The Stoned Ape & Clint Howard's Super Rappy Vinyl Sub Thing

if its dj paul/juicy j and they want to repress them old tapes (but remastered) then Id move heaven n hell for that lol only cause the tapes out are in desperate need of remaster and I doubt anyone will ever buy and remaster those on vinyl EVER
You'd be surprised, that old Memphis scene is getting hit heavy with hipsters and producers right now. Shit they just put Lil Sko - Miss White Cocaine on GTA Online...That's a big reason why I try to document and preserve all this New Orleans stuff. Just now are the producers really starting to mine the stacks down here. Beyonce & Drake just used classic Bounce samples etc. And I am pretty certain that guys like Tommy Wright III are bigger now then ever.

I'm gonna say from what I've seen through VMP forum you two seem perfect to run this. But I just have a feeling at least to start it might be a bit too underground for me. But either way, I'm following in case I'm wrong and would love to opt in if so

Come to the dark side with us.. The deep down dark side xD
You wouldnt believe how much quality music is "underground"

I'm gonna say from what I've seen through VMP forum you two seem perfect to run this. But I just have a feeling at least to start it might be a bit too underground for me. But either way, I'm following in case I'm wrong and would love to opt in if so
That means a lot to hear. I really pride myself on my knowledge of good music. It just so happens that I believe rap, and New Orleans rap in particularly is far less documented & preserved then say, Blues or Jazz.

One of my all time heroes in the vinyl/music world is Alan Lomax. He was the founder of Folkways, and had the foresight to hunt a lot of the old blues & folk musicians down before they died and record them on a lathe cut he had built into the back of his car. He got Leadbelly released from prison just because the man could sing. He let musicians stay in his house when they were too broke or fucked up to take care of themselves. He did it cause he loved the music and recognized it's importance to the human condition.

I want to do for New Orleans rap (and other Southern cities) what Alan Lomax did for Blues & Folk.

Yo, my buddy at SOH is tracking down contacts for Suave House. I’ll pass them along in a PM once I have them.

Also, my buddy Brad over at Euphonic Masters does a some vinyl mastering, but he doesn’t generally do RHH. Would y’all like me to touch base with him to see who he sends folks to? I’m pretty sure it’s another cat in Memphis.

Yo, my buddy at SOH is tracking down contacts for Suave House. I’ll pass them along in a PM once I have them.

Also, my buddy Brad over at Euphonic Masters does a some vinyl mastering, but he doesn’t generally do RHH. Would y’all like me to touch base with him to see who he sends folks to? I’m pretty sure it’s another cat in Memphis.

Definitely! This is a great start! And always happy to have more engineers in the mix

I would 100% sign up for this the moment the gates open.

To specifically answer your questions...

1. I would be most excited for under-the-radar releases that spoke to the evolution of hip hop throughout the years. But I'd also be pumped for forgotten gems. Basically, I want my horizons expanded.

2. Listening notes would be key. Again, anything that helps inform my understanding of the work.

3. As evidenced by my two previous answers, the historical aspect would be the biggest selling point to me personally.

4. Basically, I'd want something like this to serve as a living, breathing museum of hip hop history.

I love this idea. Please do this!

How about a 7" + cassette.

I could probably get this one done fairly easily. Was the tape that introduced U.N.L.V. and got them picked up by Cash Money. There are 2 versions, one on Cash Money, and the first one that is just self recorded. This tape in either form is extremely hard to find. My buddy has a Cash Money one that was just barely salvageable. So I think making this available in both formats would be awesome, and I think that for this one specifically it's important to come out on cassette like it originally did, with the hand written labels.

if its dj paul/juicy j and they want to repress them old tapes (but remastered) then Id move heaven n hell for that lol only cause the tapes out are in desperate need of remaster and I doubt anyone will ever buy and remaster those on vinyl EVER

We got them to release Mystic Stylez a few years back. It isn't out the of the realm of possibility that those projects could get released. Now if you are talking about the straight up mixtapes, that may be a different story. Clearing all of the samples might make it nearly impossible.

We got them to release Mystic Stylez a few years back. It isn't out the of the realm of possibility that those projects could get released. Now if you are talking about the straight up mixtapes, that may be a different story. Clearing all of the samples might make it nearly impossible.

We? who is we?

Yeh everything before mystic styles is samples from movies and other memphis artist.
It was just one big reuse orgy at the time.
So we would need a shady presser and a good master/remaster dude.

But it could happen :O :O right? please tell me it could :(

Hey guys finally made it! Anyway love the Hip Hop subscriptiin idea and like I was saying on the original post I have toyed with this idea. If it were me, I’d aim for out of print classics, as well as Underground albums that didn’t have a wide release. I gave an example of Freestyle Fellowship’s To Whom it May concern as a possible choice. OOP classics like Company Flow’s Fun Crusher or Saffir’s Box car session which has never been on vinyl except as a promo. Of course accessibility to these titles would have to be the first and foremost concern however. Another album Yagffu Front’s Action Packed adventure or Trendz of Culture. I’ll put together a list of Albums as well of albums I think would be attractive to subscribers and post it here to see what you think.

Hey guys finally made it! Anyway love the Hip Hop subscriptiin idea and like I was saying on the original post I have toyed with this idea. If it were me, I’d aim for out of print classics, as well as Underground albums that didn’t have a wide release. I gave an example of Freestyle Fellowship’s To Whom it May concern as a possible choice. OOP classics like Company Flow’s Fun Crusher or Saffir’s Box car session which has never been on vinyl except as a promo. Of course accessibility to these titles would have to be the first and foremost concern however. Another album Yagffu Front’s Action Packed adventure or Trendz of Culture. I’ll put together a list of Albums as well of albums I think would be attractive to subscribers and post it here to see what you think.
Definitely do that list. I potentially could get in with Freestyle Fellowship because I have contacts for Josef Leimberg who produced quite a few of their albums. He's now making some of the best jazz out today, and occasionally does some producing (To Pimp A Butterfly), but back in the day he was heavy in the California Hip-Hop scene, and was 1/3 of the group Mad Kap.

I have Saafir's phone number kicking around here somewhere so we could definitely get him involved. Will just have to figure out who bought out EastWest (iirc?) and owns the masters now. Funcrusher Plus I can't really see happening simply because El-P wants to do it himself afaik. On the Saafir tip, I was really looking to try and get that Plan Bee EP reissued (that's why I originally got his number years ago)..

But definitely would like to see what else is on your list.

So I thought I'd start this over here and see if I'm not a complete luddite::

I will post all the info that I think is relevant from the old thread:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now, I have access to an unreleased Death Row album that was recorded in the 90s by an East Coast artist. Has a feature from Canibus amongst a few others and I believe production on one song by Dre? Would there be interest in this as an initial release?

And I think that sums up most of what me and Ape have put forth so far. I urge everyone else to answer Ape's questions over here or maybe cut and paste them from the other place before they go?

Is this mc featured on the Murder Was the Case Soundtrack?

Is this mc featured on the Murder Was the Case Soundtrack?

No.. he is not. I had completely forgotten he had signed with Death Row until I got in touch with him recently... I think there were ads for his forthcoming album but nothing ever came of it!

No.. he is not. I had completely forgotten he had signed with Death Row until I got in touch with him recently... I think there were ads for his forthcoming album but nothing ever came of it!
Ok. Was thinking it was Sam Sneed. East Coast artist signed to Death Row and had an unreleased album with production by Dr Dre. interested in who it is

Back