The Stoned Ape & Clint Howard's Super Rappy Vinyl Sub Thing

Ok. Was thinking it was Sam Sneed. East Coast artist signed to Death Row and had an unreleased album with production by Dr Dre. interested in who it is

I don't want to let the cat out the bag but I think fans of 90s rap will be pleasantly surprised. Definitely not really even a superstar from that era but a really dope rapper from a really dope crew that had connections out west.

Hey guys finally made it! Anyway love the Hip Hop subscriptiin idea and like I was saying on the original post I have toyed with this idea. If it were me, I’d aim for out of print classics, as well as Underground albums that didn’t have a wide release. I gave an example of Freestyle Fellowship’s To Whom it May concern as a possible choice. OOP classics like Company Flow’s Fun Crusher or Saffir’s Box car session which has never been on vinyl except as a promo. Of course accessibility to these titles would have to be the first and foremost concern however. Another album Yagffu Front’s Action Packed adventure or Trendz of Culture. I’ll put together a list of Albums as well of albums I think would be attractive to subscribers and post it here to see what you think.

Funcrusher doesn't feel as underground as what's being proposed here, but, like @Clint Howard said, I couldn't see that ever happening anyway. EL-P reissued Funcrusher Plus with Def Jux in 2009. Last year, he tweeted about reissues for Fan Dam and I'll Sleep being on the way, and, since he clearly owns the Co Flow stuff, too, he'd just do it himself.

@The_Stoned_Ape & @Clint Howard i want this vinyl sub to be very Southern Rap/Hip Hop focused.tons of Memphis shit i would love to own on Vinyl format Gangsta Pat - Deadly Versus,Kingpin Skinny Pimp - King of Da Playaz Ball etc..would love to see as much of the Prophet Entertainment/Hypnotize Minds back catalog as we can get.Paul & Juicy own all rights to all their released music.would love to see forgotten classic albums from Alabama artist The Last Mr. Bigg - Only If U Knew,Dirty - The Pimp & Da Gangsta and from ATL would love to own some '98-'01 era Pastor Troy albums on vinyl.

@The_Stoned_Ape & @Clint Howard i want this vinyl sub to be very Southern Rap/Hip Hop focused.tons of Memphis shit i would love to own on Vinyl format Gangsta Pat - Deadly Versus,Kingpin Skinny Pimp - King of Da Playaz Ball etc..would love to see as much of the Prophet Entertainment/Hypnotize Minds back catalog as we can get.Paul & Juicy own all rights to all their released music.would love to see forgotten classic albums from Alabama artist The Last Mr. Bigg - Only If U Knew,Dirty - The Pimp & Da Gangsta and from ATL would love to own some '98-'01 era Pastor Troy albums on vinyl.

Whats your favourite Evil Pimp album? Be so cool if they could do some of his music up.

And all those old memphis tapes haha

Was randomly thinking about this last night/today. I'm not too knowledgeable about the underground southern scene but having some stuff from the underground midwest/Chicago scene would be amazing and more up my alley.

I'm thinking along the lines of Crucial Conflict, Psychodrama, Triple Darkness, The Dayton Family, Ric Jilla, Sandman/King Sandman, etc.

Last edited:
Trust me I am on your side when it comes to Southern focused releases. If it were just me that's probably all I'd do. But @Clint Howard offers a nice juxtaposition to my tastes, and always makes sure I am not solely focusing on the New Orleans/Memphis/Texas niche. I think most importantly we will seek out to make sure that every release is a 'forgotten gem' in some sense. Stuff that very few others would have the interest in even releasing. And making these something really special for those that own them.

Trust me I am on your side when it comes to Southern focused releases. If it were just me that's probably all I'd do. But @Clint Howard offers a nice juxtaposition to my tastes, and always makes sure I am not solely focusing on the New Orleans/Memphis/Texas niche. I think most importantly we will seek out to make sure that every release is a 'forgotten gem' in some sense. Stuff that very few others would have the interest in even releasing. And making these something really special for those that own them.

Could not have said it better myself!

That means a lot to hear. I really pride myself on my knowledge of good music. It just so happens that I believe rap, and New Orleans rap in particularly is far less documented & preserved then say, Blues or Jazz.

One of my all time heroes in the vinyl/music world is Alan Lomax. He was the founder of Folkways, and had the foresight to hunt a lot of the old blues & folk musicians down before they died and record them on a lathe cut he had built into the back of his car. He got Leadbelly released from prison just because the man could sing. He let musicians stay in his house when they were too broke or fucked up to take care of themselves. He did it cause he loved the music and recognized it's importance to the human condition.

I want to do for New Orleans rap (and other Southern cities) what Alan Lomax did for Blues & Folk.
So this is really interesting to me. Mainly, that you are preserving music that needs a champion and someone that understands NOLA. I think this might be a really cool thing to talk to other preservationists around the city. I think there is a lot of interest in the community and I think you could get a lot of support that way too. I'm not a big fan of rap but I am getting excited over this. It's a really amazing project.

Was randomly thinking about this last night/today. I'm not too knowledgeable about the underground southern scene but having some stuff from the underground midwest/Chicago scene would be amazing and more up my alley.

I'm thinking along the lines of Crucial Conflict, Psychodrama, Triple Darkness, The Dayton Family, Ric Jilla, Sandman/King Sandman, etc.
I could almost definitely get a M.C. Def Ski - Rap Tyrant pressing going. He let me do a bunch of shirts with 0 issue recently. Ultra-deep cut, early 90's, Chicago Horror Core. I've raved about this album before on the old forums, but it's seriously like some sick rapper just going off on semi-Nine Inch Nails beats lol. I love it, and that cover is fantastic. Only 4 tracks though.

So this is really interesting to me. Mainly, that you are preserving music that needs a champion and someone that understands NOLA. I think this might be a really cool thing to talk to other preservationists around the city. I think there is a lot of interest in the community and I think you could get a lot of support that way too. I'm not a big fan of rap but I am getting excited over this. It's a really amazing project.
I agree that from a historical perspective there is a lot of value here. I've thought about assembling some sort of team, but unfortunately a lot of the big names down here aren't the easiest or cheapest guys to work with. I can get to a lot of the more underground guys that never made much in the first place, but as far as ownership it's rare that they even own the music. It'd be damn near impossible to do this in a fully above-board way without a lot of infrastructure and investment. For the first few these will definitely fall in the grey-market category, but we will at least make sure the artist is getting something out of the back-end.

I'm not even from LA, so I don't necessarily understand it to the same degree as @The_Stoned_Ape but as I've mentioned to him as well.. I've been trying to track down obscure/indie NOLA rap releases for over 10 years for this exact reason.. a preservation of the scene.

I agree that from a historical perspective there is a lot of value here. I've thought about assembling some sort of team, but unfortunately a lot of the big names down here aren't the easiest or cheapest guys to work with. I can get to a lot of the more underground guys that never made much in the first place, but as far as ownership it's rare that they even own the music. It'd be damn near impossible to do this in a fully above-board way without a lot of infrastructure and investment. For the first few these will definitely fall in the grey-market category, but we will at least make sure the artist is getting something out of the back-end.

On a completely unrelated to rap tip, are you familiar with the King Biscuit Boy - S/T record? Canadian blues dude who hooked up with Toussaint and The Meters to record that record. I think it flies under the radar for a lot of their fans.

this is definitely promising but i kinda dunno about having exclusively old releases as the ROTM... i find there is a lot of usefulness in the modern scene (the definition can be as old as the 2000s or as new as today). and that acts like $uicideboy$ getting a vinyl pressing would be great

On a completely unrelated to rap tip, are you familiar with the King Biscuit Boy - S/T record? Canadian blues dude who hooked up with Toussaint and The Meters to record that record. I think it flies under the radar for a lot of their fans.
I vaguely remember reading about this when I was on a hardcore Meters kick. Definitely under the radar. But if we do a Meters release I wanna do their album with Earl King, called 'Street Parade'. That shit is impossible to find in the states. Only got a single Japanese pressing.

Just one lone song from the album is to be found online.

I vaguely remember reading about this when I was on a hardcore Meters kick. Definitely under the radar. But if we do a Meters release I wanna do their album with Earl King, called 'Street Parade'. That shit is impossible to find in the states. Only got a single Japanese pressing.

Just one lone song from the album is to be found online.

Any idea when this was recorded?

not a fan $uicideboy$ not into the whole new gen trying to revamp the classic Memphis sound and making it sound all generic and repackage it like it's something new.tho i'm a huge fan of Lil Ugly Mane he brings something refreshing to the Memphis sound and does it very well his production is top notch in my opinion and i own a lot of his discography.

not a fan $uicideboy$ not into the whole new gen trying to revamp the classic Memphis sound and making it sound all generic and repackage it like it's something new.tho i'm a huge fan of Lil Ugly Mane he brings something refreshing to the Memphis sound and does it very well his production is top notch in my opinion and i own a lot of his discography.

I don't know if it's a popular opinion or not but I really don't feel like anyone is fucking with LUM right now. It's like a dude raised on southern rap but through a lens of a nyc-style ditc-producer and a mesh of sounds of both and more. I don't love all of his stuff, although I own all of his records except for that Secret Circle 7".. but some of his tracks are just incredible.. On Doing An Evil Deed Blues is one of my favorite rap records of the last decade.

Back