The Technics Turntable Fan Club - Questions, Advice, Discussion

Wow, congrats! When it arrives I'll let you take a vintage 1200 Mk2 home and you can give a proper HiFi Guy analysis of how the new improves on the classic.
Pat
Earlier this week I was playing records at home and went to start the platter on my Ultradeck with my left hand. I had to laugh because I’ve already gotten used to the 1200s at the station. So this is partially your doing. 😎

When it arrives, you are welcome to come over for a listen.

Very interested to see if you think it beats out the UD significantly. I think it will, but it's just different in everyway. It'll almost be hard to an extent. Can't beat the simplicity though!
There are a couple of things I’m looking forward to:

Easily adjustable VTA that is easily repeatable.

Removable head shell to make swapping to a mono cartridge easy for instance.

Plus, the 3 layer platter. And bombproof construction.

World of Turntables did a review of the GR. The pictures the reviewer took show that he put the counterweight on backwards. 🙄

View attachment 101244
Backwards counterweight on Technics is a known method of putting the weight closer to the pivot. Looks funny but it works. Acceleromator measurements on the tonearm will show a higher primary resonant frequency and slightly cleaner resonant behavior with the counterweight closer to the pivot. For actual measurements of counterweights, headshells, arm tubes, main bearings and more, the Korf Blog is a great resource. Blog Table of Contents Not Technics specific but the science seems sound.

Backwards counterweight on Technics is a known method of putting the weight closer to the pivot. Looks funny but it works. Acceleromator measurements on the tonearm will show a higher primary resonant frequency and slightly cleaner resonant behavior with the counterweight closer to the pivot. For actual measurements of counterweights, headshells, arm tubes, main bearings and more, the Korf Blog is a great resource. Blog Table of Contents Not Technics specific but the science seems sound.
Interesting. I knew it was desirable to have the counterweight as close to the pivot point as possible. I didn’t know it could be done by flipping the weight “backwards”.

Interesting link too!

Hey all. I've got an SL-D2, sitting on an Ikea Eket cabinet, in a 100 year old house with REAL old floorboards. Walking by it with anything much above a tiptoe can cause it to skip. Any thoughts on reasonably priced isolation solution? Feet replacement? Something underneath with isolation type feet? Have looked a bit online but it's a big daunting world of things.

Hey all. I've got an SL-D2, sitting on an Ikea Eket cabinet, in a 100 year old house with REAL old floorboards. Walking by it with anything much above a tiptoe can cause it to skip. Any thoughts on reasonably priced isolation solution? Feet replacement? Something underneath with isolation type feet? Have looked a bit online but it's a big daunting world of things.
I personally have yet to try this but have considered something like this but with IKEA bamboo butcher block cutting board and Vibrapods.

I personally have yet to try this but have considered something like this but with IKEA bamboo butcher block cutting board and Vibrapods.

Yeah, this is great. I'm willing to give it a go and report back. Will have some vacation time and be able to go to an Ikea NOT on a weekend which is the only time I will deal with that place at this point.

I've also been toying with the idea of a record weight, but that won't help this issue I assume, since this is more vibration transferred through to the arm right?

Back