago.

Both are here too..but all good bourbons are tough to here round here…green weller is my go to though
But Eagle Rare was always so simple to find, much like Blantons... and then both just suddenly vanished. I think Blantons was on a popular tv show which made it just explode, not sure about Eagle...

EDIT: Just looked. Blantons was in John Wick

In other news. People are stupid sheep.

But Eagle Rare was always so simple to find, much like Blantons... and then both just suddenly vanished. I think Blantons was on a popular tv show which made it just explode, not sure about Eagle...
It has the pedigree of being the first single barrel bourbon on the market. And the horsie on top. I think its the horsie causing all the fuss, tbh.

It has the pedigree of being the first single barrel bourbon on the market. And the horsie on top. I think its the horsie causing all the fuss, tbh.
Honestly, it's fine but I never thought it was anything great. I think your standard Basil Hayden bests it.

EDIT: Just looked. Blantons was in John Wick

In other news. People are stupid sheep.
Anthony Bourdain helped popularize Pappy. He would be coy about his favorite bourbon, then he finally spoke about it openly and I THINK that's when shit got dumb around that brand. Honestly, 23 year old bourbon,or whatever the oldest version is, sounds terrible to me. Mmm, astringent oak.

Anthony Bourdain helped popularize Pappy. He would be coy about his favorite bourbon, then he finally spoke about it openly and I THINK that's when shit got dumb around that brand. Honestly, 23 year old bourbon,or whatever the oldest version is, sounds terrible to me. Mmm, astringent oak.
I look at liquor diminishing returns in the same way I look at audio gear diminishing returns. I don't necessarily want the best but I'll be damned if I wouldn't like a little taste nonetheless.

I look at liquor diminishing returns in the same way I look at audio gear diminishing returns. I don't necessarily want the best but I'll be damned if I wouldn't like a little taste nonetheless.
And sometimes you realize you actually can't turn back after that taste. You'll be cleaning your Paua stylus in Pappy 23 soon enough

Nikka "from the barrel". Lovely Japanese whiskey with a bit more barrel and swagger than other Nikka I've had. This one comes and goes in availability. Usually a limit one situation.
View attachment 184284
Love love love this stuff, even if the bottle is a massive pain to pour from.

Interestingly, it’s mostly scotch by volume (from Ben Nevis Distillery), but there are a nevertheless a number of Japanese whiskies in the blend. It’s a great example of the art.

I see that Barrell Seagrass back there. Good stuff.

Ust to be clearLove love love this stuff, even if the bottle is a massive pain to pour from.

Interestingly, it’s mostly scotch by volume (from Ben Nevis Distillery), but there are a nevertheless a number of Japanese whiskies in the blend. It’s a great example of the art.

I see that Barrell Seagrass back there. Good stuff.
The bottle is pretty bad, both in form and function. Its the dinkiest little cap.

I actually had the Seagrass as my 3rd pour tonight (1oz measured pours, just to be clear). Thats my first bottle, and I'll definitely be replacing it. Nice change up to have in the cabinet.

Ok, tonight is starting out with this gem. By Islay standards/my experience, its pretty tame in the briney, smokey, peaty dept. A great value at ~$60 round these parts. Lil heavier 100 proof than most scotch. Nice gateway whiskey for the Islay curious, as it's not too heavy handed in any one direction, while retaining some sweetness for balance. Nummers.

20231011_193052.jpg

Ok, tonight is starting out with this gem. By Islay standards/my experience, its pretty tame in the briney, smokey, peaty dept. A great value at ~$60 round these parts. Lil heavier 100 proof than most scotch. Nice gateway whiskey for the Islay curious, as it's not too heavy handed in any one direction, while retaining some sweetness for balance. Nummers.

View attachment 184435
I've always loved that bottle. But never tasted it.

Back