The VPI Turntable Thread

The what?!??! 🤣
Look. I'm just educating you as to the world around you. The world of Canada, and salted cod and the majesty of Bruno Gerussi and the Beachcombers. Don't blame me if you can't handle the influx of GLORIOUS FUCKING CANADIANA.

I'd be gotdamn LUCKY to have worked on The Littlest Hobo and the Beachcombers. That dog is a goddamn SAINT!

If the world was a perfect place and all record spindle holes were perfectly centered mass would be less of a concern. As we know, a perfectly centered record is seldom achieved and that’s where the problems arise with heavier counterweights and heavier screws and inertia can be a problem. The less concentric the record the more side to side wiggles have to be dealt with by the cartridge assembly, as well as the groove walls of the record dealing with higher pressures as the stylus has to change direction with each non-concentric revolution.
This explains some things audibly for me! Thanks for posting this. Little lightbulb moment here.

You guys know if the size of a counterweight affects effective mass? Did not like what I was hearing last night after I installed the larger weight and screws.

Yeah I might just go back to the smaller 160 gram weight and the small screws even with the weight farther back than it probably should be. Things did not sound right last night.
Did you spend the same 7,000 hours on realignment after flipping the finger lift?

Did you spend the same 7,000 hours on realignment after flipping the finger lift?
Yeah basically, I'm just joking I think I got it done in less than ten minutes, I'm pretty quick with it at this point.
How much is the arm insert?
It's not much, like $75. But I'm already running, 180 gram (which cost $140 damn dollars), started at 160. I just wonder at what point it's going to affect tracking if I go up to 200.

Back