The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

I’ve picked up a Catoctin Creek whiskey distilled from an English-style ale made by one of the best DC-area breweries. Looking forward to giving it a shot tonight!

I’ve picked up a Catoctin Creek whiskey distilled from an English-style ale made by one of the best DC-area breweries. Looking forward to giving it a shot tonight!

What do you mean from? Is it just that it it is aged in their casks or are you going to tell me something much more interesting?

What do you mean from? Is it just that it it is aged in their casks or are you going to tell me something much more interesting?
No, Port City brewed an English-style ale called Colossal X (they brew a different style each year to celebrate the anniversary of the brewery). Catoctin Creek took this beer, distilled it, and barrel aged it into a malt whiskey.

It’s sort of a split collaboration, since Port City took the same beer and aged it in Catoctin Creek rye barrels, so you can have it as a barrel aged beer or a beer-distilled whiskey.

No, Port City brewed an English-style ale called Colossal X (they brew a different style each year to celebrate the anniversary of the brewery). Catoctin Creek took this beer, distilled it, and barrel aged it into a malt whiskey.

It’s sort of a split collaboration, since Port City took the same beer and aged it in Catoctin Creek rye barrels, so you can have it as a barrel aged beer or a beer-distilled whiskey.

I expect to awake hungover to a full write up with tasting notes...

I had a whiskey distilled from an IPA and found it undrinkable on it's own but loved it in a boulevardier

I expect to awake hungover to a full write up with tasting notes...
The nose is wild. Perfumed wood, hops, warming spice. Very lush.

Thin on the palate, like a young brandy. Mostly oak. Slight sweetness, rounded, mellow mouthfeel (because barley?), finish is mostly wood and vanilla. Little bit of young whiskey burn.

This one’s all about the nose, which is fascinating. The flavor is less complex, but pleasant. I may just sniff at this all night.

Splurged on a bottle of Lagavulin 16 today bc I was out of scotch and I like this one. I was also looking to try out a new bourbon but didn’t see one that looked interesting enough to take a chance on... what are some newish bourbons you guys are drinking?

Splurged on a bottle of Lagavulin 16 today bc I was out of scotch and I like this one. I was also looking to try out a new bourbon but didn’t see one that looked interesting enough to take a chance on... what are some newish bourbons you guys are drinking?

Basil Hayden is pretty common right? That's the one I'm working through right now, I'm very much enjoying and the price was reasonable. This was my first time trying this one...

Ooooh I am 100% gonna try this.
It was most likely the IPA of it all, but I remember very bitter candied lemon peel to be the most prominent taste and that just so happened to work wonderfully with a boulevardier. A malt-forward English ale sounds like it lends itself to distilling much better.

Basil Hayden is pretty common right? That's the one I'm working through right now, I'm very much enjoying and the price was reasonable. This was my first time trying this one...
I did see that one at my local but only a super huge bottle so I passed. Shelves were a bit light today

Prices make a big difference. Have you tried Eagle Rare? Great at $30-35. Angels Envy is really good too but that’s up around $50. If your local has some limited store specific releases those always fun to try. Also like Four Roses - small batch is really good at $35ish and their single barrel is even smoother at around $45.

Prices make a big difference. Have you tried Eagle Rare? Great at $30-35. Angels Envy is really good too but that’s up around $50. If your local has some limited store specific releases those always fun to try. Also like Four Roses - small batch is really good at $35ish and their single barrel is even smoother at around $45.
I’m running low on my Four Roses single barrel, and yes it is lovely. Didn’t see any so was looking around. I have not tried the other two you mentioned so thanks for the recs!

Back