The Stoned Ape & Clint Howard's Super Rappy Vinyl Sub Thing

Resident Alien as in the Prince Paul group? If so, you have great taste. Would love to see / make that happen.

INI has been dope a couple times already..

Which Last Emperor?

Bet we'll see King Tee done by a grek market Euro label.

And Dream Warriors could definitely be done!

Yes on Residen Alien and Prince Paul

Last Emperor Legend of Big Foot and even Music Magic Myth

INI- I’ve seen Grap talking about what’s been released hasn’t been the way it was intended. Maybe I’m wrong.

Yes on Residen Alien and Prince Paul

Last Emperor Legend of Big Foot and even Music Magic Myth

INI- I’ve seen Grap talking about what’s been released hasn’t been the way it was intended. Maybe I’m wrong.

If you're a Prince Paul fan, as I'm guessing you are, definitely track down the Horror City EP he put out on Chopped Herring. A lot of proto-Prince Among Thieves stuff on there. Will definitely try to reach out to him about it but for some reason, I feel like he already has a relationship with CH and would probably stick with them.. but who knows?

It's been damn near twenty years since I talked about Last Emperor.. remind me - Legend Of Big Foot was the album he recorded for.. Aftermath iirc? Or was it someone else? And it's never been released.. huh..

As far as the INI goes, Pete Rock licensed out Center Of Attention to BBE 15 years ago and then again to HHV within the last 5 years or so I believe? I believe what was released is the intended commercial album but I'm sure they have a bunch more tracks recorded from that era that could be included.. I mean Rob O had a bunch of 12's and EPs they released in Japan a few years later that I'm sure were from around the same time.

Sorry I'm late to this but I think this is an awesome endeavor. I applaud you guys for chasing your dreams and I really hope it works out for you. I will be in as long as my funds will allow it! I'd love to see you dive into the Houston underground with artists like K-Rino, Ganksta NIP, Big Mello, ESG, Mr. 3-2, and most of all, either Southside Playaz album.

I love periodically popping my head in here and not knowing what in the hell anyone is talking about... Keep it up I will subscribe to your Super Rappy Thing.

Feel free to ask any questions if you got them. As @The_Stoned_Ape has said, there's definitely an educational / preservational aspect to what we're trying to do and the more people know about this stuff, the longer it can live on. And the more informed people are, the more informed they can be when they tell people about this new record / album / ep / whatever they heard about through it

Sorry I'm late to this but I think this is an awesome endeavor. I applaud you guys for chasing your dreams and I really hope it works out for you. I will be in as long as my funds will allow it! I'd love to see you dive into the Houston underground with artists like K-Rino, Ganksta NIP, Big Mello, ESG, Mr. 3-2, and most of all, either Southside Playaz album.

Glad to hear it! We're definitely going to try and do a lot of different stuff from the South provided there's enough people to support it. I'd like to show more people there's a market for this kinda stuff and get more people involved.

If you're a Prince Paul fan, as I'm guessing you are, definitely track down the Horror City EP he put out on Chopped Herring. A lot of proto-Prince Among Thieves stuff on there. Will definitely try to reach out to him about it but for some reason, I feel like he already has a relationship with CH and would probably stick with them.. but who knows?

It's been damn near twenty years since I talked about Last Emperor.. remind me - Legend Of Big Foot was the album he recorded for.. Aftermath iirc? Or was it someone else? And it's never been released.. huh..

As far as the INI goes, Pete Rock licensed out Center Of Attention to BBE 15 years ago and then again to HHV within the last 5 years or so I believe? I believe what was released is the intended commercial album but I'm sure they have a bunch more tracks recorded from that era that could be included.. I mean Rob O had a bunch of 12's and EPs they released in Japan a few years later that I'm sure were from around the same time.

The Last Emperor I believe would of probably been Rawkus.

I’ve had a few conversations with Grap Luva so I’ve reached out to him to clarify for me but I’m pretty sure there was something. I’ll let you know if I hear anything. Pete never responds to anything.

I’ll throw all The UMCs-Fruits of Nature too

giphy.gif

I'm not even from LA, so I don't necessarily understand it to the same degree as @The_Stoned_Ape but as I've mentioned to him as well.. I've been trying to track down obscure/indie NOLA rap releases for over 10 years for this exact reason.. a preservation of the scene.
NOLA is just different and that's why it leaves such an impression on locals and transplants alike. I live just outside of NOLA, was born here, spent my childhood in Mississippi and then came back here for HS, and stayed. I would love to contribute to this project--even in a small way. I would be terrible as a curator but I have had experience in project management. I just get excited when people talk about preserving NOLA culture!

The Last Emperor I believe would of probably been Rawkus.

I’ve had a few conversations with Grap Luva so I’ve reached out to him to clarify for me but I’m pretty sure there was something. I’ll let you know if I hear anything. Pete never responds to anything.

I’ll throw all The UMCs-Fruits of Nature too

I swear... maybe my memory is off.. but I could've sworn there were talks of him signing to Aftermath or another major around that time. I might just be mixing it up with the Royce album that he recorded for Aftermath around the same time.

And UMC's! I remember going to a local record store when Kool Kim's single dropped in 97ish? And there was a guy trying to sell his friends on the record and it went something like 'Kool Kim yo! You gotta check this out.. that's Kool Keith's bitch!'

Reactions: DK3
NOLA is just different and that's why it leaves such an impression on locals and transplants alike. I live just outside of NOLA, was born here, spent my childhood in Mississippi and then came back here for HS, and stayed. I would love to contribute to this project--even in a small way. I would be terrible as a curator but I have had experience in project management. I just get excited when people talk about preserving NOLA culture!

Whatever we can do to preserve the culture and scene, I'm all on board for .. so, mayhaps we can figure something out!

Whatever we can do to preserve the culture and scene, I'm all on board for .. so, mayhaps we can figure something out!
I also have a teeny bit of experience writing grants for government funds. I think that this project could get some sort of NEA grant if written correctly.

I also have a teeny bit of experience writing grants for government funds. I think that this project could get some sort of NEA grant if written correctly.

I think we'd definitely be interested in that. Likewise, I think we could be eligible for some Canadian grants for doing some Canadian musicians too. (Our government likes to fund independent musicians / projects so our artists can try to compete with our neighbours to the south)

I think we'd definitely be interested in that. Likewise, I think we could be eligible for some Canadian grants for doing some Canadian musicians too. (Our government likes to fund independent musicians / projects so our artists can try to compete with our neighbours to the south)
no offense most Canadian Rap/Hip Hop i've heard is whack i'm sure there is some obscure underground artist that is dope i haven't heard tho.a Canadian Hip Hop album i really enjoyed is K'naan's the Dusty Foot Philosopher early album before he went all pop, I've also heard some dope stuff by Shad.

no offense most Canadian Rap/Hip Hop i've heard is whack i'm sure there is some obscure underground artist that is dope i haven't heard tho.a Canadian Hip Hop album i really enjoyed is K'naan's the Dusty Foot Philosopher early album before he went all pop, I've also heard some dope stuff by Shad.

That's totally fair! Some Canadian artists I'd recommend checking out: Maestro Fresh Wes, Saukrates (especially Hate Runs Deep), The Rascalz, early Kardinal Offishal, Da Grassroots, Buck 65, Ink Operated, Brass Tacks, Mathematik, Down To Erf, ... plenty more. I mean, you might hate all of it but there's a wide range of stuff out there!

You dont like dax? think its probably the only canadian rapper I like lol

That's totally fair! Some Canadian artists I'd recommend checking out: Maestro Fresh Wes, Saukrates (especially Hate Runs Deep), The Rascalz, early Kardinal Offishal, Da Grassroots, Buck 65, Ink Operated, Brass Tacks, Mathematik, Down To Erf, ... plenty more. I mean, you might hate all of it but there's a wide range of stuff out there!
will check some of that stuff out on you tube when i get some down time i'm always down to check out music i haven't heard of even if it necessarily to my liking.
You dont like dax? think its probably the only canadian rapper I like lol
i haven't heard of him before i'll check it out

Back