The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

I went scotch shopping this weekend and might've overdone it a bit. I'll post pics this evening when I'm home from work.

Edit
View attachment 122123

I've had quite a few bottle of the Glenfarclas over the years. Always great. The others I'm not sure that I've tried.

I see you've already gone through a fair bit, I can't see any of these lasting long into the New Year 🥃

I’ve never tried any of these!

I've had quite a few bottle of the Glenfarclas over the years. Always great. The others I'm not sure that I've tried.

I see you've already gone through a fair bit, I can't see any of these lasting long into the New Year 🥃

Glenfarclas is one my favourites. I've tried the 15, 17, and 21 but the price goes up pretty quick so the 12 is my standard. For Glenlivet I really like the Captain's Reserve but I don't drink much of the others. Same with the Glen Garioch, really like this reserve. The two in the back are new for me although I tried the Kilchoman in the store. Smells like I just doused a campfire :)

Glenfarclas is one my favourites. I've tried the 15, 17, and 21 but the price goes up pretty quick so the 12 is my standard. For Glenlivet I really like the Captain's Reserve but I don't drink much of the others. Same with the Glen Garioch, really like this reserve. The two in the back are new for me although I tried the Kilchoman in the store. Smells like I just doused a campfire :)

How did the 17 & 21 compare? Like you 12 is my standard. The Glenfarclas 12 & the Dalmore 12 have been my go to whisky's over the years. Currently I've been able to get Jura 10 year old cheap and it goes down a little too easily. Probably on my 3rd bottle in as many weeks.

Definitely interested on how you think the others you bought hold up. You have some good looking Whisky to get through.

Screenshot 2021-12-21 at 21.54.31.png

How did the 17 & 21 compare? Like you 12 is my standard. The Glenfarclas 12 & the Dalmore 12 have been my go to whisky's over the years. Currently I've been able to get Jura 10 year old cheap and it goes down a little too easily. Probably on my 3rd bottle in as many weeks.
The 21 is great, I thought the 17 was a bit sweet. Pretty sure I preferred the 15 to the 17. I've had a lot of Jura 10, it's a good deal and like you said it goes down easy. Dalmore has been a staple for me too. The Glenlivet Captain's Reserve used to be priced better here, not as much of a deal now.

Love an Islay. Haven’t tried Klichoman, though.

Is this a thing?

I’ve had a whiskey every night for about the last month. First it was 50mL a night from the advent calendar, and since Christmas it’s been my own pours, but still only about that much.

First 24 days, no problem. But in the last week, on three non-consecutive nights I’ve had a pour of Dickel BiB, and each time on the morning after I have a SPLITTING headache that lasts well into the afternoon. Pour something else on an in-between night, back to no problem the following day.

Can anybody think of a reason that less than 2 ounces from one bottle would do this when other bottles of comparable proof don’t? Am I (probably) just imagining a correlation? It’s a pity, because I like the Dickel quite a bit, but I don’t think it’s worth continuing the experiment.

Last edited:
Is this a thing?

I’ve had a whiskey every night for about the last month. First it was 50mL a night from the advent calendar, and since Christmas it’s been my own pours, but still only about that much.

First 24 days, no problem. But in the last week, on three non-consecutive nights I’ve had a pour of Dickel BiB, and each time on the morning after I have a SPLITTING headache that lasts well into the afternoon. Pour something else on an in-between night, back to no problem the following day.

Can anybody think of a reason that less than 2 ounces from one bottle would do this when other bottles of comparable proof don’t? Am I (probably) just imagining a correlation? It’s a pity, because I like the Dickel quite a bit, but I don’t think it’s worth continuing the experiment.
Seems highly unusual. Shouldn't be anything specific about the Dickel vs any other BiB whiskey.

Back