The Technics Turntable Fan Club - Questions, Advice, Discussion

Yeah, this is great. I'm willing to give it a go and report back. Will have some vacation time and be able to go to an Ikea NOT on a weekend which is the only time I will deal with that place at this point.

I've also been toying with the idea of a record weight, but that won't help this issue I assume, since this is more vibration transferred through to the arm right?
Correct. The weight helps keep the record flat against the platter but it won’t keep your stylus from jumping off the record if there’s some vibration either from a creaky floor or some heavy bass.

Hey all. I've got an SL-D2, sitting on an Ikea Eket cabinet, in a 100 year old house with REAL old floorboards. Walking by it with anything much above a tiptoe can cause it to skip. Any thoughts on reasonably priced isolation solution? Feet replacement? Something underneath with isolation type feet? Have looked a bit online but it's a big daunting world of things.
Have you considered an isolated platform attached to the wall studs?

There are a variety of turntable-specific mounts, though they are certainly a bit more spendy: Turntable Wall Mounts and Platforms-Audio Advisor

You could also look into DIY.

As mentioned above Project makes this one still, It seems to be derivative of the old classic Target Wall Shelf (hifi company not red one), Rega also has one.

I made a DIY wall shelf using 2 Home Depot Heavy Duty brackets and a piece of heavy Maple butcher block. Works nice. Attached the bracket to a piece of mdf that is screwed into wall studs.

As far as other isolation ideas, some like using the $20 Ikea Bamboo butchers block under there respective tables

You can get a nice John Boos maple butcher block on Amazon or Ebay for about $100.

A sandbox is another idea. filling the inside of a DIY box with play sand and a top. Some have sucess using air bladders approach like a bicycle tube inder a rigid board.

As mentioned above Project makes this one still, It seems to be derivative of the old classic Target Wall Shelf (hifi company not red one), Rega also has one.

I made a DIY wall shelf using 2 Home Depot Heavy Duty brackets and a piece of heavy Maple butcher block. Works nice. Attached the bracket to a piece of mdf that is screwed into wall studs.

As far as other isolation ideas, some like using the $20 Ikea Bamboo butchers block under there respective tables

You can get a nice John Boos maple butcher block on Amazon or Ebay for about $100.

A sandbox is another idea. filling the inside of a DIY box with play sand and a top. Some have sucess using air bladders approach like a bicycle tube inder a rigid board.
Very helpful thanks! I'm gonna try a bamboo board and some vibrapods first and see how far that gets me before I go shelf route. Might end up there anyways, but worst case I have an extra cutting board and the vibrapods will get used some point somewhere.

Very helpful thanks! I'm gonna try a bamboo board and some vibrapods first and see how far that gets me before I go shelf route. Might end up there anyways, but worst case I have an extra cutting board and the vibrapods will get used some point somewhere.
Good luck, hope that works out for you.

I did a good deal of consideration on a custom floating shelf. I ended up just getting a 1210GR instead. Solved the issue so apparently it was the right move.

True but I think that any shelf short of a solid gold one is going to be cheaper than a 1200/1210 GR if one is already happy with their existing turntable!

Last edited:
True but I think that any shelf short of a solid gold one is going to be cheaper than a 1200/1210 GR if one is already happy with their existing turntable!
Not by a whole lot by the time I had accounted for opening the wood wall to supplement the studs with floating rods and associated bracing. Also, a good looking solid block shelf properly jigged for the rods is easily half the turntable's cost.

Not by a whole lot by the time I had accounted for opening the wood wall to supplement the studs with floating rods and associated bracing. Also, a good looking solid block shelf properly jigged for the rods is easily half the turntable's cost.

Yeah I know I was half teasing because it’s you and half more used to the fact that we tend to have solid block walls over here more often than not. All things being equal it’s a fair old jump as a turntable too.

Hey all. I've got an SL-D2, sitting on an Ikea Eket cabinet, in a 100 year old house with REAL old floorboards. Walking by it with anything much above a tiptoe can cause it to skip. Any thoughts on reasonably priced isolation solution? Feet replacement? Something underneath with isolation type feet? Have looked a bit online but it's a big daunting world of things.
If I recall the D2 is not a very heavy unit? A trick with the 1200's was to get four plastic ashtrays and string elastic bands through the cutouts and place the feet on the elastic bands. Plastic ashtrays and elastic bands are inexpensive and you would need to "size" the elastic bands for the weight of your turntable but it might be worth trying. The next step up the ladder might be to get a cement piece from Home Depot and construct a device that holds the cement on large elastic bands (I bought a bag of 100 large thick long elastic bands for not too much $ a few years ago) and place the turntable on that. No guarantees and requires some DIY. After that your into $$.

The other thing to consider is the cartridge/stylus combo. Shures with the brush are really stable but that moves you into a whole different world of crazy dealing with vintage cartridges.

Pat

So now that I'm back to running my SL-3300 for the time being, is there much recommendation on getting a better headshell?

I really don't know what this one is I'm using - if it's what originally came with the deck or some cheap replacement.

Looking on Amazon, it seems there should be some difference from those in the $10 range to those in the $100 range.

This is the only one I've had for this table.

_DSC0011.JPG

So now that I'm back to running my SL-3300 for the time being, is there much recommendation on getting a better headshell?

I really don't know what this one is I'm using - if it's what originally came with the deck or some cheap replacement.

Looking on Amazon, it seems there should be some difference from those in the $10 range to those in the $100 range.

This is the only one I've had for this table.

View attachment 103996
That appears to me to be the original factory headshell. @psemeraro would know for sure. He’s our resident Technics expert.

That appears to me to be the original factory headshell. @psemeraro would know for sure. He’s our resident Technics expert.

Cool. I looked up some images at Turntable Engine, and it didn't quite look the same as some images they have.

I know that this turntable isn't really that great - it works and plays fine, but it's got hardwired phono cables, so unless I do something about that, I doubt any headshell will make much difference.

If the cutting board and pods don’t work out, I’d look at the Auralex turntable platform. Back when I lived in the GTA my apartment had a GO Train line running behind it, which made the building rumble every time one of the commuter trains whizzed by. The auralex solved the train related playback issues without costing a fortune. I think it was $100 CAD at the time.

If the cutting board and pods don’t work out, I’d look at the Auralex turntable platform. Back when I lived in the GTA my apartment had a GO Train line running behind it, which made the building rumble every time one of the commuter trains whizzed by. The auralex solved the train related playback issues without costing a fortune. I think it was $100 CAD at the time.
Well hello, checking back in. The cutting board and vibrapods helped, a little, but they were still no match for 100yr old house and a 5 year old regularly stampeding. So I ended up with a shelf from Peerless audio through best buy for 45 bucks. Let me say, first - it ain't pretty, but I gotta work with the space I got right? BUT..with it, I myself, a near 200lb individual can jump up and down in front of the turntable with NO effect. So I'm thrilled. I can actually play records while my child is awake now !PXL_20210802_205548495.jpg :)

Well hello, checking back in. The cutting board and vibrapods helped, a little, but they were still no match for 100yr old house and a 5 year old regularly stampeding. So I ended up with a shelf from Peerless audio through best buy for 45 bucks. Let me say, first - it ain't pretty, but I gotta work with the space I got right? BUT..with it, I myself, a near 200lb individual can jump up and down in front of the turntable with NO effect. So I'm thrilled. I can actually play records while my child is awake now !View attachment 107521 :)
My experience has proven Vibrapods pretty useless. Congrats!

I am thinking of getting a renovated SL1210-MK5G to replace my MoFi StudioDeck that just has too many issues. I'm pretty intrigued by the direct drive, and the reviews I'm seeing are good.

This model does not come with a headshell and cartridge, so I was considering a Nagaoka MP-200. I like their clear sound, but I notice that many in this thread have AT cartridges. Are AT's known to work best with this deck? Is there anything I should be aware of if I get that Nagaoka (aside from possible VTA adjustments)?

Back