The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

Friday Negronis while the soup simmers.
QuZeaQq.jpg

Okay, something about being a dad, or just being tired all the time, or SOMETHING, has really unlocked an appreciation, maybe even a thirst, for the brown stuff lately.

20 quiet minutes alone in a dark room with an Old Fashioned is becoming a nearly religious experience for me.

So I had a straight bourbon on hand from a local distillery, and a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, as well as some Jameson Black Barrel and a Redbreast 12.
This past weekend I got a wild hair and added the following to the home bar:
Buffalo Trace (obligatory, yeah?)
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Knob Creek Single Barrel
Heaven’s Door Double Barrel
Old Forester 1920

And some Bushmills 10Y and a bottle of Green Spot to pad out my Irish side.

Yes, 7 bottles in one go, and like a dummy, I’m already plotting out what else I want to try while I figure out what ‘my’ bottle is.

I’m keeping an eye out for some Eagle Rare 10 Year. Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel is also on my list. What else can you recommend by way of easy sippers in this price tier, +/-? Shying away from rye for now.

Okay, something about being a dad, or just being tired all the time, or SOMETHING, has really unlocked an appreciation, maybe even a thirst, for the brown stuff lately.

20 quiet minutes alone in a dark room with an Old Fashioned is becoming a nearly religious experience for me.

So I had a straight bourbon on hand from a local distillery, and a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, as well as some Jameson Black Barrel and a Redbreast 12.
Knob Creek Single Barrel
Old Forester 1920

Yes, 7 bottles in one go, and like a dummy, I’m already plotting out what else I want to try while I figure out what ‘my’ bottle is.

I’m keeping an eye out for some Eagle Rare 10 Year. Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel is also on my list. What else can you recommend by way of easy sippers in this price tier, +/-? Shying away from rye for now.
Eagle Rare (my favorite reasonable price)
Basil Haydens
Booker's (this is serious 180 proof but awesome and my favorite high proof premium)

Eagle Rare (my favorite reasonable price)
Basil Haydens
Booker's (this is serious 180 proof but awesome and my favorite high proof premium)
Eagle Rare, as I see @marshall alluded to a couple of pages ago, seems hard to come by in this part of the Midwest. That’ll make it seem a lot more special than it is when I get my hands on it.

Last edited:
Eagle Rare, as I see @marshall alluded to a couple of pages ago, seems hard to come by in this part of the Midwest. That’ll make it seem a lot more special than it it when I get my hands on it.
It's by far my favorite quality bourbon. It's more expensive up here, more in the premium category at about $55 a bottle... But it hits all the notes. Plus the bottle is dead sexy.

Knob Creek Single Barrel
Old Forester 1920

Writers Tears is the easy sipper in our house. I’m also fond of Angels Envy.

Knob Creek Single Barrel
Old Forester 1920

IMO Makers 46 is excellent, especially at its price point. Super smooth. Drink it neat. On the rocks. Splash of ginger ale. Old Fashioned or Manhattan. Whatever you like. It's like a daily driver while you experiment. "Regular" Makers is also very good but the 46 is a notch up.

That Russell's Single Barrel is really good but has a bit of a bite to it. I don't care for it as much on its own, but it makes an excellent Manhattan. Just a heads up.

Writers Tears is the easy sipper in our house. I’m also fond of Angels Envy.
Yes, second for Writers Tears if you're going Irish Whiskey as well as bourbon. But in my opinion the standard Writers is preferable to the RedHead variant which is distilled in Spanish Sherry casks.. It's more expensive and to me tastes a bit like something I'd imagine old English women drink at high tea when they're feeling a wee bit saucy. It's good, but too proper for my tastes.

Back