The VPI Turntable Thread

I get this, but the weight is on one end and the cartridge and the screws are on the other.
The pivot point is in between those two spots.

So the weight is causing inertia to happen in one direction - let's say the outside groove. The weighted screws are somewhat offsetting that by causing inertia in the other direction - let's say the inside groove. The fulcrum of the pivot point would of course make one inertia greater than the other. Which is probably why the weights are close to the pivot point in general.
Umm, the weight on either end of the tonearm is going in the same direction at any given moment just on the other half of a circle. There is no counterbalancing going on in the horizontal just the vertical motion.

Last edited:
Idek why I’m in this thread but I enjoy today’s discovery that @Joe Mac just wanders from thread to thread telling stressed out audiophiles to have a drink. You’re a good man Joe Mac
He's like David Carradine in Kung Fu The Legend Continues, except instead of solving problems with mad Kung Fu skills he just walks into the room and hands you a bottle of whiskey.

He's like David Carradine in Kung Fu The Legend Continues, except instead of solving problems with mad Kung Fu skills he just walks into the room and hands you a bottle of whiskey.

In my younger days I did once arrive at a party drunk and wander round trying to share my bottle of whiskey with everyone there…

Or for those Canadians in the audience, he's like The Littlest Hobo, except instead of a helpful German Shepard he's a drunk Irish Setter.

Back