The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

I actually haven’t had the Vantage! It uses a mixture of classic barrels; the Seagrass equivalent using unusual finishes is Armida. Vantage looks amazing though.

re: the Jack Daniels, have you had the Triple Mash? It’s a blend of Bonded, Bonded Rye, and Bonded American Single Malt (an expression that’s only available duty free otherwise). Really tasty.
Ah, Armida, ok. Ever have Dovetail?

Tried the JD triple mash at a bar this past weekend and I really liked it. The rye I Iike so much really came thru. At <$40 a bottle, it's a huge bang for buck option.

Last edited:
Ah, Armida, ok. Ever have Dovetail?

Tried the JD triple mash at a bar this past weekend and I really liked it. The rye I Iike so much really came thru. At <$40 a bottle, it's a huge bang for buck option.
I haven’t had Dovetail! It’s on my list but is in the price tier here that makes it a Sometimes Treat.

And yeah, I think the Triple Mash is my favorite JD expression, though I have heard the Single Barrel Barrel Proofs are terrific.

I paid for a (generous) pour of Johnny Walker Blue Label at a Christmas party and it was...uh, fine? Perfectly good on its own merits but doesn't even come close to being worth the premium. I feel vindicated in never having shelled out for a bottle.

I paid for a (generous) pour of Johnny Walker Blue Label at a Christmas party and it was...uh, fine? Perfectly good on its own merits but doesn't even come close to being worth the premium. I feel vindicated in never having shelled out for a bottle.

Johnny Walker in general is just fine Diageo branded stuff. Can get much better for less.

Johnny Walker in general is just fine Diageo branded stuff. Can get much better for less.
I'm much more of a single malt than a blended scotch guy. But even in that general category I would take something like Nikka Whiskey from the Barrel ($70) over a JW Blue Label ($250) any day of the week. Nice lookin' bottle, though!

I do have a bottle of Island Green that I like pretty well, so I've got nothing against JW, per se.

Diageo has some incredible whiskies. Talisker and Lagavulin are two of my absolute favorites!

I'm much more of a single malt than a blended scotch guy. But even in that general category I would take something like Nikka Whiskey from the Barrel ($70) over a JW Blue Label ($250) any day of the week. Nice lookin' bottle, though!

I do have a bottle of Island Green that I like pretty well, so I've got nothing against JW, per se.

Diageo has some incredible whiskies. Talisker and Lagavulin are two of my absolute favorites!

This is true but Diageo generally also use their bigger brands - Jamieson & Johnie Walker being the main two - to push whiskey that isn’t bad but also isn’t all that special, it’s just about inoffensive enough to appeal to everyone without anyone falling head over heels for it.

One time, we were in Ireland and my buddy was on a whisky tasting tour and the bar he went to had Pappy Van Winkle at $250 an ounce. He was already half cut and I tried to convince him to get it but he wouldn't so I quickly texted all of our friends and asked everyone to put in $20 so he could get an ounce of Pappy's. It was my solitary and proudest crowdfunding moment. He said the tender poured him a double and he took 45 minutes to drink those two ounces. He said it was incredible but also he was dronk AF by this point so who knows.

To participate in this thread you need to know the difference between whiskey and whisky
How dare you even suggest..
-googles "whisky"-
that I don't know the difference...
-furiously writing-
between whisky and whiskey...
-flips through graphs and pie charts-
you imperialist swine...

Whisky (no e) refers to Scottish, Canadian, or Japanese grain spirits. Whiskey (with an e) refers to grain spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States.

I BET YOU FEEL STUPID NOW HERR ANDERSON

-clumsily salutes-

How dare you even suggest..
-googles "whisky"-
that I don't know the difference...
-furiously writing-
between whisky and whiskey...
-flips through graphs and pie charts-
you imperialist swine...

Whisky (no e) refers to Scottish, Canadian, or Japanese grain spirits. Whiskey (with an e) refers to grain spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States.

I BET YOU FEEL STUPID NOW HERR ANDERSON

-clumsily salutes-
I prefer to spell it bourbon

One time, we were in Ireland and my buddy was on a whisky tasting tour and the bar he went to had Pappy Van Winkle at $250 an ounce. He was already half cut and I tried to convince him to get it but he wouldn't so I quickly texted all of our friends and asked everyone to put in $20 so he could get an ounce of Pappy's. It was my solitary and proudest crowdfunding moment. He said the tender poured him a double and he took 45 minutes to drink those two ounces. He said it was incredible but also he was dronk AF by this point so who knows.

I finally saw a bottle of Pappy a few months ago at a bar that I was seeing Mike Watt at. $100 a shot. I was very close to buying one. I’ll have to settle for Weller instead.

Has anyone ever tried this before? My wife’s ex bro in law gifted this to us last year and I still haven’t opened it.

IMG_1101.jpeg

Back