The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

The samples were whatever size the drinker wanted. Usually about an ounce or two in a cup, but we didn't finish most pours. We did this back in March at a hotel, so we had a bucket of ice on hand for the second pass-through. There were only 3 of us doing the tasting. It was a "vaccinated friends only" weekend since we were going to be swimming and hanging out in a common room. Next years will be more people. But, with the 3 of us it took about 2 hours. We tried to stay on the same glass and talk about them together before we moved on the the next. We had been drinking for a while, so sometimes it was 10 minutes of bullshitting between drinks. After we went through once and had our lineup in the order we wanted, we put ice in them and took another sip of them. That went way quicker. I only moved a few around, but my friend Steve pretty much rearranged his whole lineup on the second pass. The other friend was laying on the bed at that point telling us he hated us and all whiskey tastes like musty satan sweat. At least our significant others had someone to laugh at while we went through these. Ha. We cleansed our palate with domestic pilsners we grabbed at the hotel bar downstairs. We each had a glass of water, but I used the Miller Lite more than the water. We had some hunters sausage, cheese curds, beef jerky, and pretzels that we grabbed at a shop in town. Then, what was probably my worst decision of 2021 so far, we all ate a spicy pickled egg after the event was complete. It was funny......but also horrible.

my pours
4BC20790-75DD-4930-B55E-52BEF36CB213.jpeg
The horrible egg
4512D303-C35C-4D93-9C50-6A6881005BE9.jpeg

Last edited:
The samples were whatever size the drinker wanted. Usually about an ounce or two in a cup, but we didn't finish most pours. We did this back in March at a hotel, so we had a bucket of ice on hand for the second pass-through. There were only 3 of us doing the tasting. It was a "vaccinated friends only" weekend since we were going to be swimming and hanging out in a common room. Next years will be more people. But, with the 3 of us it took about 2 hours. We tried to stay on the same glass and talk about them together before we moved on the the next. We had been drinking for a while, so sometimes it was 10 minutes of bullshitting between drinks. After we went through once and had our lineup in the order we wanted, we put ice in them and took another sip of them. That went way quicker. I only moved a few around, but my friend Steve pretty much rearranged his whole lineup on the second pass. The other friend was laying on the bed at that point telling us he hated us and all whiskey tastes like musty satan sweat. At least our significant others had someone to laugh at while we went through these. Ha. We cleansed our palate with domestic pilsners we grabbed at the hotel bar downstairs. We each had a glass of water, but I used the Miller Lite more than the water. We had some hunters sausage, cheese curds, beef jerky, and pretzels that we grabbed at a shop in town. Then, what was probably my worst decision of 2021 so far, we all ate a spicy pickled egg after the event was complete. It was funny......but also horrible.

my pours
View attachment 102507
The horrible egg
View attachment 102508
You either have a giant hand or that’s a sparrows egg 😆

Optical illusion? It seemed to have shrank somewhat in the vinegar brine, because whatever water was inside of it definitely got sucked out. It was maybe a little smaller than normal. Eating it made it seem like a fucking ostrich egg, though. It wasn’t the taste or spiciness that got us, it was the dryness. Every bite my mouth filled up with more dry egg crumbles. The more I tried to swallow dry bits of hot egg, the more I laughed, which made it even tougher.

Optical illusion? It seemed to have shrank somewhat in the vinegar brine, because whatever water was inside of it definitely got sucked out. It was maybe a little smaller than normal. Eating it made it seem like a fucking ostrich egg, though. It wasn’t the taste or spiciness that got us, it was the dryness. Every bite my mouth filled up with more dry egg crumbles. The more I tried to swallow dry bits of hot egg, the more I laughed, which made it even tougher.
Spicy pickled eggs are awesome. You just need more practice.

Spicy pickled eggs are awesome. You just need more practice.
Oh I'll eat anything pickled. Well, maybe not pigs feet. I've had some pickled eggs, spicy and non, a few times, but these were so dry it was like eating cornstarch compressed into egg form. 10/10 would sahara again.

Heaven Hill distillery employees are going on strike. My house whiskey has been Rittenhouse Rye for years, but I will be switching to Wild Turkey 101 for the foreseeable future. Other brands I like that I will not be buying are Henry McKenna BiB, Elijah Craig SB (and all their brands tbh), Evan Williams black label, and Larceny.

Frankly I like just about everything from their juice but I'm not gonna buy it. I hope you don't either.

Last edited:
Got to try a couple of Willett Single Barrel expressions over the weekend (Cookie Monster and If You Build It). Very good drams, but my conclusion remains the same: I think I’m a rye and scotch guy.

Heaven Hill distillery employees are going on strike. My house whiskey has been Rittenhouse Rye for years, but I will be switching to Wild Turkey 101 for the foreseeable future.

I think I’m a rye and scotch guy.
So, I splurged a bit on Flaviar's "Whiskeys of the Galaxy" 2021 advent calendar to give myself a little variety without having to think about it. Initial impressions at the halfway mark are pretty much "It's fine," with one exception: Whistlepig's Piggyback Rye reached out of the glass, slapped me across the face, and screamed "I OWN YOU NOW!" I don't remember the 10 year making nearly as much of an impression on me when I tried it earlier this summer, but maybe I need to revisit, because Piggyback felt like it should be an immediate perma-bottle in the home bar.

So, I splurged a bit on Flaviar's "Whiskeys of the Galaxy" 2021 advent calendar to give myself a little variety without having to think about it. Initial impressions at the halfway mark are pretty much "It's fine," with one exception: Whistlepig's Piggyback Rye reached out of the glass, slapped me across the face, and screamed "I OWN YOU NOW!" I don't remember the 10 year making nearly as much of an impression on me when I tried it earlier this summer, but maybe I need to revisit, because Piggyback felt like it should be an immediate perma-bottle in the home bar.
i may need to seek this out

Piggyback is great, especially at the price point vs the 10 year

my coworkers rave about Whistlepig all the time because they're local but I've never tried their stuff because it's usually above my price point for whiskey. Maybe I'll have to give it a go next time I'm splurging.

i may need to seek this out

my coworkers rave about Whistlepig all the time because they're local but I've never tried their stuff because it's usually above my price point for whiskey. Maybe I'll have to give it a go next time I'm splurging.
I mean, lest I oversell this, keep in mind that a) my palate is garbage and b) this reaction was relative to the other samples I've had out of this box so far.

I mean, lest I oversell this, keep in mind that a) my palate is garbage and b) this reaction was relative to the other samples I've had out of this box so far.
I don't consider myself a whiskey aficionado so if your garbage palate likes it mine will likely too. My favorite whiskey is the Glenlivet 12 which I realize is pretty entry level but I don't care.

Back