The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

I mean Scotch can get very expensive but I can pick up a Lagavulin 16 for the price of the Yellow Spot I was drinking earlier, and cheaper if I buy it in the U.K., and it’s stellar. It’s not like you have to spend £10k on a super rare MacAllen to get to the good stuff.
Where I'm at Yellow Spot is significantly more expensive than Lagavulin 16. If I really want Irish, I'll go with Writer's Tears or sometimes the Green Spot. But for the enjoyment I get from a $80 bottle of scotch (less peaty, usually sherry cask), I can get from around a $50 bottle of bourbon, at least here in the states.

Yeah but the price tag for trial and error on scotch >>>>> other whiskeys
You make a good point. I forget how many advantages I had--not much money, but my partner likes it already, so I could always steal a sip, brothers-in-law who own a bar, a friend who was a chef at a restaurant with an incredible scotch menu... Okay, after the pandemic I'll offer any of you who show up on my doorstep a sampler of 3 scotches.

Which reminds me, there are lots of sources for scotch samplers, which are fun. Before we had a kid we'd do occasional tastings at home with sampler packs.

You make a good point. I forget how many advantages I had--not much money, but my partner likes it already, so I could always steal a sip, brothers-in-law who own a bar, a friend who was a chef at a restaurant with an incredible scotch menu... Okay, after the pandemic I'll offer any of you who show up on my doorstep a sampler of 3 scotches.

Which reminds me, there are lots of sources for scotch samplers, which are fun. Before we had a kid we'd do occasional tastings at home with sampler packs.
I miss you bars. A $15 pour is much easier to risk than a $75 bottle.

I mean Scotch can get very expensive but I can pick up a Lagavulin 16 for the price of the Yellow Spot I was drinking earlier, and cheaper if I buy it in the U.K., and it’s stellar. It’s not like you have to spend £10k on a super rare MacAllen to get to the good stuff.

Lagavulin 16 used to be C$50 over here during the late 90's. That wasn't cheap in those days but it was my go-to. All of a sudden, it jumped up to C$80 and now I think they go for C$120. I love it, but unfortunately it's luxury over here now.

Lagavulin 16 used to be C$50 over here during the late 90's. That wasn't cheap in those days but it was my go-to. All of a sudden, it jumped up to C$80 and now I think they go for C$120. I love it, but unfortunately it's luxury over here now.

At €80 it’s a bit more than I’d want to pay but it’s £50 in the U.K. so I’d usually pick a bottle up at the airport on the way home from seeing the family at Christmas. With everything that’s going off it will be a while before I’m back there, but the prospect of the U.K. now being a duty free destination again on top of the lower prices means I’ll hopefully get a couple of bottles then...

Last edited:
Old fashioned tonight with Bulleit Bourbon for me. Nothing fancy but a good drink to start the weekend. Asahi chaser.

And it is my colleagues 20 year work anniversary on Monday so we got him a bottle of the Bowmore 20 year old David Simson Distillery Exclusive - only 6000 bottles in the run. Gets great reviews so I’m looking forward to a tipple of that next time COVID allows some international travel!!

Old fashioned tonight with Bulleit Bourbon for me. Nothing fancy but a good drink to start the weekend. Asahi chaser.

And it is my colleagues 20 year work anniversary on Monday so we got him a bottle of the Bowmore 20 year old David Simson Distillery Exclusive - only 6000 bottles in the run. Gets great reviews so I’m looking forward to a tipple of that next time COVID allows some international travel!!

Also for anyone who frequents both this thread and the cafe...that link mentions butts. Multiple times. You’re welcome.

Back