The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

Is this a thing?

I’ve had a whiskey every night for about the last month. First it was 50mL a night from the advent calendar, and since Christmas it’s been my own pours, but still only about that much.

First 24 days, no problem. But in the last week, on three non-consecutive nights I’ve had a pour of Dickel BiB, and each time on the morning after I have a SPLITTING headache that lasts well into the afternoon. Pour something else on an in-between night, back to no problem the following day.

Can anybody think of a reason that less than 2 ounces from one bottle would do this when other bottles of comparable proof don’t? Am I (probably) just imagining a correlation? It’s a pity, because I like the Dickel quite a bit, but I don’t think it’s worth continuing the experiment.
Dickel is the devil. Simply brutal.

Is this a thing?

I’ve had a whiskey every night for about the last month. First it was 50mL a night from the advent calendar, and since Christmas it’s been my own pours, but still only about that much.

First 24 days, no problem. But in the last week, on three non-consecutive nights I’ve had a pour of Dickel BiB, and each time on the morning after I have a SPLITTING headache that lasts well into the afternoon. Pour something else on an in-between night, back to no problem the following day.

Can anybody think of a reason that less than 2 ounces from one bottle would do this when other bottles of comparable proof don’t? Am I (probably) just imagining a correlation? It’s a pity, because I like the Dickel quite a bit, but I don’t think it’s worth continuing the experiment.

Seems highly unusual. Shouldn't be anything specific about the Dickel vs any other BiB whiskey.

Dickel is the devil. Simply brutal.
Mixed a bit with a cherry cola last night. Other than a bit of champagne at midnight it’s all I imbibed. Same result again this morning. Think I gotta write this one off as Not For Me.

I'm lucky that we have pretty good access to all their whiskeys living in California. Also, if you ever find yourself stuck in the SLC airport for any period of time they have a bar there!
I was sad to hear they're turning Campfire into a distillery-only release. Love that stuff.

I was sad to hear they're turning Campfire into a distillery-only release. Love that stuff.
Yipes. Grabbed a bottle at a local shop 2 weeks ago and I'm already half done with it. Knowing this, I'm gonna have to savor this one and switch to a different "daily drinker".

Where do y’all hold all your bottles? Looking for ideas on how to store mine. My girlfriend got me an oak cart for my birthday, but it’s a little cluttered and I may want to get a full “small-ish” cabinet.

Where do y’all hold all your bottles? Looking for ideas on how to store mine. My girlfriend got me an oak cart for my birthday, but it’s a little cluttered and I may want to get a full “small-ish” cabinet.
This is a vintage hors d'oeuvres cart that I bought at a thrift store for like $100. It might be time to move my third place horseshoe trophy (long story) off to make room for more bottles.

F871EDE0-255E-4171-A570-20D6C1407930.jpeg

A38167DB-C123-452E-8544-A057BD95C33E.jpeg
Here is my problem.

The middle shelf isn’t quite tall enough for most things. Maybe I should keep some glasses there? I’m thinking of getting a small-ish cabinet to keep things and just put my everyday drinkers or current hotness on the cart. I, too, have a small apartment, so my thirst it outpacing my space.

View attachment 134227
Here is my problem.

The middle shelf isn’t quite tall enough for most things. Maybe I should keep some glasses there? I’m thinking of getting a small-ish cabinet to keep things and just put my everyday drinkers or current hotness on the cart. I, too, have a small apartment, so my thirst it outpacing my space.
I have a similar problem but have managed to find enough short bottles/bitters to fill the space.

Back